So a little background first...

my band is influenced by Zeppelin, and one day at practice we played Rock and Roll and we decided to incorporate it into our live set. So two weeks ago we played it at a show with me on guitar and when i watched the recorded video the solo sounded quite good. I just messed around on the blues scale in the key of A and it sounded really good.

Well we had a show 3 days ago, and when i saw the video of it, the solo sounded 100% DISGUSTING. If i could delete any memory of that song from that night i would.

now the question is, to avoid this in the future, do i keep messing around my own solo and pray i get it right, or just learn Page's original solo? I feel the solo he recorded is his expression, and mine is mine. HOWEVER, if im gonna keep ****ing it up like i did at the last gig, somethings gotta change.

Advice? Comments? Similar situations? Please share, as im playing Chain Reaction in Anaheim (a big gig) in about 3 weeks. Thank you
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
just practice everybody has a bad night... maybe throw in a couple of licks from the original solo, sometimes i like to start and end the solo the same as the original just to give it a little familiarity.
I'm kinda new...my speed is perty week on solos and angus yound is my man, I learned tnt a long time ago adn dismissed it because I really wanted to play teh solo adn couldn't. Any help on it? Hafve you played it?
If that's irrelevant I'm, sorry, but I just gotta play this solo ( also this is teh first thread with solo in it :-)....it's my hero's...so I must...just must
Quote by Schmeg Junior
I'm kinda new...my speed is perty week on solos and angus yound is my man, I learned tnt a long time ago adn dismissed it because I really wanted to play teh solo adn couldn't. Any help on it? Hafve you played it?

i never learned TNT's solo, i just recently got good enough to start playing solos and jamming and stuff and ive been playing for about 4 years. all i can tell you is keep practicing it. take it in pieces and learn it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
If you want to express yourself but you also want to be prepared you can just write your own solo for it and practice it ahead of time. Solves both problems.
Arcadia? You know Harrison Shih? He used to be in the same district, until he transferred out.

But anyways, just stop sucking. Practice. If you can't play the original, write a slower version.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
I think the best and really only way to learn how to play a solo is by listening to the record and trying to repeat what he plays. Not only is this a good exercise for your ear, but it lets the solo become what it wants to be (solos are a personal thing) while still sounding enough like the original.

You hear a few notes on the recording, find the same notes on your guitar, and play them in a manner and rhythm similar to whats on the record. The solo, while still being Pages solo, feels more intimately connected to you if you know every note like a personal friend.