to write a whole song
lyrics and all?
On this last beat,

my heart will freeze.

we'll end in harmony.

Quote by Thornography
I usually get lost after 3 words... maybe it happens to others.
Quote by demoniacfashion
my record is 26 seconds.

I don't write songs, so I can't tell you.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I don't write whole songs. I can't play bass or drums (very well).

I usually don't record anything I write either. Why you ask?

1. It's not amazing enough to take time and record it.
2. I have poor recording equipment.
3. Too many thieves in the world, I myself included.

Sounds dumb, but I'd rather not hear my ideas on someone else's CD.
It depends. I've written whole songs (usually instrumentals) in a few hours. Sometimes I come up with an idea that could work on it's own, but I keep adding to it over the course of a month or so. There is no set amount of time I can write in.
id let you know if i was able to write songs... all my friends can but i cant... i dont know y i cant get anything going
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
I've done them on the spot about people and then not remembered them later, so 0 seconds if that counts. Sometimes they are recorded, but I try to avoid bootleggers doing such things.
I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger......a man on the move and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Quote by Hexagram
Oh and Zeke, i find you to be over-rated
I don't write songs, but it can take me quite a while to finish a work. I've been working on a guitar sonata for about a month. I am satisfied with the first movement, I might make some changes to the second, and I am still working on the third and most difficult of the movements. Nonetheless I finished the first movement in somewhere around 3 days.

I am also working on a piece which was inspired by Thelonious Monk's "Ask Me Now", and although I am writing it for Classical guitar, I am trying to give it the atmosphere of a Jazz piece.
Well for lyrics if I get inspired I can write a good song or poem in 10 minutes thats about 20-40 lines long. The Music takes longer for me because it is hard for me to write music for songs so that can take hours.
Lyrically, it depends. If I've been thinking of the song for a while and all I'm doing is writing it down on paper, about 5 - 10 minutes. If its coming to me as I go, around an hour.

Writing music is where I'm weak. It takes weeks usually.
Quote by Thornography

+1
and sigged
On this last beat,

my heart will freeze.

we'll end in harmony.

Quote by Thornography
Depends on how complicated it is. If I'm writing something progressive, it could takes months, if it's hardcore/metalcore, maybe a few days.

By the way, I was talking about writing everything but lyrics...
Quote by The Madcap
I am also working on a piece which was inspired by Thelonious Monk's "Ask Me Now", and although I am writing it for Classical guitar, I am trying to give it the atmosphere of a Jazz piece.

That sounds very neat.
As for me, songs usually take a day or two

Music is usually anywhere from a day to a month (maybe longer.) Lyrics anywhere from a day to a week (or longer.)
--
...and the world sighed in relief