hey im starting to get in to recording, can anyone help suggest some cheap software, mics or any kind of equipment to mess around with,im not looking for really expensive just some cheap stuff that sounds pretty reasonable, thanks alot.
define 'cheap'. for some, cheap is under $1000. others don't want to spend more than $100.

i recommend the MBox 2 for simple, amateur work.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
well, i bought an MBox2 factory bundle for $650 (although was around christmas time, i think there was a sale).

came with the MBox 2, ProTools LE 7 (with a good amount of plugins, including Amplitube LE and Reason - both of which carry a hefty price tag), a nice condenser mic, good speakers, etc. Everything you need except for studio headphones. Of course, if you buy a 1/8th" to 1/4th" adapter, you can use any set of headphones and it'll be just fine.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
garageband is cheap (free) and awesome. if you want to upgrade to logic later on, it is easy because logic is like the advanced version of garageband.

if you get an audio interface, get a firewire one. i have an m-audio firewire 410.

as for mics, start with a shure sm57. it is a good general purpose mic used in all recording studios.
with the MBox 2 (sorry im just starting to read about gear) will i need to plug it in the computer or what?
well im assuming so,but whats the bar minimum system requirements for it, if i can get away with it i might buy a cheap older computer that wont run me much cash....
well im reading up on it now and it seems ill need a pretty solid computer,although the one im using now could handle it, i want something i can work on in my jam room and not on this computer. so is there anything thats just as good but i wont need a high end computer?
Last edited by guitar_freak523 at Sep 10, 2007,
You need a very decent computer to get the goods out of protools (2ghz processor, 1gb+ ram, and a large 160+gb hard drive). It plugs in via usb.

I don't think it is the best choice, unless you are a hardcore recording enthusiast. The learning curve is steep, and you'd be better off starting out on a lesser hardware/software set up.

Check out cubase, that might be a.) cheaper and b.) require lower computer specifications.
im starting to sound like a mixcraft Ad however i want people to save money so i will recommend it again.

Try mixcraft 3...it doesnt support midi yet however you can try before you buy...its always nice to be able to to try before you buy...you will need a way to connect instrument to the computer then your all set...your older compter should be ok however it will work much better with a newer computer...make sure all programs and internet windows are closed when using mixcraft 3...it works better when you do that.

this program is pretty straight forward and easy to use which is a bonus for me.

Mixcraft 3 is really cheap as well and has real live drum loops and lots of other loops to use in the library.

Screenshot and link to Try Now trial.
http://1000watts.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=mr&action=display&thread=1177038701
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
Last edited by D_Vincent at Sep 10, 2007,
yeah i was planning getting maybe something with windows98/2000 or ME and just having the recording program on it
Quote by guitar_freak523
well cheap as in around the 500dollar price range i guess maybe alitte more

Mackie interface:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-Onyx-Satellite-Recording-Interface?sku=248154

Shure SM57 mics for whatever:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102

add cables for mics and hookup with the interface
Monitors will cost a lot and are not needed for messing around

this setup will give you some great results
if you need a firewire port on your computer just go to newegg.com and look up a card for your computer.
ok if well if anyone can please help with finding a good basic set up maybe something i can get for 500dollars or so. i really want to get something to record with by the end of october, so if anyone can help me with a good easy recording software program,a good interface with maybe 2 xlr inputs and something i could run on windows 2000 or something (i plan on buying a used computer and have just the software on the computer)
Quote by moody07747
Mackie interface:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-Onyx-Satellite-Recording-Interface?sku=248154

Shure SM57 mics for whatever:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102

add cables for mics and hookup with the interface
Monitors will cost a lot and are not needed for messing around

this setup will give you some great results
if you need a firewire port on your computer just go to newegg.com and look up a card for your computer.

This is probably your best option for starting out. Spend the extra money on getting a better computer - you don't need to spend $500 if you are just messing around. Besides a better computer will make the recording process much less frustrating.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

well i have a new computer but everyone in my family uses it lol, so i was just looking for something i can leave up in my jam room.