Page 1 of 3
Like the title says.. How much guitar wankery (shredding) is too much?

My band plays hard rock/metal, and there is a little guitar wankery going on. We only have one guitar player, and he also sings lead vocals, which doesn't leave him too much time to wank off (ha i love that word, wank). Some of the bands we play with though, have 2 guitars and a seperate person singing. When those bands play it is constant guitar solos, even when the singer is midverse. And honestly it annoys me, they think it adds to the song, but it hurts the lyrics and the song as a whole.

Maybe i'm just trippin', but what do you guys think? Should the guitar solo's have their own spot in the song? Or should they just solo the whole song?
Solos should have their own spot somewhere in the song . i don't like song that are full of solos but in reality they are not adding anything to the whole vibe
Hi
one note is too much :/
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
This is gonna turn into a biased "fhlame war" so I'm not sure what else to add...
Shreddings great fun in the right song, the moment it gets crap is when it just gets into a wankfest and doesnt follow the songs melody or rythm, follow them and its crazy sexy
Quote by buckethead_jr
There is no such thing as too much shredding.

Yes but only if you're in an instrumental band.
Hi
Quote by abhishek21
Yes but only if you're in an instrumental band.

Nope, it goes with every music.

When i listen to something, if there isn't a shredding guitar behind the lyrics, if there is no part in the song that says 'Holy ****, look how fast i'm playing!', if there is time for the listener to take a breath in between the notes, it's just simply not worth listening to.
Last edited by buckethead_jr at Sep 10, 2007,
Quote by buckethead_jr

When i listen to something, if there isn't a shredding guitar solo behind the lyrics, if there is no part in the song that says 'Holy ****, look how fast i'm playing!', if there is time for the listener to take a breath in between the notes, it's just simply not worth listening to.

And BJ wins a cookie!

+1
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
^^ Haha, I love this guy "Buckethead jr". But no, shredding sucks. Only way you can tell when it's time for the guitar solo is when the vocals stop. Poo Ca Ca.
Quote by buckethead_jr

When i listen to something, if there isn't a shredding guitar solo behind the lyrics, if there is no part in the song that says 'Holy ****, look how fast i'm playing!', if there is time for the listener to take a breath in between the notes, it's just simply not worth listening to.

Your ideals will cause many exploding heads in the near future.
Quote by buckethead_jr

+264374775264375568465369876754
[yeah keyboard shredding]
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
yes theres spots for them,never when vocals are going it just jacks them both up and makes it sound messy,there good for repetitive breakdowns/bridges outro's even in chorus but only if its instrumental
I think a band like Children of Bodom has the balance just right, where they have small shred licks and chops throughout, but (usually) one main solo. Any more than that is too much.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Quote by One Thread
Like the title says.. How much guitar wankery (shredding) is too much?

My band plays hard rock/metal, and there is a little guitar wankery going on. We only have one guitar player, and he also sings lead vocals, which doesn't leave him too much time to wank off (ha i love that word, wank). Some of the bands we play with though, have 2 guitars and a seperate person singing. When those bands play it is constant guitar solos, even when the singer is midverse. And honestly it annoys me, they think it adds to the song, but it hurts the lyrics and the song as a whole.

Maybe i'm just trippin', but what do you guys think? Should the guitar solo's have their own spot in the song? Or should they just solo the whole song?

Why do you necessarily need solos?

Solos are not essential to a song.
Songs do not need shredding to be memorable and sound heavy and hard. Look at songs like Again by Alice in Chains, Forty-six&2 by Tool, Cochise by Audioslave, and Angry Chair. Those songs don't really have a solo. The 'solo' in Again is like 5 notes. But no one would contest those songs as sounding awesome and heavy by rock/metal standards.

Composition and unique rhythem with the riff is what makes a song for me. Shredding gets old really fast. I think nowadays it's just a way for the guitarist to show off and fill out some time ina song with some psuedo-impressive fingerwork.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Quote by str84ever

YES TEY R.

I get pissed off when the whole song is a solo, and the guitarist leaves all members of the band in the dust. The other band members are there for a reason.
Quote by that_1_dude24
YES TEY R.

I get pissed off when the whole song is a solo, and the guitarist leaves all members of the band in the dust. The other band members are there for a reason.

Ya...backing music for the guitar solo.
Why does an song even NEED a solo? It depends on the song. Hardly any of my songs have solos but some do. I only add a solo if the song needs it or it comes naturally. There's no point having a solo just for the sake of it. Then it's just wanking.
Quote by Donaldguitar
Why does an song even NEED a solo? It depends on the song. Hardly any of my songs have solos but some do. I only add a solo if the song needs it or it comes naturally. There's no point having a solo just for the sake of it. Then it's just wanking.

It needs a solo, cause that's what makes songs great.
If there is no solo, there is no point in a song.
If there is no section in the song that's so mind numbingly fast that it makes my ears bleed, the song is just not worth listening to.
Quote by buckethead_jr
It needs a solo, cause that's what makes songs great.
If there is no solo, there is no point in a song.
If there is no section in the song that's so mind numbingly fast that it makes my ears bleed, the song is just not worth listening to.

Careful, you might be way over some peoples heads...
Quote by str84ever

I think they add a lot to a song. I think if done right, a solo can even tell a story.

While they're not needed, a good one can really improve your song.

That being said, I'm all for soloing, as long as it finds a good place in the song.
Solo's aren't needed in the same sense that verses and a chorus aren't needed.

It's just that many people think it fits in their song.

also shredding =/=wanking

in fact they are mutually exclusive.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by buckethead_jr

Obviously. If you have chops, show them off!

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
It depends on how tastefully it's done. In some songs, like Crossing the Rubicon or Vela by The Human Abstract, shredding can help the flow of the song and work when put behind the vocals.
Quote by saxaxe
It depends on how tastefully it's done. In some songs, like Crossing the Rubicon or Vela by The Human Abstract, shredding can help the flow of the song and work when put behind the vocals.

Good ole Mathcore.
Quote by One Thread

When those bands play it is constant guitar solos, even when the singer is midverse. And honestly it annoys me, they think it adds to the song, but it hurts the lyrics and the song as a whole.
Guitar + Vocals =/= Guitar Solo

it's simply a lead melody
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Page 1 of 3