well, uh, I guess this is the right place for this to go....

Basically, I was fooling around with my acoustic tonight, and the thought of having the thing converted into an acoustic-electric occured to me. I figure it'd be nice, having the option of extra volume. Issue being, this doesn't seem easy to do on my own.

Basically, could anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial of sorts, just to see if I'm up to doing it? Or, if anyone would explain to me how to go about doing it?

Now, the other thought I had was a bit more adventurous.

What would happen if I were to add an electric guitar pickup to my acoustic? Would that damage the acoustic sound too badly? What kind of sound would I end up getting out of the pickup? How bad of a feedback would I get from the guitar? I'd probably need to get a luthier to do it, right?

My guitar is a Yamaha FG-75, made in Japan, not sure how old it is. (I'm hesitant on making any changes to it because of that) I've provided some pics below. Pardon the JPEG compression.

Of course, if you guys aren't fans of either concept, I'm perfectly fine with leaving it as is. It's a lovely acoustic.
There's decent acoustic pups that basically slide into the strap button hole, otherwise theres good piezos that are put in on the inside of the sound cavity. Just a normal electric guitar pickup will sound like crap. You can always just mic the guitar too if you need more volume.
You can just mount a pickup to one of those soundhole plugs.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by OneRust
There's decent acoustic pups that basically slide into the strap button hole, otherwise theres good piezos that are put in on the inside of the sound cavity. Just a normal electric guitar pickup will sound like crap. You can always just mic the guitar too if you need more volume.

So then, I assume the full hollowbody electrics were built differently?

Yeah, I'll look around for some acoustic-electric pickups, I suppose. think I'd still need a professional to install it?
Well if you just put an electric guitar pickup on it, it will sound like an electric and not an acoustic. The piezos might need pro installation if youre not comfortable doing it but the button hole one i think you could do yourself.
Quote by OneRust
Well if you just put an electric guitar pickup on it, it will sound like an electric and not an acoustic. The piezos might need pro installation if youre not comfortable doing it but the button hole one i think you could do yourself.

Actually, an normal electric guitar pickup wouldn't work quite right. Acoustic strings are often phosphor bronze wrapped around a steel core.

Electric guitar strings are usually nickel or nickel plated steel wrapped around a steel core. These metals are attracted to magnets. That's how it works.
You sir, are correct ^ strings are normally made diffrent. Though I don't know much about how acoustic works. I just know the strings are made diffrent, and an acoustic can be used to devolop good habits.
How much will it likely cost for decent acoustic pickups?

And how would the sound compare to a "bought" electric-acoustic? (if you get my drift...)

I'm pretty skint but need a new acoustic for gigging - I've found a decent one on the cheap, and was thinking about installing some pickups and... hey presto - electric-acoustic!

cheers.
"Scratch my name on your arm with a fountain pen - this means, you really love me" - Morrissey, 1985
about 2 weeks ago I cut a plastic piece to fit over the soundhole of my old yamaha acoustic, and I mounted an electric guitar pickup in it, It sound pretty good actually, but your idea is that new, people used to do it all the time after guitar pickups were invented.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
bump (sorry guys...)
"Scratch my name on your arm with a fountain pen - this means, you really love me" - Morrissey, 1985
Try this question in the acoustic forum...I know the guys there will have some good answer for you.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.