Before I start I must say I have the upmost respect for anyone that can create music, and I'm not bashing on metal (heck dude even I am obsessed with it).

Anyways, why is it that every guitarist I meet only plays a metal style of guitar and doesn't know anything besides metal. We've been looking for another guitarist for a while and everytime I ask one what kinda music they like their always like "NO, METAL OWNS CLASSIC ROCK AND ALL OTHER GENRES!"

I guess my question is, why is it so many new guitar players are so overly-obsessed with just playing metal style and not learning anything outside of it?
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Because they might want to play just metal? It sounds dumb but if someone wants to be in a metal band, why would they learn jazz, classical, blues, country or anything else?

EDIT: Another reason is that in most cases tehy probably havn't even herad music from other genres. I know when I started i'd only heard metal and a bit of old rock.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Metal can be a valid musical form when you get to intricate theory based construction in it using modes and scales and other musical witchcraft - so each to their own really

But versatility ftw

EDIT: ^ Yeah accesibility to that sort of music is hard, classical music is frowned upon by the general pop loving public, blues is never spoken of and jazz is really hard to get into, when i was starting to get into it i had to trail through wikipedia downloading and getting copies of random albums trying to make sense of it
its called being close minded

alot of people are and there is very little you can do about it unfortunatley

just keep looking
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
I have my own theories on this: mostly because it'll be the music that they listen to and like, but i think it's partly to do with people wanting to be admired, because when you can shred at a decent standard it does sound impressive...and people, deep down, just want to be liked or accepted...

It's all to do with human nature...I personally don't want to learn any metal techniques at this time, because i mainly listen to blues...you learn what you like...
mostly all teen bands I see today are either punk, or metal. When I started playing I decided I needed to widen my musical taste if I wanted to be a better musician and that got me into classic rock and blues, but all these metalheads that know all powerchords and only fast emotionless soloing live here. I'm not saying all metal players are like that, but alot of them seem to be, at least where I live.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by DefectedFromGod
mostly all teen bands I see today are either punk, or metal. When I started playing I decided I needed to widen my musical taste if I wanted to be a better musician and that got me into classic rock and blues, but all these metalheads that know all powerchords and only fast emotionless soloing live here. I'm not saying all metal players are like that, but alot of them seem to be, at least where I live.

any acompliseh metal player doesn't only use power chords, i myself write metal songs and the lead is genrally playing a harmonic with the rythem playing dropped power chords or the same harmonic only an octave lower to compliment the lead, my solos are always heartfelt and never emotionless or simple

eh thats how it is in a lot of places

well either that or like here with
hey guess what everyone in town but you only knows how to play hey there delilah

personally [im a neo classical guitarist myself] just get a guitarist for your band and write the songs yourself

make them learn other styles, i did that to myself and it helps
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Last edited by envoykrawkwar7 at Sep 10, 2007,
Quote by DefectedFromGod

you seriously think playing fast is emotionless.

that would be like me saying people who play red guitars are emotionless
The Conservative youth of America!
No one likes real metal around here, I wish I had your problem bro. Everyone here is a poppunk/mallcore/retardxcore fan.

When I started all I listened to was classic rock, and then I listened to Master of Puppets by Metallica. I was a metalhead ever since. I still listen to classic rock at times, but it's all personal choice. Some people love metal and nothing else, some people love classic rock and nothing else. Some like every genre.
Quote by metalscott76
you seriously think playing fast is emotionless.

Hell no I do not seriously think that. I mean there is so much amazing music that is fast. But here where I live EVERYONE plays scales fast in any order they can. There is very little emotion that comes out of the teen guitarists here.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by DefectedFromGod

Exact same case with where I live.
Because being close-minded is much more comfortable and takes less effort.
People who trap themselves into a single style obviously have no desire to become better musicians.

Alot of kids starting out are probably drawn to metal because alot of it can be dumbed down to simple power chords. They can play them, then brag about "being in a metal band".

Then again, this is the experience that I have had, and others opinions will differ (like the people who can actually stand more than 2 metal songs before wanting to scoop out their ears with a fork).
Metal is a good starting point for many things, and for me infinitely preferable to most "Indie" (how is that even a genre, surely it's a misnomer?) and punk. Myself I try to play all sorts, bar classical but that's more a lack of knowledge of it as opposed to an unwillingness to play it (a lot of it is brilliant in my view) Blues is pretty much metal's ancestor so there are many interchangeable things there too

My point is we should be celebrating as much guitar based music as possible, even if it isn't the best at least people can play instruments and have a modicum of talent
Metal is cool, and I like to play some of it, but I'm not a very gifted guitarist. I am a creative guitarist, but I am not a technical and complex guitarist. I suppose if I sat down for an hour every day and did all the practice necessary to sweep-pick and shred at twenty notes per second, I would eventually do so. But I don't have a really huge desire to play anything fast. Sometimes, yeah, but I'm just not that good. I can play relatively fast, but it's not melodic. More Blues-fast than Metal-fast.
Not everyone is like that. Though I agree its becoming a trend to amongst teenage guitarists nowadays to say "oMgZ Dimebagg (R.I.P)) > Jimmy Page lolzzz"

Gets rather irritating.

I love metal, but I love music in general as well. I listen to Cannibal Corpse etc but I really like Led Zeppelin and SRV, and I respect the pioneers even more now coz I'm taking music theory lessons and doing some basic jazz and blues atm.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by Eternal_One
Not everyone is like that. Though I agree its becoming a trend to amongst teenage guitarists nowadays to say "oMgZ Dimebagg (R.I.P)) > Jimmy Page lolzzz"

Gets rather irritating.

I love metal, but I love music in general as well. I listen to Cannibal Corpse etc but I really like Led Zeppelin and SRV, and I respect the pioneers even more now coz I'm taking music theory lessons and doing some basic jazz and blues atm.

I respect those musicians and all, and Jimmy Page is one of my influences. But I am certainly more influenced by Jerry Cantrell, Johnny Winter, Chris Cornell, Angus Young, Tony Iommi, and even Mike McCready to an extent. People do get kind of annoying when they are all, "Dimebag is my god" though.
Well, personally I am in a pop-rock band with a kind of indie feel. Our cover list include everything from Fall Out Boy to The Beatles. I personally love playing the blues but I would list Dimebag as one of my influences. And now back to the topic. Most teen metal bands are made up of those kids who sit in the back of the class and throw pencils at the ceiling. I am sure if you keep looking you'll find a blues player in your town some where. Try looking in places you wouldn't normally go, like coffee houses and the like.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
I think a reason could be is that they spend so much time devoted to learning to shred that they miss out on other styles of music. I could be way off though.
I think a lot of it is to do with playing what you like to hear. I mean it's not much fun to play music that you don't like the sound of. But I think when they start learning theory properly it'll make them appreciate other genres more. Now that I know a lot more about theory and how the music is constructed, I'm able to enjoy other styles (such as jazz and blues) a lot more than I used to. And even the songs that I don't like, I can respect due to appreciating the effort by those writing and performing it.
I'm kinda wondering the same thing. All the kids I know that play guitar just play nu-metal.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by DefectedFromGod

At least where you live they actually do solos
I think its because its the easiest genre to play. Everyone where i live plays metal or some form of emo music which sucks and gets old.
This doesnt belong
nooo it doesnt belong
so I'll sing this song
about how it does not
*drum fill*
belong
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.