I'd call it a snyopsis. But that's just me. Probably.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A synopsis is usually a tad more in depth than that, I thought.

Depends on the book, I guess.
Quote by cagnius

You mean some books are so crap you can fit a synopsis on the jacket?
"Blurb", among writers, usually refers to the little mini-reviews by other authors on the back. The plot summary is called a synopsis.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by cagnius

Guess so. I'm still not quite over the shock that a question about BOOKS is found in the Pit, of all places.

Quote by MightyAl

A lot of books have a synopsis on the first page, others on the jacket but INSIDE the book... a blurb/synopsis don't need to be on the back cover.
i thought it wouldn't have helped to ask the pit about books
Quote by ShaunDiel
Listen to this man. His 2 ideas in five minutes have shat all over your serious ideas.
In my English classes it was always called a blurb. Might be different in the USA, dunno.
Synopses are, by definition, more in depth than a summary. Look it up.

The summary on a book jacket, most often, is just that- a summary. A good summary can be as long as a couple paragraphs, or as short as four or five sentences. A synopsis goes more in depth to reveal character types and development, plot details, as opposed to outlines, and conflict details as opposed to outlines. Whether a bookjacket has a summary or a synopsis depends on the information on the book jacket. You be the judge.
Quote by MightyAl

No, I mean that some books are crap and resort to having:

"a fantastic book...utterly un-put-downable. A real must for any aspiring fucktard." Some horrid tabloid, day/month/year.

Whilst other books actually have a decent synopsis on the back to outline the plot to potential readers.

Quote by young_is_god
its a blurb u gays

Use punctuation and stop using that word as an insult, and I might believe you.