have you noticed?

hendrix, elvis, dimebag, tupac, stevie ray.... (all rip).... they all get more promotion then the alive ones.

eg. clapton still alive, but not so much hype. if he passed away 10 years ago, he would be known as greatest guitarist ever lived... like hendrix who only played like 5 years.

why is this?
Last edited by tuluks at Sep 10, 2007,
Because, you don't realize how good something is or how much you value it until it's truly gone
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by tuluks
have you noticed?

hendrix, elvis, tupac, stevie ray.... (all rip).... they all get more promotion then the alive ones.

eg. clapton still alive, but not so much hype. if he passed away 10 years ago, he would be known as greatest guitarist ever lived... like hendrix.

why is this?

Hendrix and Vaughn were masters at what they did. I don't know much about Elvis or Tupac so I can't say anything about them.
people dont like to talk ill of the dead and so tend to be overly respective,

because we don't know what they would have gone on to do people's imaginations run wild and they build them up into something they're not.

they never went through a poor part of their career and they died at the peak of their career (usually).

'you dont know what you've got till it's gone'

people like sob stories.

Pick one
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Look at Dime, He was a great player and a cool guy. A lot of people didn't know about him till he got shot.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
i doubt anybody would consider clapton the best guitarist even if he were dead...

i think those who died while still pursuing a career in music (all of those you listed) become kind of infamous because many people speculate as to what they would've done if their carrers hadn't been cut short
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Cliff Burton? Jaco Pastorious?

Go Ahead, You mention a rapper but you don't mention any bass players. Typical.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Because everyone is so happy that the people you mentioned are dead that they even ignore the fact that they were all a cancer upon the world and say their music was good out of a slight insanity caused by the extreme happiness they feel that the aforementioned people have died.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Randy Rhoads. The end.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Spay
Because, you don't realize how good something is or how much you value it until it's truly gone

Exactly ^
There is still lots of hype for the alive ones too, like Steve Vai etc.
Off subject, but van Gogh only sold 1 painting while he was alive, and his brother was an art dealer. Who knows why it's like that
Some of them, such as Elvis were huge at the time anyways. Elvis was huge in more than one way I guess.
they also get more media exposure, like you'll never see : zakk wylde's birthday today
but dimebags death anyversary is all over teh place
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I always made a point. No one really gave a **** about most of them when they were alive.

Now its just e.g.

Omgzors dimebag is totally the best guitarist in the world or

CLiffburton played bass with his .... fingers111!!1 that makes him the best bassist ever.

/fail
Quote by darkstar2466
Randy Rhoads. The end.

Chuck Schuldiner
Quote by The Kush
This should be put in the ****ing Bible.

Quote by Våd Hamster
You are an inspiration.

Quote by Blackwaterson89
Listen to TheBlessed Dead. The man is a genius. There should be a man of genius song about him. Stephen Hawking has nothing on TheBlessed Dead.
Quote by TheBlessed Dead
Chuck Schuldiner

+1.

It's because only the good (musicians) die young. So don't OD unless your really really good, people.
Quote by RageAgainst...
i doubt anybody would consider clapton the best guitarist even if he were dead...

i think those who died while still pursuing a career in music (all of those you listed) become kind of infamous because many people speculate as to what they would've done if their carrers hadn't been cut short

i doubt your doubt about doubting others doubts about clapton...
i bet if Mozart, bach, beethoven were still alive no one would give a crap about them, lol..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
yeah, the dead people's material that they have composed or played is gone. there is no more of it and it makes it all the more special and meaningful because of that.
read Killing Yourself to Live by Chuck Klosterman, it's a funny read on this subject
<('.'< ^('.')^ (>'.')>
i believe your question has already been answered numberous times so i will refrain from putting my two cents in upon the subject
We'll remember you forever Eddie
Through the sacrifice you made
We can't believe the price you paid
For love

Little Eddie Mitty born in Jersey City
Started singin' when he was five
Never knew his father, mother didn't bother
To catch his last name fast as he came

He was off and flying
Times were really trying
Eddie and his mother alone
Soon another mister, soon a baby sister
Mama kept swingin' and Eddie kept singin'

And now the tragic story
Eddie's sister, Mary Louise, needed an operation
To get the money he would have to become an overnight sensation
Eddie believed the American people
Had wonderful, lovegiving hearts
His well publicized end he considered would send
His memorial album to the top of the charts... and it did

When a young singer dies to our shock and surprise
In a plane crash or flashy sports car
He becomes quite well known
And the kindness he's shown has made more than one post mortem star
Well you did it Eddie, and though it's hard to applaud suicide
You gave all you could give so your sister could live
All America's choked up inside

We'll remember you forever Eddie
Through the sacrifice you made we can't believe the price you paid
For love

....Anyway, I think the reason is that people love wearing those colourful rubber bracelets with statements on them.

Never forget!
because after someone dies you can look back a refelct on their whole career from beginning to end, but if they're alive like say eric clapton and he starts doign collaborations with fred durst he probably would lose street cred, so people wait for artists to die before they can go look what blah blah did, and he never made an poor decisions etc etc etc.
Quote by Necrolust
i bet if Mozart, bach, beethoven were still alive no one would give a crap about them, lol..

i disagree. They would be hundreds of years old, so they'd probably get a fair bit of attention don;t you think?
If Hendrix were alive today people may see him as an influence, but a wash up - nothing but an old black guy who uses too many effects and does too much weird stuff, or - like Clapton - he may be playing acoustic pop music now.

It's that their lives were cut short at the height of their careers that we remember them as exactly that - the guitar god they were when they died.
Quote by face_haver
i disagree. They would be hundreds of years old, so they'd probably get a fair bit of attention don;t you think?

I meant if they were living in our era but with the same level of brightness and musical talents..

rondo ala turca would mean nothing compared to Cemetary Gates cause you know, it was pantera, dimebag was in it..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Because:

Jeff Buckley = Awesome
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~