Page 1 of 2
Edit: Already bought the guitar It was 1200 dollars finally

http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1000529rk6.jpg

Here is my story

I had been playing for more than 5-6 years now; and i have one sucky Washburn (the first guitar that i bought, in fact is taken to pieces right now.
And an espectacular Ibanez electroacustic that i will never change in my life.

After two years practising on my electroacustic, and friends loan me guitars on gigs i decided to buy a new guitar (and also amplifier, but that is not the thing right now)

I mainly play 70's music, a lot of hendrix, the doors, some genesis, pink floyd, the who, etc...
But i also had a band of punk rock music, and of 80's music, so i don't want to go too specific with my guitar

Also still i have played arround 5-6 years, I don't know too much of guitar specifiactions
(woods, pickups etc...)

The thing is i'm going to the US in two days (i live in chile very far away) and i was told that guitars were cheaper, and more models and colors

So I need some ideas of models to try when i will be there (also tomorrow i'm going to the music place of here, to start testing)

I need your help UGers!
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by Diamond Dave
sounds like you need a strat, maybe a HSS

yep, maybe a highway 1 hss? or a mexi hss and use the extra cash on goodies like new pickups.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
a nice american strat will do you some good
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
An American Strat is probably the most versatile guitar you could get, but if you might try what I'm doing and get a $599 Ibanez S520EX and put in whatever pickups will suit your style best.

I'm ordering that guitar and pickups for both bridge and neck this Friday for a total of $754.97
I have to go out now, but i will be very interested in this thread ! keep them coming!

And yes, a friend has an american stratocaster, and it rocks, it's one big option, i can't investigate the other one you said right now

keep them coming!

EDIT:

ohh and one last thing, 800$ is a lot for me, so this is going to be a guitar for at least 5-6 years more! it's a very important one
(like the electroacustic that cost me arround 500 that i really love)
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Sep 10, 2007,
a schecter c-1 Classic

i think its like $600
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
he needs humbuckers, Single coils can't replace that fact.

Do you want a Whammy bar? If you do, get an original Floyd rose, unless your ibanez stays in tune.

Maybe you can get a used guitar for 800, it'll be really good.

DON'T get a schecter. in time you'll see how bad they are.

Don't, whatever you do, don't get epiphones or schecters. corts are bad too.

Get either

Stratocaster
Jackson (some have a humbucker for a bridge, and two single coils)
BC rich mocking bird
Quote by nan0
1) he needs humbuckers, Single coils can't replace that fact.

Do you want a Whammy bar? If you do, get an original Floyd rose, unless your ibanez stays in tune.

Maybe you can get a used guitar for 800, it'll be really good.

2) DON'T get a schecter. in time you'll see how bad they are.

3) Don't, whatever you do, don't get epiphones or schecters. corts are bad too.

Get either

Stratocaster
Jackson (some have a humbucker for a bridge, and two single coils)
4}BC rich mocking bird

1) No, he doesn't. It might be preferable, but a bunch of the bands he listed use single coils.

2) Schecters are some of the best values on the market.

3) All three brands are just fine.

4) A Mockingbird for a bunch of classic rock and punk? No.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
1. If he wants to be versatile, he needs hum buckers, but since you can combine with the strat, I guess that's a good choice.

2. that isn't true. Gibson, Jackson, Fender, Carvin, Ibanez, BC Rich, are all better brands fo sho.

3. what? cort is complete junk. I wouldn't give that to my enemy.

4. Wait, you're saying humbuckers don't matter for his music, junk brands are just fine, but the shape of the guitar matters?

He might love the shape, who cares if it doesn't fit the genre. I didn't know there was a rule book that says only certain guitars can be played for just for one genre.

Why does the shape matter? It doesn't, that should be his last concern unless he doesn't like it.

What are you two?
1.- He wants to play hendrix and you're saying single coils are a bad idea?

2.- In what way are those brand superior? If you compare a bc rich bronze warlock to a c-1 classic you think the bc rich will be better? Even if you compare even priced guitars, such as the mockinbird exotic and a c-1 classic (which btw, the classic is still cheaper), the classic just has better specs all around. Nato vs Mahogany?

If i compare Gibson to Schecter i would get a much much better value for the same money. Lets compare Shecters c-1 artist (an amazing value, can hardly be matched by any other company) to Gibsons Faded SG, both priced at 500$. The Schecter ****s on the sg so bad its pitifull, the Faded SG is IMO an extremely poor guitar for its pricepoint, i've tried out several and they all feel, sound and look like ****. The artist looks kind of ho hum but it just has all around great specs, real SDs, grovers, 5 way pickup switch...

Then we have Jackson which is IMO the second most overpriced brand in the market, right behind Gibson. For 750$ you get the DKMG dinky, which is not that bad really, 81/85 emg set and LFR. But for 800$ with Schecter you get the whole Shebang, c-1 Hellraiser OFR which of course has the EMGs and the OFR (duh), once the LFR on the jackson craps out you're gonna have to shell out some 200$ for some OFR.

Thats not to say these Brands are all bad, you can get very good, hi quality products from all those brands. Its just the fact that you have to dish out more cash when brands like Schecter and Washburn give you more bang for the same buck.

You would not play a cort custom shop? Its kind of like saying all Epiphones suck and you won't play an Elitist.
I'll step in for the TS and say please stop arguing over guitar opinions and stick to just suggesting what you think would suit him best.
do you have an amp? you'd definitely need an amp too... don't buy an $800 guitar and spend only $200 on an amp.

for $800, get a Fender MIM HSS Stratocaster, and a Crate Palomino V16.

if you have a GOOD amp (post it.), get a Fender Highway 1 HSS Stratocaster for it. use the neck and middle single coils for ur classic rock band needs like hendrix, pink floyd. use the humbucker for 80s rock and punk. it will work.

but be sure to spend at least $400 on an amp. tube amp. for ur band preferences, don't go solid state.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ok, i need to process all this information tomorrow, i just arrived of loosing the last hand on a poker table, that i almost won 50 dollars, the ****er had two Q's on the hand, and I had one card left to a flush on the flop...

So here we go with some facts.
NO floyd rose, i had a very bad time with those things (in fact my "begginer" guitar that i bought 6 years ago has one, and I hated)
Also, i forgot to put it on my first post, having a humbucker is very important, so if it's one without humbucker, it will be probably a Fender american stratocaster and maybe going up a bit on the budget.
To the guy that was asking if I have an amp, Im going to spend near 1500-2000$ on all my "upgrade", im tired of asking for things for gigs... That will include a nice amp, probably of tubes, not sure, but this i can buy it on my country, probably used.
For the guitars u have been saying, the "Fender Highway 1 HSS Stratocaster" really interest me.
The "schecter c-1 Classic" and "BC rich mocking bird" are out of the fight, i really don't like that look, and it's also important for me
The ibanez also was important, but i don't want floyd rose really.
Fender HSS American Strat + Orange Rocker 30. the end.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the last one blowed my mind!! but it's kinda above of the budject on internet says 1200$

edit: in fact, says a lot more!
^then get highway one. HSS Stratocaster. very playable, good pickups, unique loveable finish, what can i say???

the orange is great too. it nails the vintage Marshall tone better than a marshall.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
This one blowed my mind

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN101500
On the Olimpic Pearl model
DO anyone knows the real price of this beauty in EEUU (specifically orlando?)
MAybe i would sell the laptop that i'm using to write (i fell in love)!
what's EEUU?

orlando is florida isn't it? lol...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'm sorry EEUU is for "Estados Unidos" that is on spanish, i was meaning Orlando Florida United States...
That's why i'm on a hurry, more models available there, and better prices
ohhhhhhhh yes yes yes. haha i got it.

i'd get a HSS Strat of somekind, but spend $400+ on it at least. nothing less than that tho. and an Orange Rocker 30, or a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo. IMO, Orange is better, but iono if a guitar store you go have them.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I don't know if you read the first message, and i will complete it a bit more
I'm going to a family trip to orlando (mainly disney), and i got this save money, I'm sure that I can get a good used amp here, but the guitars are very charged here (at least 200-300$more)
I'm getting the guitar, and only the guitar on US, i'm not going to go with an amp in the plane, or towards the whole trip...
Also, can someone explain me the main differences between the Deluxe and "normal" Hss strat? (well, the deluxe are reallllly ****ing good looking)
oh u can get a used amp. get a JCM800 for $500USD ish.

deluxe strat is well... deluxe. they're good looking, but they're not too different from standard ones. u can get the pickguard for like $10. gold hardware? who cares. i wouldn't spend so much money on looks. u can get it later for less cost.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'm going to the music "place" on thursday, let's hope there are at least one of this beauties
thx Ecisthe for ur contributions, and let's hope someone else keep posting, you are really helping thru a lot!

And last but not least, my signature is from 5 years ago (when i joined the page, a bit later than I got my first electric, kinda old on the page right?) that's why i don't change it, it's represents part of my past
^never asked about it but okay. haha. i guess im done. i posted enough.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
why not look at a low PRS
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
You could get an HSS Carvin Bolt; would kick an MIA strat in the nuts, *and* it's cheaper.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
A jaguar HH special is a very versatile guitar and the shorter scale makes it real easy to bend and fret. If you drop tune though, not the best choice.
Ok people, i will for sure looks to the stratocaster hss (deluxe and american standard) but I need some other models to try on the store if I don't like them, and also they are going above the budject (that will probably make me selling things to get the amp or something like that)

The PRS looks very nice, but are they really versatile enough? and I don't know the price neither.
Those "cheap" Ibanez NO, this is a guitar for my whole life, it needs more things for that.
HSS carvin bolt, very interesting, i would like to see more information
Jaguar HH no, and i really don't have any problems with bends, playing a jumbo electroacustic with very "tight" (sp?) strings had made mi fingers strong enough to anything

Keep them coming!
all guitars are versatile, depends on what pups you use. the stock PRS pick ups are very versatile but they can still do with an upgrade.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Upgrading in my country is not like going to the shop that is next to my house, and find all the pickups available on the market, i would probably not upgrade it at the beggining.
(that is why I need more guitars to look on US)
well as far as prs pick ups go. they're still pretty darn good
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
While your in the US, make sure you try as much guitars as possible in your budget so you know how they play. Even if you don't think it may suit you, just try it! That way, you know how they feel and can compare other guitars.

As for a good guitar, a Fender American Strat would suit you pretty well.
American PRS guitars are way beyond your budget. The Korean SE models are affordable, though. An American Strat is still a better option in my opinion.
Yep, all is going towards an american stratocaster, probably HSS, but i still have to play it, let's hope tomorrow it will be some of them in my guitar store
Quote by nan0
1. If he wants to be versatile, he needs hum buckers, but since you can combine with the strat, I guess that's a good choice.

2. that isn't true. Gibson, Jackson, Fender, Carvin, Ibanez, BC Rich, are all better brands fo sho.

3. what? cort is complete junk. I wouldn't give that to my enemy.

4. Wait, you're saying humbuckers don't matter for his music, junk brands are just fine, but the shape of the guitar matters?

He might love the shape, who cares if it doesn't fit the genre. I didn't know there was a rule book that says only certain guitars can be played for just for one genre.

Why does the shape matter? It doesn't, that should be his last concern unless he doesn't like it.

What are you two?

1. He listed a lot of bands that he covers and wants to sound like. Interestingly enough, a bunch of them use single coils, Strats in particular.

2. I said "value." They're great guitars at a decently low price.

3. Cort's aren't the best, but they aren't horrible. And good job ignoring the other two that you posted in the first place.

4. Don't put words in my mouth, you little shit. I never said anything about the shape. Stop twisting words. A Mockingbird to play The Who? How dare you insult my judgment.

Don't talk down to me, you sniveling little brat.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Page 1 of 2