28 32%
Fender American Vintage Strat '57 or '62
52 59%
other ???
8 9%
Voters: 88.
Page 1 of 3
i've pretty much decided on a strat.
my genres are blues, classic rock, jazz, alternative, indie, britpop, blues rock, funk, reggae, modern rock, rock 'n' roll.
what strat would you take ?
on one side, the ameerican deluxe has the S1 switching, which seems really useful.
on the other side, the am vintage apparently sounds better...

you decide
Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 10, 2007,
am. vintage. what does the S1 switching do?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
It's just unconventional switching. If you really need it, get it installed aftermarket, but it really doesn't matter. The am. vintage sound better, IMO.
Quote by Danno13
It's just unconventional switching. If you really need it, get it installed aftermarket, but it really doesn't matter. The am. vintage sound better, IMO.

it isn't available in a kit of some sort, only on loaded pickguards, those cost a lot and i would have 3 pickups left over...
so that's not really an option...
Quote by Punk_Ninja
You can just use the stuff that makes it S-1 switching, you dont need a kit, just order some stuff off maplins!

i wouldn't have a clue what to get and how to do it, i prefer to have it already in the guitar
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Yeah I know it needs an electrician, and you put this poll up but you obviously want the deluxe so get the deluxe!

no it's 50/50.
i just can't choose, i really don't prefer the deluxe.
i don't think an electrician would know how to do it (as good as fender)...
it's basically versatility vs. better tone...
Get the vintage, the s-1 switching doesn't really add all that much versatility.
+2.

ive got s-1 switching on my MIA. ive got SCNs, not sure what pups ur looking at with the deluxe, but switching does not make a HUGE tonal difference.

depends on ur amp.

always get better pups over gadjets. you can always add a couple of toggle switches down the line.
it's not hard or expensive.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
+2.

ive got s-1 switching on my MIA. ive got SCNs, not sure what pups ur looking at with the deluxe, but switching does not make a HUGE tonal difference.

depends on ur amp.

always get better pups over gadjets. you can always add a couple of toggle switches down the line.
it's not hard or expensive.

yeah they're the scn pups.
i think you have the am deluxe.
have you ever played an am vintage ?

the s1 switching is probably hard and certainly expensive
The S-1 switching really wouldnt be hard or expensive, well maybe expensive but you can work on it and do it yourself for. . umm. . .way under £5/$10.

But it's your call, try them both out, see which you fall in love with.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
The S-1 switching really wouldnt be hard or expensive, well maybe expensive but you can work on it and do it yourself for. . umm. . .way under £5/$10.

But it's your call, try them both out, see which you fall in love with.

are you sure about that ? i have to get a volume knob with that switch...
i doubt if i would even find that anywere, and that'll prbably cost already 5 dollars or something.

i'm going to try em both out, just trying to get a bit of extra information and kinda a half decision out of this thread
And a volume knob which is a switch (I assume you mean push/pull pot) would cost you about. . .£1 at the absolute most then it's just wires and soldery bits to the pickups, they havent like invented soemthing groundbreaking for it it's just nice placement of switches and wires.
I agree it wouldnt be worth taking time out to do cos I wouldnt want to mess up a nice american strat but it wouldnt be too hard.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
And a volume knob which is a switch (I assume you mean push/pull pot) would cost you about. . .£1 at the absolute most then it's just wires and soldery bits to the pickups, they havent like invented soemthing groundbreaking for it it's just nice placement of switches and wires.
I agree it wouldnt be worth taking time out to do cos I wouldnt want to mess up a nice american strat but it wouldnt be too hard.

yeah i know it isn't new, but i don't think they sell a volume push pull pot separarty...
you don't happen to know a link to fender stuff and replacement thingys like the push pull pot, do you ?
cause if it's available then i would no longer doubt and get the vintage with the switching !
Oh no you don't need to buy off fender for that stuff!
Push/Pull pots are easy to buy! And they just double as a pot and a switch, I'm not like an electrician or anything but I know some stuff and I know that you wont need to go to humongous lengths to do it, and you could probably contact fender and get the proper stuff for it, I dunno.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Oh no you don't need to buy off fender for that stuff!
Push/Pull pots are easy to buy! And they just double as a pot and a switch, I'm not like an electrician or anything but I know some stuff and I know that you wont need to go to humongous lengths to do it, and you could probably contact fender and get the proper stuff for it, I dunno.

ok thanks i'll consider doing it myself if i get the vintage, and if i could actually do it myself and find the right stuff!
thanks for all your help !

keep the votes coming people
ive got a 62' players strat. i chose it over the others because i like the SCns.
ive already got a strat with hot pickups, so this was a perfect fit for me.

if u mean the vintage noiseless pups? yeah, i dont really like those as much as other vintage after market pups.

and adding a push pull pot or a toggle costs about $10.

what amp are u using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
ive got a 62' players strat. i chose it over the others because i like the SCns.
ive already got a strat with hot pickups, so this was a perfect fit for me.

if u mean the vintage noiseless pups? yeah, i dont really like those as much as other vintage after market pups.

and adding a push pull pot or a toggle costs about $10.

what amp are u using?

i cant seem to find those '62 strats on the fender site... anyway i'm not talking bout those.
you don't have the guitar i though you had

the pickups in the guitars i'm looking at:
vintage: american pups, not noiseless.
deluxe: SCN pups.
so i don't mean vintage noiseless pups, didn't know they even existed

i'm using a fender blues deluxe.
well using, it's just standing there actually, i don't have a guitar yet .
eh, at the kind of money those things are in europe, you could doubtless get someone to custom make you a strat with the vintage's specs, and with the deluxe's wiring. and it'd doubtless be a nicer guitar too. EDIT: assuming you can wait, and know exactly what you want...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is your first guitar setup?

Also, agreed on the S-1 switching being easy to do aftermarket.

Go play the damn things. You should never spend that much money on a guitar without playing them extensively first.
Quote by Dave_Mc
eh, at the kind of money those things are in europe, you could doubtless get someone to custom make you a strat with the vintage's specs, and with the deluxe's wiring. and it'd doubtless be a nicer guitar too. EDIT: assuming you can wait, and know exactly what you want...

i can definitely wait, and i know what i want, but getting a custom made strat would probably cost a ****load. and it's only my first guitar...

Quote by gibsonpenguin
This is your first guitar setup?

Also, agreed on the S-1 switching being easy to do aftermarket.

Go play the damn things. You should never spend that much money on a guitar without playing them extensively first.

yes it's my first guitar.

i played several strats extensively and loved the type of guitar.
i'm going to play them before buying of course, but this thread is to get a bit more info, and to kinda half-decide on which guitar.
i'm definitely going to try them of course.
The people who voted against the Deluxe obviously haven't played one.

I went to a GC and tested the guitars you've listed. I cannot pick a tonal difference EXCEPT when I use the S-1 switching system. I can't stop raving about how much the S-1 system makes your guitar so versatile. If I put the S-1 switch down and put the selector on the 1 or 2 position and roll the tone knob down to like 7 or 6 I can easily mock the sound of a Les Paul.

I love the SCNs. It's hilarious, while playing at a gig, to start playing and no one expects it since they're used to hearing a hum.

I definitely prefer the Deluxe over the Vintage, but of course there will be that think the "age" makes it so much better.

Whomever said there isn't a big tonal diference from the S-1 system is on crack. If you can get the Vintage with an aftermarket "s-1" system then that'd be sweet as well. The only guitar I need to buy now is a purely metal guitar because my Strat plays everything else.
Last edited by AluminumOxide at Sep 10, 2007,
Quote by AluminumOxide

I went to a GC and tested the guitars you've listed. I cannot pick a tonal difference EXCEPT when I use the S-1 switching system. I can't stop raving about how much the S-1 system makes your guitar so versatile. If I put the S-1 switch down and put the selector on the 1 or 2 position and roll the tone knob down to like 7 or 6 I can easily mock the sound of a Les Paul.

I love the SCNs. It's hilarious, while playing at a gig, to start playing and no one expects it since they're used to hearing a hum.

I definitely prefer the Deluxe over the Vintage, but of course there will be that think the "age" makes it so much better.

why do prefer it ? is it because you can't hear any tonal diff and the deluxe has a s1 switching ?
Quote by The red Strat.
why do prefer it ? is it because you can't here any tonal diff and the deluxe has a s1 switching ?

Aye, but if the Vintage had the S-1 system it could be a good option.

Granted "hot" pickups for some reason to really appear to me as "hot".

---

However, like everyone said... you SHOULD go to a GC and test it. Paying over $1k is a risk for a guitar you MIGHT not like. I don't remember if the Vintage strat was a V-neck or not, but if it is it's definitely a different feel than a C-neck. So that's another thing to consider.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Aye, but if the Vintage had the S-1 system it could be a good option.

Granted "hot" pickups for some reason to really appear to me as "hot".

---

However, like everyone said... you SHOULD go to a GC and test it. Paying over $1k is a risk for a guitar you MIGHT not like. I don't remember if the Vintage strat was a V-neck or not, but if it is it's definitely a different feel than a C-neck. So that's another thing to consider.

yep, i'm definitely going to do that. we don't have GC over here though, but plenty of other stores of course.
the vintage 57 has a v neck and the 62 has a c, so if i pick the vintage, the neck that feels best to me is the one i'll get.
ah, sorry, i didn't realise it was your first guitar. i'd probably advise against a custom then because of the wait (unless you've borrowed a guitar from someone else or something), and also because you mightn't know exactly what you want in terms of specs, neck profile, etc. Not to say luthiers can't give great advice, they can, but yeah. Get an off-the-shelf guitar first, and that way you can truly see which things will annoy you, and which things are only minor annoyances, etc., and then you can change those when/if you get a custom. I don't think it'd be as expensive as you think- at least a couple of guys here in the UK will make you a bolt-on guitar for around £700-£800 (what's that, about1300 euro?). How much is that american vintage strat? i'd wager it's the equivalent of more like £1200 (1800 euro).

Quote by AluminumOxide

Whomever said there isn't a big tonal diference from the S-1 system is on crack. If you can get the Vintage with an aftermarket "s-1" system then that'd be sweet as well. The only guitar I need to buy now is a purely metal guitar because my Strat plays everything else.

dude, no offence but jenny HAS A FUCKING DELUXE STRAT. I think it's safe to assume she's tried it. I have tried one too, a couple of times. the S1 switching was pretty "meh" if you ask me. Nice to have if you aren't losing anything else, but i wouldn't do without something else i want to have solely to get it. Plus as said already by countless others, it's a simple retrofit.

jeez, i don't see why a lot of people can't get over themselves, with their supercilious and condescending "oh if you don't like what i like you mustn't have tried it".

Newsflash: if you can't hear the difference between american noiseless pickups and true single coils, you must be tone deaf.

yeah, i went there.

(DAVE_MC_GET_OUT_CLAUSE: i think she has a deluxe strat... )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Newsflash: if you can't hear the difference between american noiseless pickups and true single coils, you must be tone deaf.

ROFL! "True Single Coils" That's hilarious, bro. They both are noiseless... One uses Alnico Vs and the other uses SCN. Kthx.

The S-1 System can replicate anything that came out of that vintage that's why there's no difference. I'm not trying to talk the S-1 system like it's the greatest thing in the world, in fact, it's not extremely uncommon. The versatility helps.

Quote by Dave_Mc

I think it's safe to assume she's tried it. I have tried one too, a couple of times. the S1 switching was pretty "meh" if you ask me.

So what? You can still own a guitar and not know how to ****ing use it. I.E. Cobain.
---

Anyways, a run down on the pick ups:

The vintage are Alnico Vs which are more gritty than Samarium Cobalt. The SCNs have a smoother sound to them since they transfer to steel. (I play blues mainly so that's a plus for me.)
it doesn't mention them as being noiseless on the fender website... EDIT: doesn't mention them as being noiseless there either:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-57-62-pickup/12224

"transfers to steel"

what does that mean? (not slagging, i'm curious)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 10, 2007,
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah, sorry, i didn't realise it was your first guitar. i'd probably advise against a custom then because of the wait (unless you've borrowed a guitar from someone else or something), and also because you mightn't know exactly what you want in terms of specs, neck profile, etc. Not to say luthiers can't give great advice, they can, but yeah. Get an off-the-shelf guitar first, and that way you can truly see which things will annoy you, and which things are only minor annoyances, etc., and then you can change those when/if you get a custom. I don't think it'd be as expensive as you think- at least a couple of guys here in the UK will make you a bolt-on guitar for around £700-£800 (what's that, about1300 euro?). How much is that american vintage strat? i'd wager it's the equivalent of more like £1200 (1800 euro).

dude, no offence but jenny HAS A FUCKING DELUXE STRAT. I think it's safe to assume she's tried it. I have tried one too, a couple of times. the S1 switching was pretty "meh" if you ask me. Nice to have if you aren't losing anything else, but i wouldn't do without something else i want to have solely to get it. Plus as said already by countless others, it's a simple retrofit.

jeez, i don't see why a lot of people can't get over themselves, with their supercilious and condescending "oh if you don't like what i like you mustn't have tried it".

yeah, i went there.

(DAVE_MC_GET_OUT_CLAUSE: i think she has a deluxe strat... )

yeah i'm gonna get an off-the-shelf-guitar first.
700 pound is approximatly 1000 euros.
i believe the vintage is about 1600 euros here.
yeah. just that's a lot of money for a first guitar, you know? though it'll probably hold its resale pretty well if you decide you don't like it, etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it doesn't mention them as being noiseless on the fender website... EDIT: doesn't mention them as being noiseless there either:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-57-62-pickup/12224

"transfers to steel"

what does that mean? (not slagging, i'm curious)

1) I searched the pick ups that they had on the '57 and said they were vintage noiseless pickups, maybe I searched the wrong thing.

2) The magnetism is 'disrupted' (for lack of a better word) by the Samarium Cobalt properties and is still collected by steel poles... the SmCo is what berids the hum.
1) i dunno. normally if they are noiseless it'll say. But i'm just finding a lack of info.

2) interesting, i didn't know that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TS you cant find it because it was a limited edition, 62' players deluxe strat. i had it all typed out the first time i tried to answer up there, then UG crashed and i shortened my post.

LAf yeah dave, it's a DEluxe. and for the other fella who doesnt think i know what s1 is or whatever he;s insinuating..

i beleive i said, "not a HUGE difference" and that it depends on ur amp.

i will stand by that statement and the fact that ive been playing for something like 12years now.

i also think i said that i chose the SCN because they suit my style and that the TS should go try one out. preferably, thru the same type of amp he;s using now.

dave cant help it, he's just hXc. <--- is that right?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah, hXc is about right, though an accepted local variant in the upstate new york area is also HxC, i believe.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha, sweet.

and TS any other questions, welcomed. i dont think anyone can pick the perfect guitar for you, but like i said, this was what i was looking for...

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

lots of bling, yo.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Listen, this post please.

Both probably have the 5 way switching. I have a 5 way switch.

It goes like this.

Bridge > Bridge and Middlie > Middle > Middle and neck > neck.

So, don't be confused by the S1 switch. it's the same as the vintage.

And don't think because it has the vintage name it's going to be sound older/better.

It just looks older, that's all. They probably sound the same.

I'd go with the vintage though, because it looks better over all.
Page 1 of 3