Page 1 of 2
Which Engl should i buy?. I need great cleans great classic rock tones and great brutal metal tones. I can spend up to £1300 but would rather keep it lower. Im torn between the blackmore, powerball and invader.
I havn't tried Engl first hand ()
But I think from what I've heard on here that you're looking for the Powerball, or the Blackmore if you're willing to sacrifice cleans a little?

Wait 'till Dave gets here- he knows his stuff about Engls
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I like the Blackmore from clips I've heard, Powerball sounds too compressed for my liking. Haven't heard the Invader though.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Powerball is what you want for brutal metal tones and versatility. Blackmore is more of an 80s metal amp, or so I hear.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Blackmore, better cleans and crunch than the Powerball, and the high gain is more natural and not as compressed, don't know if you would like that or not, but it's a plus for me.
i have a powerball and ive never looked back, they are friggin awesome. Everything i could ask for apart from the footswitch isnt provided, what a con!
Quote by El Codyo
Blackmore, better cleans and crunch than the Powerball, and the high gain is more natural and not as compressed, don't know if you would like that or not, but it's a plus for me.

yeah probably is it okay with classic rock because i know the powerball wasnt when i tried it.
Does anyone know if you can do a bias mod on engls?. they are a bit too bright for me.
you can mod engls for that yes, or use a darker speaker?

i loved the powerball, great highgain, clean and lead tones..great amp.

TBH, the "classic rock" tone it cant seem to do is not one i seek from an amp..me from a tubescreamer type pedal into the clean channel with humbuckers.
Screamer are pretty sweet.

Its worth trying an Invader, or even a SE if you can find one.

Anyway

*waits for dave*
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by mesa5150
yeah probably is it okay with classic rock because i know the powerball wasnt when i tried it.

It's fine at classic rock. I mean if I was going to just play classic rock then I wouldn't get an ENGL, but it is nowhere near sub-par.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWtWp8fKz_4">Here is a video showing some lower gain tones.
Quote by godofshred
you can mod engls for that yes, or use a darker speaker?

i loved the powerball, great highgain, clean and lead tones..great amp.

TBH, the "classic rock" tone it cant seem to do is not one i seek from an amp..me from a tubescreamer type pedal into the clean channel with humbuckers.

hmm i guess i am looking for a marshall tone unfortunately and my dsl is getting sold because it sucks. ido marhshall make any pedals for the marshall sound?
Quote by mesa5150
hmm i guess i am looking for a marshall tone unfortunately and my dsl is getting sold because it sucks. ido marhshall make any pedals for the marshall sound?

Yes but the only thing that will truly sound like a marshall is a marshall.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Yes but the only thing that will truly sound like a marshall is a marshall.

Orange Rocker?
OCD Fulltone?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Yngwi3
Orange Rocker?
OCD Fulltone?

i dont want 2 amps. pain in the ass and the wallet
orange rockerverb 50 + orange 2x12 if you want the marshall sound and then some
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Yngwi3
Orange Rocker?
OCD Fulltone?

I said marshall, not better than marshall
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
you said you wanted marshall tone so why are you ruling out orange? sheesh
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
you said you wanted marshall tone so why are you ruling out orange? sheesh

you need to read all the posts which have been submitted then you will work that one out.
just re-read. and i see nothing other than no real reason for wanting nothing but ENGL. but if you must go engl then i say the blackmore for vintage, the powerball for modern.

each can do both very well so really you should go for whichever you play most.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
just re-read. and i see nothing other than no real reason for wanting nothing but ENGL. but if you must go engl then i say the blackmore for vintage, the powerball for modern.

each can do both very well so really you should go for whichever you play most.

the previous posts explained i only wanted one amp which could do classic rock to brutal metal.

i play all equally because i teach rock and play metal. wheres they dave dude>
blackmore. or invader/savage, though i haven't tried those (i have the savage se, but by all accounts it's a little "smoother" than the savage).

also look into other brands of amp. koch, framus, cornford, soldano etc. would also be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
he's online. surprised he hasn't shown his mug here yet, as i've yet to see an ENGL thread without him.

anyway i never say anything about "brutal" metal but i would go for the powerball in that case.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
haha beat you to it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
he's online. surprised he hasn't shown his mug here yet, as i've yet to see an ENGL thread without him.

anyway i never say anything about "brutal" metal but i would go for the powerball in that case.

jesus mate you are irish not british right?. few porkpies short of a picnic no offense!
northern irish... worse than irish
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Dave_Mc
blackmore. or invader/savage, though i haven't tried those (i have the savage se, but by all accounts it's a little "smoother" than the savage).

also look into other brands of amp. koch, framus, cornford, soldano etc. would also be worth a look.

Cornford MK and Hellcat way to bright voiced not enough for brutal metal as well, koch never tried, framus poss, soldano is my dream but not for 2k

I think i prefer the blackmore to the powerball but it doesnt sound like it has such a defined low end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyA_vwYixyU

palm muting sounds crap here. i realise its Utube tho.
Last edited by mesa5150 at Sep 11, 2007,
Quote by mesa5150
jesus mate you are irish not british right?. few porkpies short of a picnic no offense!

wtf?

possibly not enough br00talz for modern metal with cornfords... not too sure what you mean about the "bright" voiced, the ones i've tried sounded pretty thick and woody ( ), which is what I liked about them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Swrayd4iE&mode=related&search=

oh yeah, to answer your question, the powerball has more gain and is more voiced for t3h br00talz; however, i know of at least several people who prefer the blackmore, even for metal. and it'll do the less metal tones a lot better than the powerball (IMO).

you'd need to try them if at all possible, basically.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm...in that video I preferred the Blackmore- notes more defined and less compressed
(which is weird because normally i like compression...)
The powerball sounds quite scooped...no?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

yep, the blackmore is very open-sounding. i haven't tried one head to head with a powerball, but compared to the fireball (which is admittedly different-sounding), the blackmore is a lot more open-sounding. EDIT: yeah the powerball is quite scooped too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Swrayd4iE&mode=related&search=

oh yeah, to answer your question, the powerball has more gain and is more voiced for t3h br00talz; however, i know of at least several people who prefer the blackmore, even for metal. and it'll do the less metal tones a lot better than the powerball (IMO).

you'd need to try them if at all possible, basically.

not possible

i might get a laney vh100. cheaper and probably more versatile.

but may not have the grind your granny in a saltshaker and worship satan deth tonz.
Quote by Ibanez20th
Dave this kid requires a brootalz tonez. Just tell him to get a metal zone.

Peavey: Windsor

Ashdown: Electric Blue 180

Ibanez: RG 550MXXDY

...: Concert Piano

...: Electric Organ

Ibanez: modded to 311 specs.

Fender: MIA Bulletbass

ibanez: Dm1000 rack delay

Vox: AD50

Epiphone: Les paul (before they used alder)

uknown: Made In Spain Classical

aint gonna take gear advice from you with this terrible list. Also i am over 21 so maybe older than you kid.
Last edited by mesa5150 at Sep 11, 2007,
I certainly wouldn't call that a terrible list. And since i'm going to go to a college thats in the top 40 of the nation most of my money is going there.

edit: And the metal zone was a joke. Mainly set off by your need for a brutalz tone and your grandmother saltshaker/satan worshipping comment.
Quote by Ibanez20th
I certainly wouldn't call that a terrible list. And since i'm going to go to a college thats in the top 40 of the nation most of my money is going there.

edit: And the metal zone was a joke. Mainly set off by your need for a brutalz tone and your grandmother saltshaker/satan worshipping comment.

fair dos..you could buy much better gear for the same price tho. live and learn.
well a lot I got for cheaper than regular price. Nothing imo was a poor purchase other than the epiphone. But i'm selling that for the same price as I got it anyways.
Quote by Ibanez20th
well a lot I got for cheaper than regular price. Nothing imo was a poor purchase other than the epiphone. But i'm selling that for the same price as I got it anyways.

im talking about the crap you bought not its price.
Page 1 of 2