I have an Epi Les Paul, and Vox 100w.

is it possible to get the sound of The guitar in Can't Stop, by RHCP?

Fender American Deluxe Strat is on the way, would that be better?
Gibson Zoot Suit in Rainbow
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000

Where are the ladies, man?
Quote by frigginjerk
strat, middle pickup, and i think john has his pickups modded somehow too.

i dont think he uses the middle pickup, and his pickups are vintage (reverse wound)

and he strums the riff with the rest of the strings muted, thats what gives it the thick sound
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
I sort of get a similiar sound on my First Act on the neck pickup which is sunk really low into the body, and it is a little twangy... The combination of low output single coils+ sunk low into the body could possibly bring you that sound.
Its in his hands. He strums all of the strings (more or less) and palm mutes everything but the one note at a time you're hearing. Its a decently heavy and natural attack, thats how you get that sound. Plus the strat style and low to mid (probably mid) pickup's activated helps announce the sound.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
My best advice like some of the guys said is to mute the strings and go to town on your guitar. Pound away at those strings while muting them!!!
Strat or Tele bridge pickup, some power amp OD, mute the strings like the others said.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Strat or Tele bridge pickup, some power amp OD, mute the strings like the others said.
+1

Push the amp to the point where it's starting to break up when you play hard double-stops or chords. Then you strum hard, mute and sorta rake. It's a very different tone to playing it regularly - it just doesn't sound 'right'.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
well yeah like others said. use the bridge pickup.. treble 8, mid 3, bass 5 ... most important thing is that strum it tho.. if u pick the notes individually it won't sound anything like it good luck!
Guitars:

Fender Mexican HSS Strat (Sunburst, Maple Neck)
- /w custom handwound John Mayer pickups - thx cord!

Amp:
Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 Combo (practice amp)
Fender '73 Twin Reverb (main amp)

boss bd-2 (keeley modded)
Last edited by samstah at Sep 11, 2007,
Quote by TheDev01dOne
I thought he used his Tele for Can't Stop? (Don't kill me I'm not a fr00sh worshipper)

He does live, but we can't be sure about the studio.

Also I rememver making this exact thread awhile ago. Good times.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.