My friend wants to start learning guitar, which is awesome IMO. He is really into the metal aspect of music, Amon Amarth, Behemoth, and many others. I myself though, have not really participated in this music.

He wants to have a sound like Amon Amarth's new album "With Oden At Our Side". Now being that he does NOT have a guitar/amp/pretty much anything to do with guitar, he wants one.

Which guitar, amp (probably no pedals just because he needs to learn how to play first before he wanks around on pedals) would you, the trusty metal heads of UG recommend to him?

My thoughts were;
Jackson - of some sort
ESP - of some sort
Ibanez - of some sort
or even maybe a BCRich - of some sort

I've never seen AA's rig setup, sooooooo ya...
Enlighten me, oh wise ones.
Amon Amarth use ESPs and Hughes and Kettner I believe.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
well amon amarth use gibson dont they?
and krank amps i think

EDIT: ^^^ oh ok, maybe not.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
A lot of the sound comes from using combinations of pedals and certain amps. He shouldnt be looking at trying to sound like something too early. On the other hand, it might encourage him to learn if he had a sound very close to it.....
Personally, i think he should worry about learning the basics first before thinking about getting certain sounds out of his playing. Thus, he shouldnt be buying really expensive guitars and amps just yet, in case he doesnt like it.
My suggestions? Buy a cheap guitar, be it a Squier, Epiphone or some other cheaper manufacturer like Crafter and buy a fairly decent amp. Then take some lessons or try and learn by himself until he attains a level where spending more money becomes necessity.

I think this is the wrong forum for this though.....
No, you're right danielrobbyshor. I only say that because when I saw them they were using Hughes and Kettner and what looked like ESPs.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Ed Hunter
No, you're right danielrobbyshor. I only say that because when I saw them they were using Hughes and Kettner and what looked like ESPs.

ah ok, i think i remember seeing one of their videos when they were using gibson explorers, but i could be wrong.

wikipedia is usually good for this kinda thing.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I started out with a $50 used Epiphone (and I still play on it. I need to get a new guitar) and I can pretty much play all Amon Amarth songs.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
they use a guitar that looks like a gibson explorer, but it might be the esp version, it sounds like a krank amp. but i'd tell your friend not to worrry about getting that sound yet, thats a 3-4 grand sound just tell him to get a cheap rg and like a vox modeling amp or something.
When I saw them live at Sweden rock they used Gibson guitars and Peavey 5150's.
But that gear ain't cheap.

EDIT: Cort makes good guitars at reasonable prices, so I'd check them out. Amp wise I really like Randall myself.
Last edited by Renka at Sep 10, 2007,
Alright thanks guys,

He won't be spending a fortune on this stuff, even though he could, he has a p!mp job 25 bucks (cdn) an hour +

Its kinda my job to help him pick a guitar, and teach him and his girlfriend... lol
They are even gonna pay me, but thats beside the point
Obviously im not gonna make him pick up a 892347560968 $ guitar, especially for his first. Ill probably take him into L&M one day and let him see which guitar he ultimately wants to buy, after all its his cash right? im just gonna direct him.

BUT YES! Thank you guys, BTW I apologize if this was the wrong forum.

Thanks for the help!
i myself have lately been fond of the line6 SpiderIII series, when talking about practice amps. not that I have one, but whenever I go to my favorite music store, theres this Line6 SpiderIII HD150 head i always plug into. I know its the highest end of the series, but I know for a fact that lower end ones sound good too, just obviously less powerful. the main reason I use the HD150 is because i can just be like "sound like slipknot now", and it listens to me.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
Last edited by ConstableMurtis at Sep 10, 2007,
and in the ways of guitars, im really fond of lower end jacksons and lower end ESPs, because they generally hold up really well. of course, be sure to explain to your friend the whole Floyd Rose tremolo thing, cuz some jacksons have em, and he may not want to have to learn how to change that kind string yet.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
i've found the Lower End ESP's (Cheap LTD's) to be utter bollocks
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
A Roland Microcube would probably get him close to amon amarth tonewize, then he could spend a little more on a nice guitar.

Edit: Relativly close that is...
Quote by danielrobbyshor
well amon amarth use gibson dont they?
and krank amps i think

EDIT: ^^^ oh ok, maybe not.

no thats dethklok silly
I have a Peavey V-Type NTB ST and a Gibson Flying V. I infinitely prefer the Gibson, although it isn't a beginners guitar. I cannot recommend the Peavey highly enough, however.
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
i dont think he wants the exact guitar, as for a beginner getting a high caliber guitar is a bit of a waste, cause you never know if you will stick to it. as for what would sound like an amon amarth guitar, i really dont know seeing as im a bassist. but a starter guitar and a decent amp (and a knowledge fo tuning) can allow him to sound at least kinda like them, and if he continues he can move forward and get new gear.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.