A friend of mine has a Squier Affinity Strat. He bought it used and hates it. He says, "he can't feel the frets". I took a look at it for him, and is frets are really worn down and thin. I told him that he could take it to a shop and get it refretted, but it wasn't really worth it, and he should just buy a new guitar. He asked if I could refret it, and at first I said I didn't really know how, but I'd like to learn. He said he'd let me learn on his guitar, so my Question to UG is, how do you refret? I took a quick read over the stickies really quick, and didn't find anything. So, Help me UG?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
projectguitar.com might help. but rly, on something that cheap, get a new guitar. or a new neck. but then again, the neck would cost more than the guitar did. unless he wants to do it for experiance or as practice, just go buy a new guitar.
Quote by qotsa1998
projectguitar.com might help. but rly, on something that cheap, get a new guitar. or a new neck. but then again, the neck would cost more than the guitar did. unless he wants to do it for experiance or as practice, just go buy a new guitar.

He said he wanted to buy a new neck, but I said it would be more worth it to buy a new guitar. If I can do the refretting myself under $100, I think I'll do that and not charge him for anything, because he's letting me learn on his guitar.
Quote by ratzgame
I just found this in google, good luck
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/fretting.htm

Thank you!, I'll need it.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

well i have something around the house somewhere that could help but i cant find it unfortunately. but if you want to wait a couple of weeks you could go to www.grizzly.com(machines and woodworking, not smokeless tobacco make sure you go to the right one) but you could order their 2007 catalog and they have a special guitar building section. you could order the fret wire real cheap too (compared to local prices, dont know about your area.) and all you do is pull up the fret wire with some needle nose pliers or tinsnips(nail pullers) or you might have to use a wood chisel becuz the older guitars ive worked with had some serious stickage to the frets but BE CAREFUL wood chisels could f*ck up your neck royally. and then cut the fret wire to sizes just a little bit wider than the neck, press it in (i think the ones they sell come with an adhesive to keep them in better) and use a metal file or something like that to file down the edges to an angle to get a good set and feel. they have like six different sizes, so if i find my catalog ill put up the parts numbers and the place to call to get them so you can do it.

from Master to Apprentice
the tricks of the trade.
guitar is an art.
not a pasttime
guitar is an object to be loved and cared for
not an instrument.
treat it good and it will treat you better
treat like crap and it reflects your own skills.

so any way
yea just order that catalog and you can buy cheap fret wire, good stuff too, in different sizes.
^ Thank you too! After skimming over some of those sites, it seems like a task I'm up to. I may need special tools though.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123