Just wondering if there will be a quality difference if it comes from Japan rather than the US. Is A Fender Hot Red Jaguar, and i would like to get it, but my parents are freaking out that its made in japan. I could care less where its made, i just would wanna know if theres a quality difference.
This statement is false.
Well, as far as I know, Japan is a quality manufacturer of instruments and merchandise in general. I don't see why your parents would freak out - almost everything you buy is made in SE Asia anyway.

I'm also pretty sure that most reputable instrument companies do not exploit their workers in sweatshops, but don't quote me on that.
They dont make a US fender jag i thought?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

As far as i know the only real difference between American and Jap/Mex is the quality out of the box. I hear that the only big difference is price range is the labor spent to have somthing made in American and only a little better out of the box quality. Go the Jap one, and as dumb as that is were using a racial term.
Japanese production now is nothing like the Japanese production of your parents' day. Sure, 15 years ago, Japan was Fender's Mexico, but now, they're their second-tier manufacturer (where US is first, Korea is 3rd, and Mexico is 4th). You're getting a quality instrument. I'd say it's rival to US-made instruments, but I can't think of any Fenders that are made in both US and Japan (where there are plenty in both US and Mexico).

From what I believe, Fender saves cash producing in Japan not because of cheaper labour, but because their machines are set up for certain types of instruments. This may sound crazy, but there are no Japanese made basses without glossy necks. There are no poly-coated American Fenders without satin necks (except for some vintage-correct reissues/artist axes). Therefore, it would make more sense for them to produce the Jag as they had it designed in Japan. I think the reason US instruments are better than Japanese ones is because the models themselves are better in America. Good-but-not-top-of-the-line-reissue-type basses are made in Japan, good-value-for-the-money-modern basses are made in Korea, and good-till-you-can-afford-a-US-Fender basses are made in Mexico.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
actually, when you condense the word japanese its jpn not jap

but hey what the hell, buy it anyway lots of good **** comes out of japan these days
Instead of an extensive edit, I'll add something in this post having to do with necks and duplicate instruments.

MIA Fenders:
American Series - Satin necks

American Deluxe Series - Satin necks

American Vintage Series - Glossy NITRO finished neck, except on the '75 reissue, which is period correct glossy poly

Certain Artist Series Models - Period correct axes, like the MIA Marcus Miller V, have glossy necks. Modern signatures, like the Urge and Victor Bailey, have satin necks. Jaco and Tony Franklins have nitro finishes.

MIJ Fenders:
Classic Series - glossy necks
Jag/Mustang - glossy necks
Certain Artist Series Models - like the Marcus Miller, Sting and Geddy Lee... GLOSSY NECKS!

Therefore, unless Fender is being period-correct/using Nitro, US made instruments have satin necks, and JP ones have glossy necks. Notice that the Classic Series isn't a budget version of the American Vintage Series; the Classic series basses are of eras instead of specific years (save for the '51, which is NOT available as American Vintage). The MIJ Artist models that are MIJ tend to be simpler than MIA ones (like the Victor Bailey, Urge, Jaco, etc). The closest thing to a 'redundant' bass is the 4/5 string Marcus Miller axes, but the 5-string is quite different. Also, the Jag and Mustang basses are a bit less 'mainstream' than say, a Jazz or a Precision. Therefore, MIJ instruments are simply different and are not of lesser quality.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Sep 10, 2007,
although this thread has turned into MIJ vs MIA thread. i believe the original question was about the
Jaguar Bass. the Jag is a fine bass, but not offered in a MIA version. that was my only point. now, carry on!
Next time i'm in japan i'm picking one up in white with the tortoiseshell pickguard, and that will be my only fender.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
although this thread has turned into MIJ vs MIA thread. i believe the original question was about the
Jaguar Bass. the Jag is a fine bass, but not offered in a MIA version. that was my only point. now, carry on!

I was just trying to outline 'why' Fender makes the Jag in Japan, and why his parents shouldn't freak out over MIJ instruments.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I was just trying to outline 'why' Fender makes the Jag in Japan, and why his parents shouldn't freak out over MIJ instruments.

Just as an aside I predict in the future that Made in Korea will mean as much to our children as Made in Japan means to us. A lot of respectable bass companies have started production in Korea. These include Phil Jones Bass and Lakland's Skyline range. Neither of which are lacking in QC. If this is any guide, then I believe the Made in Korea brand will become as prestigious as the Japanese branding in perhaps 15 years.

But thefitz is right, there is no need to freak over "Made in Japan". Japanese made equipment including early 80's Boss pedals and late 80's Fenders fetch a premium price. Last year, Fender Japan announced a 10% increase on its prices. And we're just talking instruments here, let alone cars, etc. Japan's manufacturing is definately one of the world's best in terms of quality goods, competing with the States and Germany.

Also one more thing... In the mid 90's FMIC ordered Fender Japan to stop offically exporting its products outside Japan for fear of competing with US instruments. I think that point sums up the quality of Fender Japan instruments.
With only one exception (a dlx am P), all the best Fenders that I've played have been made in Japan.
I would say Japan Jaguar. I believe it's supposed to have better tone. But i'm not really sure myself. I do not own either. However, i was thinking about buying one. I heard it has a very jazzy tone. But that's not the point. I would say Japan.
shut_up_you_**** has a good point about the non-export MIJ. They have a lot of pieces that would fetch a lot of attention here, like Aerodyne basses in CAR and Vintage White with black pickguards. They also have very different colour combinations and are fans of the 50's and 60's surf colours.

But, like videogames, there are some 'strange' pieces they make that might not go over in the US, like reissues with basswood bodies but top-of-the-line electronics at decent prices.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Thank you all...and im sorry if i offended anyone when i used Jap...i dont mean that in a bad way...
This statement is false.
Quote by Jack Dony
Thank you all...and im sorry if i offended anyone when i used Jap...i dont mean that in a bad way...

Don't worry about it. It's all semantics anyway. You didn't mean anything by it and if someone gets offended because the word has a negative meaning in a totally unrelated context, that's crazy. You could have called it a nazi and it wouldn't matter as long as we knew what you meant.

/rant
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Just as an aside I predict in the future that Made in Korea will mean as much to our children as Made in Japan means to us. A lot of respectable bass companies have started production in Korea. These include Phil Jones Bass and Lakland's Skyline range. Neither of which are lacking in QC. If this is any guide, then I believe the Made in Korea brand will become as prestigious as the Japanese branding in perhaps 15 years.

But thefitz is right, there is no need to freak over "Made in Japan". Japanese made equipment including early 80's Boss pedals and late 80's Fenders fetch a premium price. Last year, Fender Japan announced a 10% increase on its prices. And we're just talking instruments here, let alone cars, etc. Japan's manufacturing is definately one of the world's best in terms of quality goods, competing with the States and Germany.

Also one more thing... In the mid 90's FMIC ordered Fender Japan to stop offically exporting its products outside Japan for fear of competing with US instruments. I think that point sums up the quality of Fender Japan instruments.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
I'm a proud owner of
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Buzz Saw sig w/ EMG 81/85
Squire crap
Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass
ESP/LTD TA-600 Tom Araya sig bass
Vox AD30VT
Fender Bassman 100
Line6 POD X3
Boss ME-50
not to hijack the thread but... Just out of curiosity i saw a white fender jag with a black pickguard, made in japan on ebay. On fenders site they say they only come in black and red. can someone please explain how this happens
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Yeah, one time that I saw a thread about JPN Fender basses a saw a 62 Jazz bass JUST like the one our beloved Jaco used to use (not the relic), it was fretted and it didn't cost you your right testicle and I wondered why Fender Japan didn't send them But I guess I understand now.
Quote by bazz_aaron
not to hijack the thread but... Just out of curiosity i saw a white fender jag with a black pickguard, made in japan on ebay. On fenders site they say they only come in black and red. can someone please explain how this happens

Someone changed it?
Quote by thefitz
shut_up_you_**** has a good point about the non-export MIJ. They have a lot of pieces that would fetch a lot of attention here, like Aerodyne basses in CAR and Vintage White with black pickguards. They also have very different colour combinations and are fans of the 50's and 60's surf colours.

But, like videogames, there are some 'strange' pieces they make that might not go over in the US, like reissues with basswood bodies but top-of-the-line electronics at decent prices.

I don't know about the US, but here in the UK - and I know in other European countries too - we can import those kinds of normally 'restricted' things pretty easily for just a minimal import charge. As far as I'm aware, anyone in any country and import like this - it's just that a store can't buy in a job lot. Private importing though is no issue as far as I know.
Quote by bokuho
I don't know about the US, but here in the UK - and I know in other European countries too - we can import those kinds of normally 'restricted' things pretty easily for just a minimal import charge. As far as I'm aware, anyone in any country and import like this - it's just that a store can't buy in a job lot. Private importing though is no issue as far as I know.

Yeah. You can buy MIJ non-export models off ebay with little hassle, too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by bazz_aaron

You can only get the black and red versions in the US, I believe in Japan the Jag bass is available in white and a type of sunburst, but don't quote me on that. That's the only explanation I can think of.

And to the TS: I recently got a Jag bass, and it's absolutely wonderful; bring your parents to your local music store and show them yourself. It's a high quality instrument.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...