I've bought the Joe Satriani Surfing with the Alien tab book...

I already know the songs, Midnight, Hill of the Skull, Tears in the Rain, and Always with me Always with you...

Three of those belong to the album but I want to learn the entire album.

The song "Surfing with the Alien" is super hard. There's A. Harmonics here and there, lots of bends, Legato, and whammy tricks.

It's hard to memorize and get the speed down.

Any suggestions?
Work with it in small parts and work up to it slowly?
Can't really give you advice besides that.

But as far as memorizing goes, play the song and read the tab along with the song. You'll figure out what you need and patterns quickly enough~
It starts of reasonable, and gets really hard after a minute or 2. good luck with that bit

Other than playing it slow, and building up, I have no idea tbh.

Its an awesome song though.
oh snap dude, i have the same book. i found if you try and nail the rhythm parts first, the lead seems to make more sense and is easier to learn

but then thats just me.

and i agree with the dude above me, learn it in bits. (in the flesh)
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
plug the tune into audacity, select the whole tune and adjust the tempo with the "adjust tempo" filter down 50%. it'll play at half speed. nail it there. bring it up in speed over time, and you'll get it.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by DougC84
plug the tune into audacity, select the whole tune and adjust the tempo with the "adjust tempo" filter down 50%. it'll play at half speed. nail it there. bring it up in speed over time, and you'll get it.

you can do that with media player dude.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Yeah, try the rhythm first. Also, watch a video of him playing the song on Youtube. Just because it has a rake up to a pitch harmonic in the tab desn't mean you have to play it, Satriani himself couldn't play the song the exact same way twice. So for now you shouldn't worry about getting an exact C# Artifical harmonic on the 5th fret of the A string after doing a rake downwards in some weird triplet just because it says it in the book, that's impossible. Deal with the meat and poatoes first. Get your 3-note-per-string legato down pat (Satriani uses it soooo much like in the beggining of the solo after the tapping sequence, and you'll need it for LOK, Crushing Day, Echo, etc...), all those pentatonic licks in the outro solo, get all the notes and bends and etc. Then afterwards deal with all the flourishes with the whammy bar and interspersed pitch harmonics afterwards, because those are for when you're comfortable with the song.
I got the pick tapping down pretty fast actually

and the legato I have down, but I can't do it as fast of course.

I'm going to put this song off, and try to do echo right now so it'll be easier and my hands can get better/faster.

What I hate is, I can play the parts and it will sound like the song, but some parts, it sounds like I'm playing an entire different song.

I try to memorize it, but I have to read it again and then I start getting a stiff neck and motion sickness. I wish I had a music stand. Plus my eye sight is horrible.
Ouch. I could see what you mean.

Maybe something like Powertab would help? They got most of his songs, and IIRC, the Surfing one is straight from the book.
Quote by danielrobbyshor
you can do that with media player dude.

windows media player = evil.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by wasp2020
Ouch. I could see what you mean.

Maybe something like Powertab would help? They got most of his songs, and IIRC, the Surfing one is straight from the book.

Yeah I have that.

Quote by DougC84
windows media player = evil.
windows media player yes you can slow it down but it sounds like **** when you do
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."