Hello all my fellow bass forum readers. I come to you for advice or general ideas.

Located within the great state of North Carolina lies a little county by the name of Moore. Within this county, they have some problems with the school system and a certain lack of organization with newly introduced programs. It is within this county that I take residence.

One of the such newly adopted programs is the "Senior Graduation Project". Now, this is a program that is designed to be reaching across all of the south eastern United States within a few years (so if you live in that area and will be a senior no sooner than 2010, you'll probably have to do it, too), and in fact, it was not supposed to be part of North Carolina's education system until the class of 2010 becomes seniors. However, my humble county of Moore has decided to make the class of 2008 the guinea pigs of this project. Well, the class of 2008 just so happens to be my class.

So, the basic idea of this is that a student is supposed to choose a topic of interest yet a topic that is still a learning strecth, do an in-depth project on it which would include a paper, a product, a portfolio, and a presentation. Is anyone else pissed off at the education system's insistence upon using alliteration?

Anyways, I decided to do my project on bass restoration. I look through pawn shops trying to find an old bass guitar in need of repair, restore/repair it, and possibly customize it if possible. My original idea was to build a guitar or bass, but that would wind up costing too much.

What I come to you guys for are any ideas or advice you have to offer on writing a research paper about this (i.e. what to focus on, etc.). The paper is not suppsoed to be a history thing or a how to thing, so I can't do anything about how to restore a bass or the history of an instrument. What I plan on doing is writing about the technical and mechanical side of the instrument, the function of each piece of the bass, why this works that way, etc. It shouldn't be too hard. But I want to know how you think you would approach it if you had to do something like this. Do you think there are any areas I should focus specifically on or anything like that?

Thank you for your help, and I'm sure I'll ask for it again when I actually start restoring the bass.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
I had to do Senior Project too (last semester actually)... That thing was the most pain in the ass of anything Ive ever done...

Anyways, what your doing it on should do just fine. I dont know why your not allowed to do history though. I was able to. Actually that was the main part of my paper... Do you have to have a mentor/expert thing to teach you about your topic? If so thats the only thing I could see you having trouble with (as in finding one).
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
First thing I'd do was moving this thread to the Gear Building & Customizing department. That's where the petrolheads among the guitarlovers are. Maybe not for the more general question you've asked right now, but after you've started working on your dissertation, for sure you will find the people there willing and able to answer any specific questions concerning the construction of- and the engineering principles behind guitars.
Success and Good luck.
(And don't forget to have fun)
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Sep 11, 2007,
I have to do one of those research paper thingys myself next year. I was thinking of 'the role of the bass in music through ages (mainly concentrating on modern music though)'. Sadly, we can't write about history too so I think I'll be making polls/interviews with a few famous Estonian bassists from different genres of music. Basically it's going to be a rant on how modern popular music sucks and root note pounding bassists are lame
Quote by silentdob
I had to do Senior Project too (last semester actually)... That thing was the most pain in the ass of anything Ive ever done...

Anyways, what your doing it on should do just fine. I dont know why your not allowed to do history though. I was able to. Actually that was the main part of my paper... Do you have to have a mentor/expert thing to teach you about your topic? If so thats the only thing I could see you having trouble with (as in finding one).

Yes. I was worried about the mentor thing at first (and it ruined a few of my ideas), but I got my old guitar tecaher to help me who is also the local music store owner.

And yeah... It is kind of a pain in the ass. They're trying to rush to get everything organized in the first two and a half weeks of school, and it just can't work that way.

Quote by Marcel Veltman
First thing I'd do was moving this thread to the Gear Building & Customizing department. That's where the petrolheads among the guitarlovers are. Maybe not for the more general question you've asked right now, but after you've started working on your dissertation, for sure you will find the people there willing and able to answer any specific questions concerning the construction of- and the engineering principles behind guitars.
Success and Good luck.
(And don't forget to have fun)

I probably will ask about it in there once I get to it. But for now I only have to do the paper and even though I have a good general idea for what I'm going to do, I figured I'd see if any of my fellow bassists had any input.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
I would approach it on what you did to a specific instrument - not a how to or a general purpose of what each part of the bass does. I might include both of those in mine, but I would focus on what you would do specifically.

If you know any luthiers, I would even try to BUILD your own bass. But that might be too costly...
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^ Yeah, like I said; building a guitar/bass was my orignial idea, but it would wind up being too expensive. (And I don't know any luthiers!)

And that's one way I could look at it possibly, but we're suppsoed to do the "paper" before the "product", which means I have to turn in a research paper before I actually start doing the work on the bass (which will be my product).

But I think I could do something like that... The process of it, or wahtever. Thanks.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
I made a video for our class, kind of like a video yearbook....showed some ofit to the school and talked about how I made it and answered questions. Then I spent all summer working on the rest of it, and right near the end of summer when I was done and was gonna burn the dvd's to give to all of the class, my harddrives failed and all my data is corrupted. I don't even have the last dvd that was produced, I gave it away to some teacher that wanted it, and I don't remember who.

Moral of the story: Don't ever do a senior project on anything that requires the use of harddrives.

My buddy took an old motorcycle and restored some of it, and he's still got the motorcycle. All my project is down the drains. I suck.
Quote by Geekis_Khan

And yeah... It is kind of a pain in the ass. They're trying to rush to get everything organized in the first two and a half weeks of school, and it just can't work that way.

Yeah I know what you mean.. They was actually still making up the rules as it was going on over here. They actually just made it slightly tougher this year. Instead of 5 pages minimum, I think now its 8. The presentation is slightly easier though. They raised it up to 15 minuts max I believe.

Oh, do you have to do a community service project related to your topic? If so good luck with finding one.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
^ No, I don't, thank God.

But I could always playa show for some senior citizens.

Haha...

But yeah, the paper is 1500 words, I believe, and about 10 minutes for the presentation. But I'm in Forensics, so speaking for a long time is relatively easy for me.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
wow the culmination of high school education in this country consists of 5-8 pages minimum and a 10-15 minute presentation.

At least your making the most of this BS and researching and working on something you enjoy. You'll have to post your paper on the building/modding forums when your done to share this all with us.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
wow the culmination of high school education in this country consists of 5-8 pages minimum and a 10-15 minute presentation.

At least your making the most of this BS and researching and working on something you enjoy. You'll have to post your paper on the building/modding forums when your done to share this all with us.

Yes... It pretty much does come down to that.

And yeah, I'll post the various pieces of my project for anyone who's interested.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
I'm doing that project right now. It' s a bunch of crap.

They say they do it so we can choose what to do our research paper on it. I'd GLADLY write a paper on English Literature opposed to doing that massive report.

Regardless, I'm doing my paper on my worship band.