Page 1 of 2
Guys,this is the guitar i am getting,what do you guys think? i play rock,fun rock and abit of hard rock like songs like face down or chop suey
I really just want to know what fun rock is.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
The question is.

What do you think?

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by Lightitup
I really just want to know what fun rock is.

lol i was thinking the same thing
the problem sometimes with adding a floyd rose on a Strat is that on a strat kneck its bent from one end to the other. A bit like this: [ ) ] so sometimes there will be loads of dead notes in the middle, the two ends are fine, so that means that the action has to be higher than usual. But other than that there a great guitar to play!
Get a mexican fat-strat (I think you can get them) Because a hum will help alot when it comes to the heavier stuff you play. But as a loss of that, you wont have a single-bridge, which will help alot with the funk/RHCP sound.
isn't that one up there a mexican fat strat?but will i still be able to play funk rock still?
^ Yeh its a fatty, but it had a FR trem, and unless your gunna be doing alot of whammy work and dive-bombs it isnt worth the hassle, if your only going to use a slight bit of trem work, or none at all, then there is no point of having a FR.

Funk rock, probably still achievable on a hum, but it wont be as close as I would like to RHCP, John relies heavily on older vintage strat's single coils.
Then what if i get a single coil? my fren has a 50th anniversary one,it has a single one,but if i got a single coil one,can i get the heavier sounds?
I think you should look up some more info on the difference between humbuckers and single-coils, it will expand your knowledge a fair bit. But in a nutshell (though not entirely true)

Single-coils are used best for cleans/light overdrive up to reasonably crunchy overdrive, but they can struggle, or maybe sound not as thick as humbucker pickups when it comes to heavy distortion and other metal-esque tones.

humbuckers on the other hand handle heavily distorted tones alot easier than single-coils (look at metal/heavy rock bands, most will have hums) same with overdrive, but (although this is opinion) their cleans are not as nice a single-coils.

Im not saying you wont be able to play funk with a humbucker in the bridge, but it wont be as sparkly or naturally bright as a normal strat single-coil alas 'the legendary strat tone' but at the same time, if you had single-coils it could struggle, or sound not as thick when playing your heavier stuff such as you listed.

I would ask for someone elses opinion as well, as it is mostly opinion, and as far as Im aware, funk is a brighter tone, and John from RHCP uses single-coils. But it depends on what humbucker/single-coils are in the guitar as to what tones they can do, a high-output single coil can get pretty heavy, vice-versa as a lower-output hum.
Sigh,but i was actually thinking of a RG350(ibanez) but my friends recommended the strat,but i really don't mind the strat,but its the looks i don't like,i hate the head shape.I rather sharp cool heads like the ibanez.And the strat is kinda expensive..sigh,a second hand one?
The ibanez would defo do the heavy stuff, but cleans it will lack (im assuming its not a higher-end ibanez) Try them both, tone is subjective.

May I ask what amp you have? and also if you have another guitar already (do you play already?)
i have an acoustic amp,i know it aint for electric cos of the fact that theres only 2 knobs..
just fyi, it takes a longer time to change strings with floyd rose bridges.. it may stress you out if you dont have the patience..
plz do not get a black strat,there are way too many of those ugly thing in this world....fat strat good tho i was playin one the other day,better then sss imo
www.gameandsave.com

Good Deals:

-UG-Sumphead,Miggy01,Bostonrocks

-HC-sdresdre,XMahkaihX,Juan_M,mmcquain,teletaylor,frankiej
^so waht's ugly??? did u say the black strat? ehem.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
k,but the first pic,its still a mexican fat strat HSS,just that its one with a locking trem,it only cost about an additional 100 bucks,think i should get it? and which colour? i wa thinking the sunburst?
i love my plain black stratocaster with a white pickguard and a one-piece maple neck.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
plain black looks too plain n dull for my taste,maybe with gold hardware and a pickguard other than white it could look pretty good
www.gameandsave.com

Good Deals:

-UG-Sumphead,Miggy01,Bostonrocks

-HC-sdresdre,XMahkaihX,Juan_M,mmcquain,teletaylor,frankiej
TS, have you already got an electric guitar or not?

If you have and its playable then although I hate to say it, a new electric guitar amp will do wonders.
Quote by NoobOnZone
Guys,this is the guitar i am getting,what do you guys think? i play rock,fun rock and abit of hard rock like songs like face down or chop suey

i wouldnt really recommend this guitar unless:

1.) You DESPERATELY want a Floyd Rose, which is ok but if you dont really need it, dont get it (you'll regret it later)
2.) You are a crazy iron maiden fan and want to copy them

really, if you want to play RHCP just buy a SSS mexican strat
Yes,i do want a floyd rose..and i want to get a little metal kind of sound..not too much...listen to songs like the hell song..chop suey? slightly metal,but not very.Do you think i can get that sound with the SSS mexican strat? and is it more expensive then the mexican HSS strat?
^ not sure about that song but it should do metalish songs fine. but the issue is, if your not gonna do crazy whammy bar tricks like steve vai or EVH, the FR is honestly not worth it. however, if you still really desperately want the FR go for it. later on you might want to change the humbucker.

the mexician SSS strat is cheaper but im unsure if it could handle the metalish sound your looking for
hm,ok
the mexican HSS is abit expensive,as long the SSS is cheaper,i'll go try it out,
hm..any other suggestions on any affordable fenders? one that can handle funk rock like RHCP and a slight metal like Sum41
Okay, TS, Iv got a better idea.

Whats your budget, your guitar doesnt have to be fender, there may be other brands that can do what you want easier, because going for a fender is gunna be hard to get everything you want, and you will have to compromise something. And unless you want to whammy-wank a FR is not worth it at all, and songs like Chop Suey etc, although are heavy and 'metalish' do not need a Floyd Rose trem (as far as im aware)
If you really want a Fender for funk, the MIM SSS is the axe you want. And believe me, you dont need the FR. Its an unwanted pain in the a$$ since the songs you play really dont require any use of the FR whatsoever anyway. And you really need to invest in a good amp also. You cant get the tone you want just by buying a Fender. Most of the tone would come from your amp. Remember, its more important to have a great amp instead of a great guitar.

Basically, a MIM HSS would be a good choice too because the hum would be better off for the metal you play. But you would really be sacrificing the bridge single coil, which gives off very nice funk tones. Its a tough choice actually, think about all your options before deciding.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
But which guitar? i don't know..the impression i have on whammy bars are just for fun to mess around now and then,to shake it once in a while..not crazy tricks like the ones herman lee does...but if not a FR,then which one should i get?
but what kind of troubles does the FR bring? if restringing is the problem,i don't mind...i really feel that the mexican HSS is a good choice and if theres no other problems with the FR other den restringing,i might just get one...of course i will try it out first,
But what amp to get? i know its important,planning to get all these during the sale at sweelees
Tuning instability, restringing hassle, re-adjusting the springs for different gauges. The problems are endless. And if you want to 'shake it once in a while', its better to NOT get it. Its not worth the trouble. Try and look for a MIM HSS without a FR or a MIM SSS. Those would be your best bets.

EDIT: As for the amp, whats your budget for the amp itself?
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
hm..not really sure..all depends on how much the guitar will cost...but the guitar,is there such thing as a fender that does not have a whammy?
Page 1 of 2