Page 1 of 2
i see so many of these threads but now i know why people make them.

im after a set of humbuckers, for my build.
i play (in a word) metalcore.

been looking at emg's but i wanna check some more out before i spend my money, looking at spending about £150 the set (about $250)

so if you could suggest some that'd be greatly appreciated.

and finaly
PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME TO BUY A NEW AMP.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
buy a new amp with built in pickups!!!!!!!

ya but really...whats band you like, cuz wat you p[lay can be different from the sound you like
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
seymour duncan black outs.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
How about Dimarzio D-Activators, they're supposed to sound like actives, with all the advantages of being passive pickups (like no batteries).
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
bands i like to play are pretty much
the black dahlia murder.
and atreyu.
but mostly the black dahlia, i do play some bring me the horizon on the occasion( shh)
but i am leaning to some more melodic stuff like alexisonfire and funeral for a friend.

and thanks for all the suggestions keep em coming .
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Get the EMG's man, they sound good on any amp.
Gear: Gibson SG standard EMG ZW pickups, vintage Acoustic combo, Boss ME-50, 12 string Ibanez.
yeah thats what ive been thinking. i saw around here somewhere that the guy from the black dahlia uses them too, so thats right what i need really, i really dont like the sound of the 85 in the neck though, but im only going from the clips on their website
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
81b/60n if your gona get a nice set...i just sold an emg 81 on ebay for £15...so thye do go cheapish on there
Dimarzio D-Activator for the Neck, and Dimarzio X2N for the Bridge, they have the advantage of not needing batteries and are VERY dynamic pickups
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I just put an EMG85 in the bridge of my Ibanez Voyager and it is beyond awesome. I love it!
80's glamrocker & proud of it!
-Gear-
Ibanez - (2) RG560's, Ibanez X & RBM1
Ovation Acoustic/Electric Cutaway
Marshall AVT100 (practice amp)
Marshall Haze 40
Zakk Wylde Wah, EVH Phase90, Xotic BB Preamp, Black Label Chorus
i have the dimarzio breed in the neck and the dimarzio evolution in the bridge

i play metal and hardcore and i recommend them greatly

i think they sound great together
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
cheers ill check them out all of them, the blackouts are mega expensive to i don think ill be going with them.

EDIT: those are really nice pickups the evo and breed, i was abit woried about the neck pickup becuase my lespaul sounds sh*te in the neck.
im really considering them now thanks.

EDIT 2: isit possible to say have an 81 in the bridge and a dimarzio breed in the neck becuase of the EMG wiring thing, the complexitys not really a problem cz my stepdads an electrical engineer or was lol
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Last edited by admbwr at Sep 11, 2007,
Quote by admbwr
cheers ill check them out all of them, the blackouts are mega expensive to i don think ill be going with them.

EDIT: those are really nice pickups the evo and breed, i was abit woried about the neck pickup becuase my lespaul sounds sh*te in the neck.
im really considering them now thanks.

EDIT 2: isit possible to say have an 81 in the bridge and a dimarzio breed in the neck becuase of the EMG wiring thing, the complexitys not really a problem cz my stepdads an electrical engineer or was lol

Mixing actives and passives is a bit of a hassle and most of the time it's not really worth it. I wouldn't go for EMG's with your amp either - the only way you're going to get decent cleans is by drenching it with effects (EMG's generally sound rather bland without using a tube amp).
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
thats probably why it sounds so bad on my les paul then lol.
i just really dont like the 85 in the neck, but like this threa entails im open to any and all suggestions.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
try seymour duncans, a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I think its the SH-4 and SH-2n. They come together in the "hot rodded" set.
Quote by Cofflecakes
try seymour duncans, a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I think its the SH-4 and SH-2n. They come together in the "hot rodded" set.

Awesome pickups those, maybe consider an SH-1 59 in the neck and SH-4 JB in the bridge though.
so with seymour duncan do you get like a code thing etc 'sh4' and that means its the JB?

whats the SH5?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
The SH-5 would be good for your genres. Aggressive PAF voiced pickup. Better than the JB. Stick an SH-1 '59 in the neck, for a nice combo.

BTW, the reason why people say to buy a new amp is that sometimes people are looking to get certain tones out of the wrong amp, or have a poor amp that won't let the pickups shine.
Your amp would not be good for EMGs. It's also not the best amp for metalcore. Just something to keep in mind.
Dude you live in the UK which means we can get hold of Bareknuckles without the stupid US price hike. Sure it might cost a little over the 150 but man will the sound be awesome. Emg has been done soo many times its untrue. Nothing individual about them anymore so put your hand in your pocket and pay that little extra to shine.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
go with either dimarzio Evo/Air Norton combo or a Seymour duncan JB/59 combo

with the JB/59 combo u can hit all the leads but still have a metal tone
Quote by halikus
Dude you live in the UK which means we can get hold of Bareknuckles without the stupid US price hike. Sure it might cost a little over the 150 but man will the sound be awesome. Emg has been done soo many times its untrue. Nothing individual about them anymore so put your hand in your pocket and pay that little extra to shine.

That's true, he does live in the UK. I always seem to miss that detail, these days...
Look towards BKP, like he says, and at Swineshead.

Still don't think you should get new pickups though..
Hey what pickups would you guys recommend for hard blues up to some heavy metal? I know its kinda a big gap but I just want a bridge pickup that can push some breakup out of my amp by itself, but I'm not sure if i need a really high output pickup or just a medium out put one.
Quote by yoyodunno
Hey what pickups would you guys recommend for hard blues up to some heavy metal? I know its kinda a big gap but I just want a bridge pickup that can push some breakup out of my amp by itself, but I'm not sure if i need a really high output pickup or just a medium out put one.

You could always start a new thread.

We'd have to know your amp, first, to know if it would even be worth it to put new pickups in...But I'd say a Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 in the neck and a SH-11 Custom Custom or SH-14 Custom 5 in the bridge. These two are high-ish output, and can probably get some breakup, if you hit the strings hard enough, but they clean up well with a roll of the volume knob.
Sorry I didn't make a new thread seemed like this thread was coming to an end lol, so i've got the two amps in my sig. A Palomino and cube and the guitar I wanted to replace the pickup in is my g400, I think it would be worth it to upgrade pickups since i'm definitely not gonna get another amp after the palomino unless it was for bigger purposes.
Quote by halikus

oh boy i can dream theyre VERY expensive though.
it'l cost me about £200 ($400) to kit it out with some barenuckles.
oh how i love the nailbomb.

but besides that, i mentioned the sh5 because i read on the seymour duncan website that the black dahlia murder uses them, but i looked into it (becuase im not going to spend £65 on something just becuase my favourite band use it) and listened to a few clips and it seems very nice.
but dimarzio the breed is the sort of neck pickup i want and id rather not mix and match brands.

as for my amp, i know its not amazing, i was bought it as a present as a starter amp(im not complaining i quite like it )
but now ive started seeing some improvements ill consider buying a new one maybe when i get a job or something, as im funding all of this on saved college dinner money(you'd be surprised)
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
I alredy told you to get swineys

The breed is a great neck pickup though, great bridge pickup too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by yoyodunno
Sorry I didn't make a new thread seemed like this thread was coming to an end lol, so i've got the two amps in my sig. A Palomino and cube and the guitar I wanted to replace the pickup in is my g400, I think it would be worth it to upgrade pickups since i'm definitely not gonna get another amp after the palomino unless it was for bigger purposes.

*slaps forehead* Missed your sig, somehow. The V8 is a good amp.
Then yeah, the pickups I mentioned are a good bet for you.

Right now, I've got a SH-14 in my SG (Well, kinda. It was an SH-5, but I changed the magnet to an Alnico 5, like the SH-14. That's the only difference.) and it's plenty aggressive for hard rock, and would be able to do metal with the right amp/distortion pedal. I also play blues, and it sounds great, for that hot blues sound, with a roll of the volume knob.
As mentioned I have the SH1 59 and SH4 JB in a pair in my ESP LTD H400, its quite a metalcore guitar and they sound pretty bitchin'

Check it, they're Zebra in mine like below, I'd thoroughly recommend them...apparently Zebra's sound better too *chuckle*

Last edited by Jim_Fear at Sep 11, 2007,
im telling you you cant go wrong with dimarzio evo in the bridge and a seymour duncan sh-1 59' in the neck
Quote by Tool_46n2
Get the EMG's man, they sound good on any amp.

not in solid state amps, they don't suck, but it's a waste of money if you have a crappy amp (which is not the case in this thread)

you should take a look into bareknuckle pickups, they might be really expensive if you're outside of the uk though
^ theyre expensive in the uk lol

so far as decisions go , i REALLY like the breed in the neck, and the Sh5 in the bridge is sweeet.

i don't want to mix and match brands though.

it's pretty hard for me to find a neck pup that i actualy like, so if anyone can recomend a dimarzio to couple up with the breed that'd be great.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
haha i'd rather have a different one. unless double barrel breeds is amazing then obs going for that.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Y'know, I knew what that post was going to be...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

If you want Breeds get them from thomann...they're cheaper than anywhere in the UK

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=breed

If you want to look really badass get the chrome tops...they cost twice as much, but it's worth it for the right guitar
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Page 1 of 2