Hola fellow UG'ers. I have a couple of questions. I want coil splits in my guitar. I'm getting an AC30 soon, and I would like to have a similar-to-single-coil sound available. Thing is, I have no idea what to do. Not even in the slightest. I have no tools whatsoever. So my question is, would it be cheaper to do if myself or have it done in a shop? I don't know what to do at all. Here are some pics i took of my guitar.

Now, I already PM'ed ECisthebest. He was a tremendous help (thanks man :cheers but I still have know idea what to do. What will I need to complete this job? I want to have splits in neck and bridge. I don't get all of this DPDT, SPDT, SPST, etc. stuff at all. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could MS paint what I have to do over my pics. I have looked at diagrams off SD.com, but I can't understand anything. I literally don't know **** when it comes to doing this stuff, but I'd really like to know for future reference and for other projects.

I really hope you guys can help me. Thanks for any advice.

Ben
Ben
Those pots don't look normal. Are they EMG's or something? (never seen what EMG's look like on the inside, sorry)
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
That is from the back of the guitar. I unscrewed the back plate of it. So you are looking at it as if the guitar is flipped over. It's a Yamaha SBG200 guitar, stock passive pups.
Ben
Chances are the pickups are just generic single conductor pickups with a hot and a ground wire, meaning you couldn't split it.
Coil tapping is more complicated, involves using less windings of the pickups which lowers the output, has nothing to do with split. You're pretty much shit out of luck unless I'm completely wrong about the pickups being splittable (tough to tell from those pics), but chances are they aren't.

Sorry
Well, that sucks. Ah well. This guitar is from 1984, my dad bought it as a kid. So, after I get my AC30 I'll probably save up for a Tele or something. Thanks for the help though. I'm going to bed. School tomorrow. Thanks again.
Ben
waht you can do is just buy completely new set of pickups and electronics and wire everything. thats what i'd do. it won't be easy, but worth it. i don't know what the PCB is, but i hate them in guitars. make it look like a computer, and computer means DIGITAL!!! and i hate digital effects. so yea. that's the best choice sound wise, putting the coil split switch urself is the cheapest solution, and making a tech do all the job is the costliest, but the cleanest job.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^The PCB looks like it's basically like normal wiring. Nothing special about it. Just probably easier to mass produce like that.

Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Chances are the pickups are just generic single conductor pickups with a hot and a ground wire, meaning you couldn't split it.

That's what I'm thinking.
I don't see anything that would lead me to believe it can be split.

And yeah, coil tapping is something that can really only be done with a pickup that has been made to have a coil tap.

S'okay, man. Coil splitting sucks, anyway. (I think so, at least..)

I wouldn't worry about it, though. I saw you wanted a Rickenbacker to go with your AC30...WHY? The AC30 is so bright, and a Tele or a Rickenbacker would be even brighter! You'll be fine with your current guitar, mang.
^he loves early 60s george harisson.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^yea.

if i want it bright, i'd get a Fender blackface and a rangemaster, telecaster or a rickenbacker with bridge single coils without a baseplate under the bridge pickup, 12-string or sumtin would work too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Weller used Ricks and AC30's
The Beatles used Ricks and AC30's.

I think it'll be a perfect combination. I'm not selling my guitar I have now, so...

Yeah, EC was right. Early 60's Beatles fan.
Ben
Maybe I'll start off by building something easier like a footswitch. I really need to start learning this. Useful skill to have.
Ben