ok im lookin for a pretty good soldering iron for pickup replacements and stuff like that

im lookin for one not to expensive or and not to cheap but i will take any suggestions right now im just lookin for some good advice right now
ug's cool so i guess im cool to

Originally Posted by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Originally Posted by Virgil_Hart05
no...stop being fat
Just go to radioshack and buy one with not about 30 watts, or one that you can switch between 30 or 15 or something like that so it doesn't burn the electronics, they're usually only like 10 bucks.

Or if you wanna be all, "professional" and spend more than you should

http://store.guitarfetish.com/soirandac.html
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
I don't know about brands, but personally I like the pistol type with the trigger. It handles well and a very big plus is the fact that it switches off the moment you put it aside and is activated only when you pick it up again. That way it doesn't lay around on the workbench ready to cause damage, fire or injury the moment you focus your attention elsewhere.
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Just go to radioshack and buy one with not about 30 watts, or one that you can switch between 30 or 15 or something like that so it doesn't burn the electronics, they're usually only like 10 bucks.

Or if you wanna be all, "professional" and spend more than you should

http://store.guitarfetish.com/soirandac.html

Lower wattages are more dangerous. You have to hold it in one spot too long, so it is more likely to burn your pots than a higher wattage.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
However, too hot can have the opposite effect.

Just don't hold it til plastic starts melting. If it does, back off... let it cool down, then start again.

I use a Weller 25 watt.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
I use a Weller 25 watt, ancient thing and I love it. Also have Radio Shack 30 watter, does a good job.

I don't know about brands, but personally I like the pistol type with the trigger]

If you're talking about the Weller 100/140 watt jobs, that's way too much wattage for small work and unacceptable for circuit boards because it sends an electrical current through he board that can fry components. It doesn't happen often but can.

I only use mine for serious stuff like resoldering the ground points on an amp chassis, the ground wire on back of a strat, places where the 25 watter can't produce enough heat without staying there 20 minutes because it's trying to also heat a large slab of metal.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Marcel Veltman
I don't know about brands, but personally I like the pistol type with the trigger. It handles well and a very big plus is the fact that it switches off the moment you put it aside and is activated only when you pick it up again. That way it doesn't lay around on the workbench ready to cause damage, fire or injury the moment you focus your attention elsewhere.

While they are nice, they aren't suited for more smaller electronic work. At the moment I'm using a 46w Goot Pencil - it's light, is temperature regulated and heats up in 10 seconds. I think it was about $50AU, which is half the price of the cheapest soldering stations available.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
While they are nice, they aren't suited for more smaller electronic work. At the moment I'm using a 46w Goot Pencil - it's light, is temperature regulated and heats up in 10 seconds. I think it was about $50AU, which is half the price of the cheapest soldering stations available.

True enough. Getting those tiny colored bugs on a print without frying them definetely requires a sharp pointed pencil model like you have, and even these are often too clumsy for working on the more modern electronic devices.
The internals of a regular passive guitar however, are not to be regarded as 'smaller electronic work'. It's all pretty much pre-WWII technology going on there. A sturdy jurassic soldering gun will do better here than a tiny pencil.
Problem is that there is not one soldering iron suitable for every possible job. I myself have three different irons for electronics and three more for other applications. When forced to decide for only one tool, I agree that you can work around the limitations of good pencil, while a gun can be utterly useless in many cases.
I use something like the pencil, but the metal part is thicker. It's about 35w and thats plenty for guitar work (for me at least). Make sure to get one of those soldering braids too, they suck up the excess solder if you're unsoldering or just bad at it.
haha the only one i own is a $10 one from radio shack. no stand, no sponge, no temp control... nothing.

luckily i get to use all the nice equipment and supplies id never be able to afford at school for free
Yeah, I have 3 Radio Shack units... 2 of the cheapies and one of the switchable 15/30. They all work OK... but nothing spectacular. The Weller heats up fast and has a light on it to keep you from burning down the house.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music