View poll results: What pedal tuner ?
Peterson Strobostomp 2.
3 27%
Boss TU-2.
7 64%
other.
1 9%
Voters: 11.
i'm going to use it live. it's a really big plus if it's true bypass.
i think the boss isn't true bypass though. if it actually isn't, could i easily mod it to a TB ?
the only reason i'm also considering the boss is because of it's price compared to the peterson.
i don't have any rack gear so i assume a rack tuner is kinda useless for me ?

oh, and please don't vote for the boss just because you heard good things about it, only vote when you had experience with both or know both

Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 10, 2007,
They're just tuners, they both do the same thing. I don't see why people have such a hard time choosing.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
well yeah an MG and JCM800 also do the same thing, they amplify the guitar.
but the JCM does it slighty better
see my point ?
No, because that's sound-wise. Tuners don't effect the sound, they just help you tune, they don't do it much differently to eachother.
You know what I mean, they both do EXACTLY the same job with no real differences.
Don't be afraid to care"

i used the boss for awhile and it was fine. kick on the pedal to mute and tune. i never had a problem with it. now i have a line 6 xtl so i use the tuner on that. i've never used the peterson. also the boss didnt alter my sound in any way.
Quote by R_H_C_P
No, because that's sound-wise. Tuners don't effect the sound, they just help you tune, they don't do it much differently to eachother.
You know what I mean, they both do EXACTLY the same job with no real differences.

you have a point there, but if it was as simple as you say, then noone would buy the boss and they would all buy a cheap 40 dollar ibanez tuner. yet the boss is the most sold tuner pedal.
so i guess it does matter what you buy.
I vote that you get the Planet Waves one. It IS true bypass and has a lot less tone suck than the, IMO, ****ty BOSS one. The screen is way bigger and brighter and easier to see aswell. Built like a tank and will never break.

I tried them side by side and much preffered the PW but then again I'm not really a fan of ANY boss pedals I've ever used so far.

In conclusion: Planet Waves > BOSS.

Never tried that Peterson one. I dunno if we have them here in Aus.
You'd think the tuner wouldn't effect your sound- but you'd be wrong.
The peterson is 30 times more accurate than the boss tuner. The difference in tuning means that chords sound more 'correct,' you can intonate your instrument better, and you get more sympathetic vibrations. There are some clips on the peterson site that let you hear the difference. I've also tried the two side by side with similar results- it's not a tone difference, it's a sound difference. More in tune is better.
Fair enough.
Don't be afraid to care"

Yeah, I used to think it didn't matter either- I've actually owned 5 different tuners now (TU-2, Seiko, Fender, the boss handheld one with a real needle, and the SS) and it's night and day- plus the strobostomp tracks like a mother so you can turn the true bypass off and watch it go nuts while you play.
Well for a cheap yet good option I'd personally go for the Ibanez LU20.

It's true bypass, which is the only criteria I myself look for in a tuner
Quote by Roc8995
Yeah, I used to think it didn't matter either- I've actually owned 5 different tuners now (TU-2, Seiko, Fender, the boss handheld one with a real needle, and the SS) and it's night and day- plus the strobostomp tracks like a mother so you can turn the true bypass off and watch it go nuts while you play.

so you own the strobostomp 2 now and prefer it over all those other tuners ?

Quote by R_H_C_P
Fair enough.

Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 10, 2007,
Quote by The red Strat.
so you own the strobostomp 2 now and prefer it over all those other tuners ?

By far. Make sure you get the 2nd (blue) version though, the original had a couple issues with the jacks and screen.
Quote by Roc8995
By far. Make sure you get the 2nd (blue) version though, the original had a couple issues with the jacks and screen.

ok. i guess my decision's made now.
so you think the peterson is way more accurate and less (or none ?) tone sucking as opposed to the boss ?
Look at the specs- the Strobostomp is 30 times more accurate than the Boss. You can hear that difference. The Boss tuner didn't suck tone a whole lot on its own, but with more than one buffer in the signal the tone degraded significantly. The strobostomp is true bypass (unless you turn it off to use as a DI) and doesn't suck tone at all, ever.