whatsup everybody. Im teaching myself guitar, and i was wondering, whats a good way to teach myself guitar chords? Like how do i memorize them?

thanks,
minorffense
Quote by TSelman
Memorize them in shapes.

Quoted for truth!
WOOAAAAHHHH
Quote by TSelman
Memorize them in shapes.

Yes and no; memorize the shapes, yes, but don't just do that: you should also know how chords are constructed and what notes make up what chords, you might want to be able to recognize certain chord types in a song. Anyway, learn the theory behind them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TSelman
Memorize them in shapes.

Quoted for falsehood!

Don't just learn the shapes, learn what the notes in the chord are and how they relate to each other. Chords aren't just random patterns that happen to sound good, there's clearly defined rules of chord construction. If you start learning those too you'll find that eventually you don't actually have to memorise chords. Instead, you'll know how to create them, even if it's a chord you've never heard of before.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Don't just learn the shapes, learn what the notes in the chord are and how they relate to each other. Chords aren't just random patterns that happen to sound good, there's clearly defined rules of chord construction. If you start learning those too you'll find that eventually you don't actually have to memorise chords. Instead, you'll know how to create them, even if it's a chord you've never heard of before.

Don't listen to steven seagull! He has no clue what he's doing!

Just kidding. This man speaks the truth.

I have a friend who can play chords but he literally couldn't even tell you what they're called. He just learned them from tabs that didn't say the names. So, it's definitely important to understand the theory behind the chords. Because it'll help you later on, especially in metal guitar, to learn things like arpeggios.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Well duh, don't just learn shapes. I'm just saying what a really basic person should know.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
http://www.guitar-players-toolbox.com/basic-guitar-chord-charts.html
Although im still quite a newb at guitar this chart really helped me break the ice when learning open chords. I just started with the majors (G, C, A, D, E) And just played them over switching between them in a pattern. Then i added the minors (A, E, D) and added those into my pattern. I've been just playing these 8 chords alot lately back and forth and i've been progressing alot, so maybe this will get you going.