Hullo UG!

So, here I am trying to play a song, all of a sudden I realise it sounds **** not only because I'm new at guitar but also because I need to strum Up and Down... So I'm there like "Okay, that won't be hard"... Except it is.

I'm trying to strum Up and Down pretty fast (Playing: I'm Not Okay (I Promise) ) and I always come into contact with other strings as the strings I need are pretty much in the middle.

How do I get around hitting other strings? It's so annoying!
are you doing the octaves, or the chords?
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
Watch yourself playing, take it slow, practice, speed up, and take it to musician talk.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
lol.
just try practicing it more
watch your hands, and try to mute the stings you're not playing.
when I do powerchords, I mute the extra strings w/ my index finger
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
I would think most people would come across this problem at the beginning.

Like Hdap101 says, slow down and practice then speed up as you get better.

You'll get to realise that instead of a straight up and down strum, you will need to 'arc' your strum ever so slightly. Nothing serious, just enough to enter say beneath the 6th string and exit above the 2nd string, strumming the 5th, 4th &3rd but missing the rest.

Its not as hard as it sounds it will be natural soon enough, try using your thumb to mute the 6th string so the chord will sound even if you hit the 6th. I found it help me to be able to play normally while learning to miss the string.

Good luck
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Thanks for the help! Especially to the people who actually HAVE helped. You know who you are... Cheers!