Recently, my Crybaby Classic has been making a crunching/crackling sound when in use. It kept getting worse until the crackles made it unusable with a clean amp. I came to UG and read some forums and discovered that the potentiometer had probably gone bad. Is the replacement of the pot something I will be able to do by myself? I have very little experience with such things, but I would like to learn. How do I replace the pot? And my final question...

Will a new pot last longer than the piece of **** pot that the pedal came with? (I've only had my pedal for about 6 months)
About how much is a really good replacement pot? I've seen HotPotz for $20, but I would like to get something better this time...
Only the wiring on my Strat, which was pretty basic. I've never done anything too precise though
Alright, last night I opened up the pedal to see what I was up against. It was virtually entirely PCB, but the pot was soldered into place and was very easy to remove. I purchased a new pot, and I'm sure putting it in will be just as easy as getting it out. However, when I removed the old pot, I found it to be covered with a thick toothpaste-like lubricant. Is something I will need to apply to the new pot?
Quote by zeppelin470
Alright, last night I opened up the pedal to see what I was up against. It was virtually entirely PCB, but the pot was soldered into place and was very easy to remove. I purchased a new pot, and I'm sure putting it in will be just as easy as getting it out. However, when I removed the old pot, I found it to be covered with a thick toothpaste-like lubricant. Is something I will need to apply to the new pot?

What kind of pot did you get? I suggested the Fulltone and the Blacktop because their taper is actually superior to a HotPotz. They just sound better.

The lubricant isn't necessary, not really, but I applied a graphite lubicrant in it place, when I accidentally removed it, when I modded my wah.
Alrighty, I got it all soldered up and working! I am happy that I just got the thing to work...

Anyways, the wah sounds a lot less like the crybaby I remember... I don't know if I like it yet. The crybaby before this mod was very wide, it had quite a bite to it and sounded awesome with clean, or overdrive. However, now it is much lower sounding and sounds muddy with OD. Did I mess something up, or is that just how it's supposed to sound?
Uh-oh, my "new" wah is giving me trouble. I used it at a show yesterday and it went insane. Sometimes it worked fine, and sounded amazing when it did. Other times, it would seem to be stuck in the bass position, giving me terrible muddy tone even when I would be rocking the pedal back and forth. Even worse, sometimes it would just go insane and give pure feedback, the pitch of whick varied as I rocked the pedal back and forth. This feedback happened when I was on either channel-- clean OR overdrive.

What did I do wrong? Is this me or is this the potentiometer
I tightened up the pot because it was really loose and now it doesn't do it anymore. Those fulltone pots have little to no room for a wrench to fit in there, so you have to tighten it with a needlenose pliers. It was tough to get it really tight, but hopefully it'll stay there for awhile.

I think I may have finally fixed this wah...