Ok, so in the nearish future I may be buying a new bass, due to money coming in.

I want a bass that is perfect for that slap and pop tone, but also has a nice warm smooth sound for fingerpicking.
I play mostly rock and funk.
my budget is around £500 ish.

any suggestions?

cheers!
not sure how much that translates to dollars but umm...
an american jazz bass always works
stingrays are very good to
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
£500 = roughly $1000
Sorry, thats all my contribution to this thread. I'm not too sure about a good slap bass...whats Flea using at the moment?
Quote by tasty licks
you really should consider suicide.
flea uses a vintage 62 jazz bass...its 1,400 dollars. an american jazz is around 1000 though.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
not sure how much that translates to dollars but umm...
an american jazz bass always works
stingrays are very good to

you will not get eigther an american jazz bass or a stingray for 500 doller... you will need around 1000 dollar....

check out this one fender deluxe p bass
Quote by MPQW11
you will not get eigther an american jazz bass or a stingray for 500 doller... you will need around 1000 dollar....

check out this one fender deluxe p bass

he didnt say dollars
what he said is roughly 1000 dollars when converted
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Benjy UK
£500 = roughly $1000
Sorry, thats all my contribution to this thread. I'm not too sure about a good slap bass...whats Flea using at the moment?

i don't need to tell you how ridiculous that comment is do i?

theres more than fleas slap tone you know and his isn't all that good anyway. the given basses for slap are jazz basses and musicman stingrays both of which give a different tone. to be perfectly honest most basses will sound alright for slap. my personal opinion is the jazz bass is the slappers bass although half the forum will disagree with me
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
i don't need to tell you how ridiculous that comment is do i?

theres more than fleas slap tone you know and his isn't all that good anyway. the given basses for slap are jazz basses and musicman stingrays both of which give a different tone. to be perfectly honest most basses will sound alright for slap. my personal opinion is the jazz bass is the slappers bass although half the forum will disagree with me

i agree with you

except the part about flea not being that good...DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU!!!!
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Sep 10, 2007,
the bass im looking for is an alternative to my MIM jazz bass, although at £500 ill be able to get something hopefully superior quality wise.

What is the overall view of the stingray basses? the few ive heard have AMAZING tone for finger style and slap (although i am not sure because obviously the amp is a massively important factor)
stingrays are very good. but they have a completely different feel than jazz basses.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by spitfirehicks
Ok, so in the nearish future I may be buying a new bass, due to money coming in.

I want a bass that is perfect for that slap and pop tone, but also has a nice warm smooth sound for fingerpicking.
I play mostly rock and funk.
my budget is around £500 ish.

any suggestions?

cheers!

A MusicMan bass sounds right up your alley. Look for a deal on one - I'm not sure how prices go across the pond.

You might also want to look into Ibanez's SR line. The SR900 is a beautiful neck-through bass that has a Bartolini 3-band Active EQ and Bartolini pickups, not to mention the fast Ibanez neck, for about $800 CDN. Lots of tonal possibilities.
Quote by funkbass369
flea uses a vintage 62 jazz bass...its 1,400 dollars. an american jazz is around 1000 though.

I doubt that a vintage 62 jazz bass is 1,400 dollars and especially a custom color one.
Check out the Marcus Miller signature jazz bass and the Lakland Skyline series Darryl Jones signature model. Exceptional basses for a good price.
The jazz student
Quote by watchingmefall
I doubt that a vintage 62 jazz bass is 1,400 dollars and especially a custom color one.

i meant a vintage reissue. and it isn't a custom color. you can buy them in white...his is just faded beacuse its has a nitro finish.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
i meant a vintage reissue. and it isn't a custom color. you can buy them in white...his is just faded beacuse its has a nitro finish.

It's the only 62 Vintage Jazz bass in that shade of pink, in the world.
Quote by watchingmefall
It's the only 62 Vintage Jazz bass in that shade of pink, in the world.

his jazz bass...the cream colored one...with the red sticker on it. thats the main one he uses now its a 62 vintage jazz reissue in white but it faded to that cream color.

heres a link to it
62 jazz (look at the olympic white finish...thats the one he uses)
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Sep 12, 2007,
its weird but kinda funny i play slap on a bc rich warlock and it sounds prtty cool
Quote by funkbass369
his jazz bass...the cream colored one...with the red sticker on it. thats the main one he uses now its a 62 vintage jazz reissue in white but it faded to that cream color.

heres a link to it
62 jazz (look at the olympic white finish...thats the one he uses)

It's pink. Well, it was.

Shell Pink" '61 Fender Jazz Bass: This is one of Flea’s vintage Basses. It has a “Shell Pink” body with a Tortoise-Shell pickgaurd, a rosewood neck with a maple headstock. The body sports a sticker of D. Boon, former lead singer of the Minutemen, on the upper arm contour. The entire bass is stock and was given to Flea as a gift. Flea used this bass to record Stadium Arcadium and even toured with it for a short while. The bass is extremely valuable because it is one of very few original "Shell Pink" jazz bases ever produced by Fender.
Quote by watchingmefall
It's pink. Well, it was.

Shell Pink" '61 Fender Jazz Bass: This is one of Flea’s vintage Basses. It has a “Shell Pink” body with a Tortoise-Shell pickgaurd, a rosewood neck with a maple headstock. The body sports a sticker of D. Boon, former lead singer of the Minutemen, on the upper arm contour. The entire bass is stock and was given to Flea as a gift. Flea used this bass to record Stadium Arcadium and even toured with it for a short while. The bass is extremely valuable because it is one of very few original "Shell Pink" jazz bases ever produced by Fender.

i have a photo of it in bass player magazine. its definatley not shell pink. its a cream color. lol. maybe shell pink fades to cream? i dont know

EDIT: ok just found this.....go to the 13th post it says that it was a shell pink that faded to cream so we're both right.
shell pink to cream
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele