Well i've always wondered, although it is kind of a dumb question, but why do pickups sound different if they're switched from the neck to the bridge? The neck generally sounds cleaner.

sometime this week i'm going to switch my emg 85(at neck right now) to the bridge, as i've heard it sounds "fuller" and better on the low end through the alder wood.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Last edited by electricsnake at Sep 10, 2007,
The strings are moving more at the neck position, less at the bridge. That's all there is too it really.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
to the best of my knowledge, it's due to the string vibrations. since the, I dunno, wavelengths of the vibrations aren't as wide at the bridge, the pickups have to be wound tighter to get a similar output to the bridge, which I THINK contributes to the better trebles at the neck pickup. Or, something....
it's the string's vibration. the first harmonic, which is the base note, the node of that (greatest amplitude) is sat the middle of the nut and the saddles. thats why when it gets closer to the neck it's a fuller, bassier tone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
That's one reason, and because the length they're placed from the strings.

The closer to the bridge, the brighter it'll sound. the farther, it'll sound more deep, and bassy.
Pick near the bridge with your guitar unplugged. Now pick near where the 24th fret is/would be. That's why.
lol that guy said the same thing as me and we posted at the same time
^lol highschool physics class.

my teacher was a magician. he showed us card tricks everyday in class lol. only stuff i learned in that class were waves sound stuff and electronics stuff
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I keep seeing this switch the 85 to the bridge thing. Is it one guy did it and it kept going from there. The bridge pickup is generally for leads and has a brighter tone. As for the physics of it has already been explained. And yes pickups are usually wound different for the positions. The bridge pickup is wound hotter as it does not get so much output from the strings. Switching the pickup with more bottom end to the bridge will give that position more bottom end, but would have the opposite effect on the neck position. I saw the post for the guy who tried this switch and now his guitar doesnt work. So proceed with caution if you dont have a backup guitar.