Poll: Is this the right choice?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is this the right choice?
Yes
29 78%
no (suggest another guitar)
8 22%
Voters: 37.
I plan on getting this guitar, and adding these pick ups.

Incase this isn't a good idea, I need:

OFR
Wood with balanced warmth and brightness
Maple neck

but, what I LOVE about this one is that, it has 24 frets, ebony fretboard, mother of pearl shark inlays (real mother of pearl) , It's made in the USA and the snake paint. That's great! It's like it's meant for me.

Anyway

Ke2 Jackson

BODY Alder with Flame Maple Top on Transparent Colors
NECK Neck-Thru-Body Quartersawn Maple

TUNING MACHINES Die-Cast Tuners

FINGERBOARD Ebony

NO. OF FRETS 24 Jumbo Frets

BRIDGE PICKUP Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Humbucker

MIDDLE PICKUP N/A

NECK PICKUP Seymour Duncan® Jazz™ SH2N Humbucker

CONTROLS Master Volume,

Master Tone

BRIDGE Floyd Rose® Original™ Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo

PICKUP SWITCHING 3-Position Toggle:

Position 1. Bridge Pickup

Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups

Position 3. Neck Pickup

HARDWARE Black (Chrome on Transparent Colors)

STRINGS NPS, XL, (.009 to .042)

CASE Includes Deluxe Molded Case

PICKGUARD None

SCALE LENGTH 25.5”

WIDTH AT NUT 1-11/16”

UNIQUE FEATURES Compound (12” to 16&rdquo Fingerboard Radius,

Mother of Pearl Shark Fin Position Inlays,

Bound Fingerboard and Headstock,

Matching Painted Headstock on Transparent Finishes,

Off-set “Kelly” Body Shape,

Inlaid Mother of Pearl Jackson Logo,

CTS® Pots and Switchcraft® Switches

The PAF Joe™ is the new neck pickup that DiMarzio® developed for Joe Satriani. Joe wanted a neck position humbucker that combines the best qualities of the DiMarzio® PAF Pro® with those of a late '50s Gibson humbucker. Joe described this tone as being "tubular". Through the use of Virtual Vintage® technology, clear-sounding low frequencies are blended with warm-sounding mids and high frequencies, which makes the PAF Joe™ equally good for chords and single notes. It was first used by Joe throughout the 2003 G3 tour.

Recommended For: All positions, solid, semi-solid and hollow-body electric guitars.

Tech Talk: What does "tubular" mean? In this case, it means making low notes "speak" more clearly while giving high notes a rounder voicing. This accomplishes two goals: chords have better definition, and single notes at higher fret positions remain warm-sounding rather than getting thinner. The PAF Joe™ has slightly less power than the PAF Pro®. It balances well with bridge pickups like the PAF Pro®, Fred®, Breed™ neck model, Air Norton™ and Norton®.

DP153F Fred pickup

Output: 305 millivolts
DC Resistance: 10.07K

Satriani Leather Strap

I'll have to wait 7 months to get it though....
Last edited by nan0 at Sep 10, 2007,
I have a Vox AC15XX1 I think it's call, I just got it a few weeks ago... It's a Class A tube Amp...
Quote by Maggot66
I would just leave the stock pickups in.. No real reason to change them right away.. If anything invest in a better amp.

woah. you have a roland cube, and you suggest that a guy gets a new amp, without even knowing what he's got at the moment. wow..
Quote by cheames
woah. you have a roland cube, and you suggest that a guy gets a new amp, without even knowing what he's got at the moment. wow..

just because he has a Cube doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I would be better to get an amp if you ask me, its more important to your tone, and the stock pickups in this are real Duncans, which are pro level pickups.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
eh, I might keep them for a little while.

I'll stick'em in my epi explorer (I need something with an OFR) I just got an amp. Like I said, I have an all tube, Class A VOX amp I just paid 600$ for.

anyway....
Quote by Doodleface
just because he has a Cube doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I would be better to get an amp if you ask me, its more important to your tone, and the stock pickups in this are real Duncans, which are pro level pickups.

dude. vox aint no entry level ****. however i do agree that there is no need to change the pickups in that.
Right now, I want to get Satriani's sound, my style is very similar to his, I like being versatile (sp?)

The Vox amp is really good, it's loud for a 15 watt amp.

I can get blues from it, it has that nice tube sound.

I can match some of Satch's stuff just by using this amp.

I'm not into metal, so distortion is a major deal for me, don't judge me by my guitars, I LOVE metal guitars but can't stand the genre.
Last edited by nan0 at Sep 10, 2007,
yeah maybe stay with the stock for a little bit. at least make sure you want to change by testing it. Another thing, you said you wanted a maple neck? The KE2 Kelly doesn't have one.

btw I envy you(sweet guitar)
You'll have to maybe use an overdrive to get some of satches more distorted stuff (thinking mystical potato head groove thing and stuff liek that) but otherwise, sounds good, people dont realise how high gain 'low gain' amps can get with an overdrive and stuff, you seem to be well on your way to a good sound
since you're so set on that guitar, get it and have fun! i think that you should play that guitar through your amp for a while before you decide whether or not to change the pickups. who knows? maybe it'll sound as good, or better, than you thought it would. adversely, it might sound horrible to you.
Don't worry, I have to work at mcdonalds to get this baby.

I thought the kelly had a quarter sawn neck through body?

Does that mean only a quarter of it is Maple?

I guess it isn't too bad, but I am open to suggestions.

How's the JS1200 compared to this?
Quote by nan0

no i have no idea what the neck is made of. it could be made of maple and painted but i don't know. why don't you email jackson guitars and ask
Yeah it's painted. the neck, is neck heavy so it must be maple.

I read that it's eastern hard rock maple, one of the heaviest woods...

Who voted no, and why? (that's the whole reason of this thread)
Its a maple neck thats quatersawn, neck-thru.

Someone probably just confused "maple neck" for "maple fretboard"
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
If you got the money I say go for it.

The USA Jacksons are a bit pricey but they've got good hardware and good quality to justify it.

Leave the pickups for a while 'cos they're good quality, then if you still hate them you could prob sell them and get back most of your money for the Dimarzios.

I have a thing for snakeskin guitars.. So hot.
well, I always LOVED snakes since I was little, they're my favorite animals (although they're retiles) it still counts I guess.

The Explorer shape is my fav for a guitar, I want MOP inlays, and OFR. The only thing, is that I rather dot, or Double Shark tooth (like Ibanez) but single Shark tooth is ok too.

I'll keep the pick ups in for a while, otherwise I'll have to soder it etc.
Hey um, anybody ever play this guitar? I've read reviews before but I never got to talk directly with anybody. All good reviews which is good.
Quote by nan0

quartersawn is the way they cut the wood across the grain. The grain runs perpendicular to the fretboard, so the cut of wood is stronger and more stable.

Personally, I really love the USA Jacksons, very high quality guitars. I have an SL2H soloist, and TBH, I've sold most of my other superstrats after owning it for a while.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
eh huh... So that's what it meant. Thanks for clearing that up.

It seems like this guitar is getting better day by day.

Does your guitar stay in tune after whammy rape?
It has an OFR, so if you properly set it up, it should be able to take any abuse you throw at it without losing tune. I know I've been doing that to my Jackson's LFR and it still holds perfectly, so I can only imagine what an OFR can handle.
Quote by nan0
eh huh... So that's what it meant. Thanks for clearing that up.

It seems like this guitar is getting better day by day.

Does your guitar stay in tune after whammy rape?

yes, very well actually. I've found just about every OFR, if setup correctly, will handle a good wanking on the tremolo bar. You won't have any problems with an OFR as far as quality, it's the knife edges on cheap trems that give out, whereas the OFR is hardened steel.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
How much is the difference for 25 1/2 scale, and 24 3/4 scale?

I know the main difference is that the neck is a little longer... but will it change the sound at all? making the string be at a different length?
Wow you got the money for that guitar It's my favourite guitar as well, thought of going with the cheaper KE3 but then I might just take another better guitar if I'm on a budget... (they're kind of pricey for what the are)
Anyway yeah you SHOULD love that guitar :p !!!
I won't be having it for a long time, and if I get this, it means I won't have a car for a while lol.

Oh well, I don't have anywhere to go, but to play music.

When I drop some food, they see me eat it off the floo.

I don't have the guitar yet lol, not until the middile of next year.

I was thinking about the KE3, but I said to myself "wait, I should really spend money on a guitar that's going to last for years. I really need a good guitar that's reliable" so even though it's a lot of money, I think it could be worth it.
i haven't played that particular kelly but my friend has a ke3 which is uber nice so you can't go wrong i guess
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Uber nice? The KE3? And what about the bad bolt on and licensed floyd...?
The KE2 though is flawless ^^