Im really wanting to get one of these amps, but ive got concerns. see, I play in my bedroom atm and cant have the amp turned up too loud. someone I know has the combo version of the 6505 and has told me it sounds fine at bedroom volume levels, but im wanting to get the head, not combo, and the head is 120 watts , while the combo is only 60. im assuming the head wont be the same as the combo and im thinking its gonna be too powerful for bedroom playing. so my questions,

1. would the head version be ok to use at bedroom volumes?
2. if not, could i convert it somehow to be 60 watts instead of 120? (i heard someone did this to their 6505 head)
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
First of all, why do you need the head? There's NO WAY you need 120 watts.

Either way though, it should sound decent enough. I play mine regularly at .5/1 and it sounds fine, most of the gain comes from the preamp anway.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
First of all, why do you need the head? There's NO WAY you need 120 watts.

Either way though, it should sound decent enough. I play mine regularly at .5/1 and it sounds fine, most of the gain comes from the preamp anway.

i dont have room for a combo, atm i have a randall warhead combo, but im running a randall rg100es head through its speakers. soon im planning on selling the warhead and buying a 4x12 cab. so a combo is out of the question as i dont have enough room for one
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
unless u are going to be using the 6505 for gigs too, i dont see why u would need to get the 120 watt head.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
if your getting the head, get an attentuator. then you can get the cranked tone at any volume
Quote by GuitarsRock41
you dont have room for a combo, but youre getting halfstack?
right...

i cant have a halfstack and a 6505 combo duh...
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by Sirwinston89
if your getting the head, get an attentuator. then you can get the cranked tone at any volume

i heard they dont work well with hi gain amps?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish
i heard they dont work well with hi gain amps?

I heard that it doesn't work well with the 6505 specifically. All the gain comes from the preamp so there is no need to use an attenuator. I keep my 5150 II at 1.5 at it sounds great.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
Quote by KaMiKaZi90
I heard that it doesn't work well with the 6505 specifically. All the gain comes from the preamp so there is no need to use an attenuator. I keep my 5150 II at 1.5 at it sounds great.

so are you saying even with it turned down low it will still sound good? also even if it didnt could i just use an overdrive pedal to up the gain a bit?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by GuitarsRock41
you dont have room for a combo, but youre getting halfstack?
right...

My thoughts exactly, there's no point in getting a halfstack, even if you're gigging, as someone else said, the combo is PLENTLY loud enough for gigs.

Quote by serbusfish
i cant have a halfstack and a 6505 combo duh...

Yeah cause it makes a lot of sense to buy a halfstack, and spend more than what you would on the combo, when you'll never turn the head up past 4.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
u wont need to up the gain on a 5150 LOL. dont get a combo, this is from an experienced person. a combo ways a crap load and a head doesnt. plus a combo will sound all flubby and stuff for metal, a sealed cabinet will sound much better.

and not to sound gay but, stacks just look badass hahaha
Well Enough Alone
Quote by guitardude11
u wont need to up the gain on a 5150 LOL. dont get a combo, this is from an experienced person. a combo ways a crap load and a head doesnt. plus a combo will sound all flubby and stuff for metal, a sealed cabinet will sound much better.

and not to sound gay but, stacks just look badass hahaha

I disagree with that 100%. I actually much prefer the sound of my 5150 over the head versions. It doesn't sound as harsh, it's more natural sounding.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
My thoughts exactly, there's no point in getting a halfstack, even if you're gigging, as someone else said, the combo is PLENTLY loud enough for gigs

Yeah cause it makes a lot of sense to buy a halfstack, and spend more than what you would on the combo, when you'll never turn the head up past 4.

god i thought i made it pretty clear...

I already have a Randall RG100ES head. if I bought a combo 6505 how am I supposed to use it??? i need a 4x12 cab so I can use both my current Randall and the 6505 when i get it
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish
god i thought i made it pretty clear...

I already have a Randall RG100ES head. if I bought a combo 6505 how am I supposed to use it??? i need a 4x12 cab so I can use both my current Randall and the 6505 when i get it

Sell it and not have to buy a 4x12?

If you're planning on A/B switching it, for some reason, you'd need 2 4x12s hooked up to each one, unless you want to buy the switch that switches between cabs, which is quite pricey. Otherwise, I don't really see why you'd need 2 heads if you're going to plug one in and then when you don't want to play that one, unplug it and plug the other one in. But hey, that's not my business I guess.

Either way though, the 6505 should sound good at bedroom levels.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I disagree with that 100%. I actually much prefer the sound of my 5150 over the head versions. It doesn't sound as harsh, it's more natural sounding.

um okay. it all depends on the cab and speakers. it's all preference, but 4 12's are much more suited to metal imo. its more "brutal" believe it or not my friend.
Well Enough Alone
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sell it and not have to buy a 4x12?

If you're planning on A/B switching it, for some reason, you'd need 2 4x12s hooked up to each one, unless you want to buy the switch that switches between cabs, which is quite pricey. Otherwise, I don't really see why you'd need 2 heads if you're going to plug one in and then when you don't want to play that one, unplug it and plug the other one in. But hey, that's not my business I guess.

Either way though, the 6505 should sound good at bedroom levels.

nah i will just be using one at one time, then unplugging it and using the other. the randall sounds completely different to the 6505 as its solid state, i have this head for raw chainsaw distortion (ala dimebag tone) but i want a seperate head for stuff like in flames, machine head, BFMV etc kinda tone
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish
nah i will just be using one at one time, then unplugging it and using the other. the randall sounds completely different to the 6505 as its solid state, i have this head for raw chainsaw distortion (ala dimebag tone) but i want a seperate head for stuff like in flames, machine head, BFMV etc kinda tone

Then the head should work fine I guess.

Quote by guitardude11
um okay. it all depends on the cab and speakers. it's all preference, but 4 12's are much more suited to metal imo. its more "brutal" believe it or not my friend.

I own a 4x12 and the amp sounds just as "brutal" without it being plugged into it. My combo also sounds better plugged into the 4x12 than the head does and yes, I've tried the head into it before.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
the 6505 is over inflated in the UK you would be better off getting an Engl Fireball or Blackmore, or a Laney VH100 for around the same cash.
out of the box, the 6505 combo is actually biased warmer than the standard head, which is cold biased. So naturally,the combo sounds better. Also, the combo has a reverb effect, which i always turn to full anyway; the effect is subtle, but its there. Kinda makes the cleans much better, in conjunction with the warmer bias.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers