so there i am playing myself a song on my axe when suddenly m Top g sttring pops off after just finishing a little solo. it might have been from popping to hard so maybe some one can tell me how to prevent this because i'm not sure if i was popping right.
i hate that ****, i've been breaking so many strings lately its crazy

but if you're consistently breaking the strings there might be something wrong with the bridge
or the nut, maybe something sharp thats cutting it

or maybe you are just popping to hard
I can tell ya how, put on a dress and prance around a little like a pretty pretty girl who won't break strings. Men break strings.

Or get thicker gauge strings and play softer. I dunno, I get a sense of satisfaction from feeling that G string break.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Or get thicker gauge strings and play softer. I dunno, I get a sense of satisfaction from feeling that G string break.

Was that a joke? G string jokes get very old very quickly.

I broke my A string once, it just irritated me.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
I dunno, I get a sense of satisfaction from feeling that G string break.

Quickest way to get A Minor.

But seriously, stop rocking your guitar so hard, man. MAINTAIN THE FURY!!!
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Usually when you break a string through playing it means either your technique is way off or like someone said before there might be something sharp in the bridge. Depending on where it broke I would say your technique is off.
It may help if you do as I do and have a .055 for the G string which has more punch than a .045

This is what I use to measure the gauge of my strings, it's an engineers Micrometre and measures in thousandths of an inch, this is an imperial measurement and is what guitar/bass strings are gauged in.
Attachments:
Micrometre1.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I have only broken a string twice in my entire bass playing life. Once was when I first tried to slap and pop, about two weeks in. After a few attempts at popping and being inexperienced and so worried about damaging the bass that I barely plucked the top string at all... so I got frustrated and gave the G some right welly and it broke at the tuning peg. Probably a technique issue, but could have just been a bad string. I wouldn't like to put money on it.

Second time was when I must have got one of the lemons that missed quality control in the factory and it broke as I was tuning it up after first stringing it up. Factory QC issue.

If you're regularly breaking strings, it's most likely because you have a bad, extremely far too heavy handed technique that will hamper your playing as well as cost you money.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by John Swift
It may help if you do as I do and have a .055 for the G string which has more punch than a .045

This is what I use to measure the gauge of my strings, it's an engineers Micrometre and measures in thousandths of an inch, this is an imperial measurement and is what guitar/bass strings are gauged in.

IMHO lighter gauge strings sound better for slapping. More brighter pop of the G string and requires less need to get so physical.
if its because you pop too hard... pop softer?

I think we all go through this problem at some point; I know I sure did.

Part of it is also if your strings get dirty, they're more prone to just snap on you. The two past strings I've broke I've broke fingerstyle, and it clearly isn't me playing too hard.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
bass strings will only break for three reasons.

1. Your playing way to hard; Solution: Ditch the Punk Rock and go Acoustic Jam Funk

2. Your strings are to old; Solution: Change all of them or they will break again

3. There is somthing on the bridge that is wearing on the string; Solution: Go to a luthier
Quote by sammcl-15
Was that a joke? G string jokes get very old very quickly.

I broke my A string once, it just irritated me.

Actually it wasn't, there was no pun intended there.

Surprisingly enough, I break more strings from bends than popping. It's annoying, but very satisfying.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
I've only ever broken my D and my B string (in that order). The D broke while I was tuning up my bass and I guess because it was a really cold day (and I was quickly tuning from a drop tuning to standard) that it might have broken. But I know the B-string broke because it's the string I end up using the most, especially for a lot of slap bass. And it didn't snap, as much as suddenly stretch out at the bridge so much it gained two inches (not good). But also, sometimes if you go with better quality strings, that'll help.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
well my string broke around the bridge kinda the way yours broke mhylands it gained some length