um i really love listenin to some heavy metal like killswitch, although i mostly listen to the 80s hair metal and hard rock. but i LOVE playing some chuggin riffs w/ crazy pinch harmonics!!

so anyone who wouldn't mind givin me some suggestions on my playin....

what would be a good guage of strings to use that would allow me to play the heavy stuff but still get fast playing, good bends, and all that tappin?

are there any links for some metal style?

any tips on comin up w/ catchy metal style riffs? i can come up w/ one if i try for like 5 minutes straight, but they shouldn't be soo tuff to think of....

what are some popular sclaes of metal riffing? any links to where i could see it mapped out?

well i use an epi G-400 loaded w/ a SD JB on the bridge, and JH at the neck ( yea i know its not ur typical metal setup but it CAN handle heavy distortion) and play thru my VOX (which has very crunchy distortion). so i guess just help me out guys!!!!

SHARPIE
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
you like metal and you have a kid rock avatar?

anyway there is a lot of palmuting i think its kind of hard to explain
RAINBOW

I'm so punk that I hate punk
well i got the idea of mixing the palm muting w/ non muted notes but its not like comin up w/ a blues riff obviously, where i can play some licks outta the blues box scale. i wonderin what scale would be good to use. oh .... im not gettin started on the kid rock thing. i like the guy cuz of the mix of blues an funk, i dont care if i get flamed for it. ima redneck lmao and his lyrics appeal to me....but yea even on albums like cocky, a song or two from devil without a cause, he's got a couple songs w/ some great heavy riffs in drop D. but yea im not talkin kid rock im talkin more hardcore metalish style.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Hey, contact me on my email. We could hav a conversation about that, I love the same style
Or do you have a MSN messenger. Feel free to PM me.
its not like comin up w/ a blues riff obviously, where i can play some licks outta the blues box scale.

i believe a lot of dimebag's riffs come from the blues scale, as well as other shredders...
im talkin hardcore metal. not pantera (and of course i love dimebags style) but you know its not the same
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
im talkin hardcore metal. not pantera (and of course i love dimebags style) but you know its not the same

What sort of bands are you trying to sound like, if any? We need more information than just "metal" because that covers so much.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
and how long have you been playing
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
if you want to develop your metal playing style, go out and listen to AS much stuff as you possibly can. not just metal.

although some metal bands i'd suggest for a devloping guitarist to check out are:

Necrophagist
NEvermore
Gojira
Morbid Angel
Hate Eternal
vital remains
dream theater
emperor

just a start i guess. but yea, don't stop at metal, get out and listen to as much stuff as ya can.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
alrite im going on 4 years even i think. but NOT TO SOUND CONCEITED i've noticed that MY playing ability is higher than most my friends who've been playing guitar for equal or longer...only b/c i dedicated wayyy more time to learning, listening, studying my idols, and practicing of course...

ummm i mean bands like lamb of god, killswitch engage mainly. and YES, i ALREADY listen to a wide range of music, anything thats 50s rock n roll, old jazz tunes, modern rock n roll, 80s metal (my fave), modern metal, and some hardcore metal. not to mention i love classical guitar, classical piano, and of course hip hop.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
gee golly go **** yourself. im asking for tips on developing MY OWN ****ING theory and understanding, im not trying to be that band ok. i didn't know i was asking such a ****ing gee golly obvious question.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
well if i may quote you i belieive you said you wanted to play like them
and if its "YOUR OWN ****ING theory" why don't you figure it out yourself?
Most harder metal solos use modes such as phyrgian, and phrygian dominant (sometimes), harmonic minor, but also mixed with pentatonic riffs ("*clap* *clap*" ----> some one tell me, where is that from...)

Look them up here:

http://microtools.de/guitarcodex/
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
ok ur rite, who the hell asks for help on theory these days anyways? i mean everyone gets this **** by sitting in their room not asking ANYONE for help....thats the ****in reason we have 1 million vids a day on youtube w/ kids completely RUINING songs and scales...b/c they dont ask anyone for help. of course there's always gonna be occasional guitarists who were able to do it w/o anyone's help....but for the rest of us, i think we'd like to use this site for wut it was intended for....genral help. that is all
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i'm not criticizing the fact that your asking for help but because you said help me with my own music, so if someone helps you "invent" this new guitar style, would it in fact be your own?
only asking for help in an area that i dont experiment w/ as much as i do w/ my hard rock/blues style. i'd rather take a step in the right direction for sure, than chance takin a step backwards or going into a bad habit. quick tempered sorry.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
well i'd be completely ashamed of myself if someone else made my solos for me. its really inspiring for me to come up w/ a good solo or rhythm, an say "hey thats all me!" and know that it sounds good......

its not hard to play somethin that someone has tabbed out for ya already, there's not nearly as much feeling to it. thats wut im all about, the feeling!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH