Just wanted to know if the randall warhead is anygood. I've been looking at a few ss amps recently and i thought this was probably the best for metal, but if theres better i'd like to know. I want a ss amp because it's easier to get around than a tube amp and doesn't break as easily so don't be saying go tube.
Well, I've heard most Randall are good amps, and if im right in suspecting the Warhead is a high end amp, i'm sure you won't be disapointed.
Quote by CFH_Shredder
Yeah Dimebag used them so you probably have an idea of the tone you can get

actually i dont think he did,as far as i know he had them up on stage to look like his using them because of the endorsement deal but he actually had some kind of other Randall amp pluged in and miced...

Anyways when i played the warhead i thought it was ****..There are way better amps out there like the Xl randall
Quote by axe_thrasher
Just wanted to know if the randall warhead is anygood. I've been looking at a few ss amps recently and i thought this was probably the best for metal, but if theres better i'd like to know. I want a ss amp because it's easier to get around than a tube amp and doesn't break as easily so don't be saying go tube.

How is an SS amp easier to get around? It's exactly the same as a tube amp.

And no amp will break under normal use, unless you like to throw your guitar at them or store them outside in the rain...

Randall are great solid state amps but for the price of the Warhead you could get a lot better by getting like a Mesa or ENGL or something along those lines.

I've never played a Warhead but I like the old G2 series Randall heads. Pretty reliable and great for really tight distortion for hardcore or like technical math metal or something.

And Dimebag had a huge rack setup so you can't really count on his tone as a genuine portrayal of the Warhead's sound.

If I was you, I would go tube.
Quote by crzywhiteboy
actually i dont think he did,as far as i know he had them up on stage to look like his using them because of the endorsement deal but he actually had some kind of other Randall amp pluged in and miced...

Anyways when i played the warhead i thought it was ****..There are way better amps out there like the Xl randall

Well at the beginning he was using Randall G series later he start usineg The Warhead and then he used Krank Amps
I didnt say i wanted it because of dimebag he was the one who said it. Also ss amps are a lot lighter therefore a lot easier to get around, tube amps are so damn heavy.
Quote by axe_thrasher
Why is the warhead so bad anyways http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwzBi3j1UFQ Thats sounds decent to me.

because thats all it can really do is metal.If you dont do it yet you will eventually down the line get in to other music and you will learn to hate your amp.If you plan on just playing metal for the rest of your like then its an ok amp..But there is still better metal amps..
but are there better ss amps that cost around the same price. I mean the V2 looks awesome but the cheapest i've found it for is £800.
For high gain SS you won't really beat a Randall I guess. So if you're set on solid state just go try out as many as you can that are in your price range. The hybrid G3 series amps are even pretty good and prob lots cheaper than the warhead?

I wouldn't go spending a lot of money on one because
A: if it breaks SS amps are much harder to fix than tube.
B: If you end up changing your mind down the track a bit you will get barely anything back for it.

Maybe you could even get something like a Roland Jazz Chorus, which is pretty much known for being the cleanest of the clean SS amps. and try running a good quality distortion pedal or tube preamp pedal or some other type distortion effect through the clean channel?

Something like a Mesa V rocket (? Called something like that I think) or Hughes and Kettner make tube driven pre-amp pedals.

That would be a pretty expensive way to go about it though.

Seriously IMO, if you want good tone you should get a high gain tube amp. Getting a SS Randall just because it's lighter to move around seems like a bad trade-off. You can get someone to help you carry a 'heavy' tube amp.. Tone should be first IMO.

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded like a dick or a tube snob. Just trying to help you out with some advice, and my opinions.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Sep 12, 2007,
Fair enough dude. I was just thinking then, if i end up getting it and not likeing it i probably wont be able to get much for it, as you said, i may just going all tube again but go for a head this time as it'd be easier to get around. Probs a peavey 5150/6505 or aomething, can anybody reccomend anything any cheaper with a similar tone?
Last edited by axe_thrasher at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by axe_thrasher
Fair enough dude. I was just thinking then, if i end up getting it and not likeing it i probably wont be able to get much for it, as you said, i may just going all tube again but go for a head this time as it'd be easier to get around. Probs a peavey 5150/6505 or aomething, can anybody reccomend anything any cheaper with a similar tone?

Peavey JSXs are pretty awesome too.

Look into: Mesa F series, Dual Rectifiers and Mark IVs (Mark IV being the best choice of the 3, imo). Also, ENGL Powerballs and Fireballs are awesome metal amps too.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com