how do you find working with other musicians when they know little or no theory? do you find it limits what can be acheived when people only work by ear?
the pic theif strikes again

Member #1 of im not a member of anything, and i dont wanna be. PM me to join
Hmm...

Most people with eat know theory...

Which they figure out what fits by ear...

My buddy can't play for sh*t so it's hard to play anything with him.

Except Orion, which is pretty bad*ss.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
I find that it's a much easier route to just sit them down and explain to them a little about the scales and chords you're using. Then they can at least kind of understand when you say: "I'm going to play the chords G7 Fmaj7 and Cmaj7 each for a bar while you solo over them with the C major scale." They can at least understand why and what you're saying.
no
i dont
because i know a lot and then working with some one who doesnt allows creation of two unique and blended styles
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
I think it is a pain in the ass to work with anybody who doesn't know at least a basic amount about theory.
tried explaining, but as he is the guitarist and im "the lowly bassist" he just doesnt seem to want to hear it from me

at least its not just me being stuck up and unreasonable then

Quote by envoykrawkwar7
no
i dont
because i know a lot and then working with some one who doesnt allows creation of two unique and blended styles

I know little to no theory and that what happens in the band I'm in and I think it works out great.

If you want to go anywhere with music besides playing for free at your friends parties, your band has to know some basic theory.
Well if the person has a great natural ear and talent for playing their instrument then knowing theory doesn't matter. but often i notice that what they play makes a lot of sense if you apply theory. it just seems like they understand it without knowing it. I only know a couple people like that though. Otherwise I feel at least a basic understanding is very useful.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I know the necessary stuff but when people go advanced on me and start whipping out crap like diminished and empowered chord figures, I start to laugh a little because I'm so utterly lost. I know how to make my bass sound good with what other people are playing though, unless it's death metal. Then it's impossible. Just be another guitarist srsly.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I'm not being stuck up and unreasonable, and nor are you, for expecting someone to learn something that will help to make music.

+1
I had a guitarist who didn't even knew the names of the powerchords he played. Not knowing theory is like instead of saying "Go through the door" you say "go through... that thing... that like opens and you can like go through the wall."
^i want to cut and paste some of that

the shold going through the wall thing would be perfect
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
It's entirely possible to make great music without any formal theory knowledge, you can play great music with no theory knowledge if you work everything out by ear. Theory just makes all that easier, it's basically all the experiences of musicians before written down. And as I've said before, if you are truly passionate about music, why would you avoid learning theory? Surely you'd want to know as much about it as you possibly could.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Then he is a jerkass, needs to get off his high horse, and learn some theory. I hate people that don't know something, and don't want to learn. It just bugs me.

i wish i'd never learnt who paris hilton was. that's what bugs me. i have had a different attitude towards people not wanting to learn something ever since.

I think it can only be a problem when someone doesn't know the basics - things like scales or keys - i hate it when i ask someone what key its in and they say something like "3rd fret". it makes me want to play "G C F Bb D G" over and over again. or i guess they mean G, and start playing in G and it ends up being wrong. Its even worse when they just shrug.

Thing is i can deal with these "problems" by using my ears. I don't have to be told what key somethings in to be able to jam along with it. I don't even know what key my own songs are in until somebody tells me, if i did, it would've been all pentatonic and crap imo. So i know a little theory, but it craps out my creativity if i use it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
The real problem in lack of music theory isnt playing by yourself, its when you try to articulate your ideas to other musicians.
I AM that musician with little to no theory knowledge. Luckily my ear training is really coming along. But I plan on getting theory lessons soon.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
I've actually run into problems trying to Jam with music students who know a lot of theory, but didn't have any practical experience with the type of music we were trying. Some people (band kid music majors) can get so hung up overthinking theory that they become afraid to improvise, or get confused when you use abnormal chord progressions etc. This of course goes away with actual calaborative, free form experience.

We grow up listening to music everywhere, tv, radio, our home, church, school, etc. People carry a thorogh understanding of musical theory even if they have never heard the term "c major scale." It is just subconcious unarticulated knowledge. We all know what sounds good and what doesn't, what works musically and what doesn't. Lots of great musicians can apply these principles without knowing proper names for them.

All that said, it helps a lot to work with people who at least understand the basics so that you can be on the same page before you start playing, beyond that I don't honestly think it matters, I would say that working by ear doesn't limit some musicians in the least.
it ****ing does my nut in man.

rythm guitarist and pianist/keyboardist wont learn theory even though i tell them its important for song writing.

its really hard trying to jam with them.
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ