Alright, my friend asked his mom for a bass as a grad present. She bought him a Walmart bass, which I hear arent't too good. For sure he wants to paint it Fiesta Red, and do a bunch of **** to it. Will new electronics and a new neck solve the problem?
If your repainting it, putting new electronics in and replacing the neck, why not just buy a new bass. You'd probably need to replace the hardware as well, so it would be a load of money spent on a sub-standard bass. If your friend is smart he'll keep the FirstAct stock, play it occassionally and thank his mom for buying it and then invest some money in a new bass, eventually replacing some of the hardware and electronics.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
honestly....don't touch it for a few years, until he has another, one, then he can frankenstein it if he has money to blow, but it's not worth it on a peice of crap i don't think
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
You can get a decent used bass for $100. If he's gonna spend that money on a neck, etc... then put it into another bass.

He will just have to figure out a nice way to explain it to his mother... and then sell his on Ebay to recoup some of the loss.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Craigslist.com.

That's where I bought my first guitar, and my friend bought her bass, which is a wicked nice Ibanez she got for like 95 bucks.
dude, buy a bass at a pawn shop there a dime a dozen, well around 50-100 bucks actually. just some new strings, and you got a pretty good bass. Also youd put more into than you would get out of it, if you upgrade the Walmart one. I didn't think walmart even made music stuff.

LOL
unless hes a punk.... but since hes not.... nahhhhhhh.

he should play it, get better, make his mom proud to have bought him his first bass, then buy a new one.
I've been pointing him towards a Epiphone Thunderbird bass, is that a good thing, or a bad thing? I saw one at Guitar Center for $250...
i dont like them... i like the shape, but they sound horrible.

id recommend something used, or off rondomusic.com. seriously, those are the best basses for the money. i had an sx jazz bass that i put dimarzios and a series/parallel switch in that absolutely ROCKED. all the area bands (the ones my age and thereabout anyway) loved it and always wanted to play their gigs with it. the construction of it was just as good as the brice 6 string i bought from them for about $200 more. the tuners were good and the neck was straight. the only other thing i did was sand that horrid finish off the neck so my hand could slide across it easier.

yea, id say get a sx jazz bass, you can get em right now for $120 with a few different options.
Quote by blind nate
i dont like them... i like the shape, but they sound horrible.

id recommend something used, or off rondomusic.com. seriously, those are the best basses for the money. i had an sx jazz bass that i put dimarzios and a series/parallel switch in that absolutely ROCKED. all the area bands (the ones my age and thereabout anyway) loved it and always wanted to play their gigs with it. the construction of it was just as good as the brice 6 string i bought from them for about $200 more. the tuners were good and the neck was straight. the only other thing i did was sand that horrid finish off the neck so my hand could slide across it easier.

yea, id say get a sx jazz bass, you can get em right now for $120 with a few different options.

The SX basses are that good? I've played a SX Strap copy and you only had to look at it for it to go out of tune.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
yea, i thought my bass was great. i even sold it for $10 more than what i put into it.

i did buy a tele copy that had pretty bad tuners (probably the exact same ones). they might not have been tight enough on that guitar, i dont know. mine werent so bad after you got it broken in a little and i got them real tight with the screw on the side, but i still replaced them.
What if the electronics were changed to Gibson parts?
Just to reinforce the general feeling here: don't bother with the first act. Your buddy can mod the hell out of it after he gets a decent bass and feels he has money to blow, because no matter what you do it's not going to have the fit and feel of a decent bass.

Also, stay away from the thunderbird or any epi bass. I know they look cool and we all want to be seen playing one, but they are not good basses, the Gibson thunderbirds are not good basses... almost all gibson (and more so with lowend versions of gibson like epiphone) basses are uncomfortable (even if you like the sound... I don't) and not a good idea for the starting bass player. The same goes for gibson parts, I'm not slamming on Gibson or anything, they are a great guitar company ( I want a real 335 so badly), but that's what they are, not a bass company, they just happen to make basses and have had a few accidental successes along the way.

Go to the bass forums if you want to get advice on a decent starter bass for your pal, they'll all agree to stay away from the t-bird though.
oh, and chances are the first act has a composite board (or whatever you want to call it) body, so replacing anything and everything will only have a limited benefit.

no, i would not replace ANYTHING except maybe straplocks or something else he could transfer to a new bass.