Page 1 of 2
So today I was in biology, and our teacher brought up the most philosophically brought up question of all time,

"What is life?"

It made me think for hours and hours.

What is life?

How does it happen?

Why do we die?

This is my response;

Life is not real, there never was "Life" nor was there any "Death" just "Dead"
Our body is just made of things. Just things, nothing supernatural. Just things, that can be compared to forest wildlife, or the ocean water. But it just so happens that these "Things" work together so pefectly that, together, these things can move as one. And these things work so wonderfully together, that in the eyes, they can see. In the brain, they can remember. In the nose, they can smell. Etc.
But as you know, nothing goes without eventual change. Since we were fortunate enough to develop increase cranial power, we Humans tried to figure out the question; What is life? Then this question develops into religion, then it turns into the lifelong goal of some scientists.

But in my honest opinion, we are nothing more than robots that have evolved.

/rant.

Sorry if i dont explain it too well.

Its such a hard questioin to answer its hard to put into words.

And also, im not trying to answer this question, I just hope it made some of you think
life is the proper operation of your bodily functions, that is all, there is no higher thought needed for life
Can I just say that if that's a philosophy teacher's question, your teacher should be fired NOW.

We spent 2 hours today discussing whether belief, truth and justification are reliable factors to make knowledge. It was the most interesting conversation I've ever had with a group of people.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
man, i got up just things, supernatural things, and thought, "i need to take up drugs to care."
Yeah life is a mystery.
Technically, no matter should exist, because (if you believe in the big bang) everythin, which at the time, wouldve just been energy, should have parted at a constant rate, which means that none of it should have bundled together to form matter in the first place.
But take a note from buddha
(not exact quote) "why ask me about the world? If you were to be shot in the neck with an arrow, you wouldnt question how it got there, simply how to deal with it. It is the same for life"
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
Quote by skwiddy
man, i got up just things, supernatural things, and thought, "i need to take up drugs to care."
Yeah life is a mystery.
Technically, no matter should exist, because (if you believe in the big bang) everythin, which at the time, wouldve just been energy, should have parted at a constant rate, which means that none of it should have bundled together to form matter in the first place.
But take a note from buddha
(not exact quote) "why ask me about the world? If you were to be shot in the neck with an arrow, you wouldnt question how it got there, simply how to deal with it. It is the same for life"

Thee point of this thread was to kinda steer towards the other direction.
Life is not a mystery, its just machinery
life is a huge rainbow made of happy glow in the dark splodeys, and it happens cause the government and aliens wants to watch us fight like the idiots we are over meaningless stuff, and we die cause we arent good enough.... ahaha i dunno ^_^
We're just made up of 'things' ey? That's a little too vague for me...

I reckon there must be more to life than us having evolved from Ocean Slime and all that malarkey, there must be a reason every human is different, you know, having a soul and a personality.
Quote by MightyAl
It made me think at least 1/3 of every post in this will be that damn pear.

I like that pear....
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Christians say that animals don't go to Heaven. Why is that? Because animals don't have the brain capacity that humans do, therefore they have never developed the idea of a God. But humans did, because we have the brains to do so.

We're all the same. Life is just a series of atoms and cells and atmosphere and water and air and whatnot. We'll die and we'll rot in the ground.

It's morose, but it's one of few logical explenations. As living creatures, we've just developed more than most beings and now the thought of death scares us and we have to create an afterlife just to calm us down, when in actuality, when dead, we'll probably be the same as a dead cow skeleton in a field, or a cat ran over by a car, etc.
Poor advice.
Quote by MightyAl

We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by Gu1T@r_H3r0

I reckon there must be more to life than us having evolved from Ocean Slime and all that malarkey, there must be a reason every human is different, you know, having a soul and a personality.

Yeah, my MUCH more logical guess would be a magical guy put us here as we are 6,000 years ago when the earth was created.

But TS, that's biology for you...
Have you thought that the biology teacher was just asking "What are the seven main life processes?"?
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
There was this guy who was the ruler of some underwater kingdom in the sky who created man in his image. In HIS OWN image. Sound like an egomaniacal ass.
Poor advice.
life:

1. a thing without value

ie: he gave his life for his country
Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
Quote by stellar_legs
There was this guy who was the ruler of some underwater kingdom in the sky who created man in his image. In HIS OWN image. Sound like an egomaniacal ass.

Have you heard the song Bukowski by Modest Mouse?
Quote by clincher09

Beat me to it!
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Yeah, it's great that we are here, but at the same time, it kind of sucks balls knowing that we will be nothing again.

Still.......PARTY!
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
well, i was in biology and got given crackers

and life's a b*tch, then you die.
it's hard to imagine that there may not be any reason to our existance at all or why we are here instead of not. I get so mad sometimes that i wish those damn kids hadn't wished to be beetleborgs but instead asked Flabber what the meaning of life was.
That made me think a little. Well, what I got from it is...you just told me how my body works. Not really philosophical, but the idea behind it is, it get's me thinking.
Quote by Rocking-Rob
as douglas adams would say (or deep thought): 42

HItchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ftw

on topic, Life is a board game by Milton Bradley
I tend not to care what us here. I'm here, why should I not be content with that? Why must I always seek an answer? Life isn't meaningless just because we don't know how it began. I'm going to make the best of my life instead of constantly searching for why it began. I mean, once we do finally know, what will we make of it anyways?
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by Gu1T@r_H3r0

In my opinion,
our personality is a mere illusion,
our brain just directs us to what we want,
and soon it becomes acustomed to what it gets,
and it can be shaped over time
Quote by MightyAl

Too complicated for me man...
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by GuitarHero0715
In my opinion,

Cut with the pseudo-philisophical shit please.
Quote by GuitarHero0715
In my opinion,

Can you explain to me how personality is an illusion?
Dem Dry Bones
Current read: I Am America (And You Can Too) (Stephen Colbert)
Album of the Week: Four Thieves Gone (The Avett Brothers)
Quote by Gu1T@r_H3r0
Are you on crack?

haha, no,

i dunno i feel weirdish today,

ive been thinking alot about this
and decided to see others' input on my point on this whole 'life' thing

Edit:

Quote by doctor_rocker
Can you explain to me how personality is an illusion?

Sorry I worded that in a confusing way,

Im trying my best at describing whats in my head, in words.
Holy ****, you people are so cold and lifeless. "Life is machinery"? "Life is biology working togeather"? "Life is evolution"? You people sound like office drones devoid of all happiness and spirit. Pathetic...

Life is the joy of a temperate day or the warmth of hot coco on a cold one. Life is the thrill of speeding down a powdery slope strapped to a thin strip of fiberboard, the excitement of winning a game, the relief of cheating death. Life is the disappointment in a F or the pride in an A. Life is the affection you feel for someone close and the pain you feel when you lose them. Life is all of these things and an infinity more, not some abstract measurement of Biology.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Holy ****, you people are so cold and lifeless. "Life is machinery"? "Life is biology working togeather"? "Life is evolution"? You people sound like office drones devoid of all happiness and spirit. Pathetic...

Life is the joy of a temperate day or the warmth of hot coco on a cold one. Life is the thrill of speeding down a powdery slope strapped to a thin strip of fiberboard, the excitement of winning a game, the relief of cheating death. Life is the disappointment in a F or the pride in an A. Life is the affection you feel for someone close and the pain you feel when you lose them. Life is all of these things and an infinity more, not some abstract measurement of Biology.

That sounds like the end of a South Park Episode, where Stan or Kyle has their 'revelation'
Quote by NorseGodofRock

You're talking totally off topic

Edit: n00b
Quote by Gu1T@r_H3r0
That sounds like the end of a South Park Episode, where Stan or Kyle has their 'revelation'

"I learned something today..."

Quote by GuitarHero0715
You're talking totally off topic

I don't see how its off topic.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Sep 10, 2007,
Quote by NorseGodofRock

Calm down buddy, some people like to be realistic. Does that make them pathetic? Maybe in your eyes. And just remember kids, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668727
Page 1 of 2