Well, I'm new to guitar building, and I was wondering if there is a correct distance between the neck of the guitar and the bridge. And if so, how do I find it.
There is. It's called scale length. It's the measurement from the nut to the bridge.

The distance from the edge of the nut, closest to the bridge -to- the bridge side of the 12th fret is 1/2 the scale length. Chances are your measurement from nut to 12th is either 12 3/8" (24 1/2" scale length) or 12 3/4" (25 1/2" scale length)

There are a number of different factor involved in determining the exact placement of the bridge saddles: fret crown, string stiffness, etc. If you're using a bridge with adjustable saddles, it isn't terribly critical. For a light gauge string set, the high e string will have it's saddles at a slightly shorter distance (about 1/16") than the specified scale length. The low E will have it's saddle at 1/8 inch longer than the specified scale length. If you're using a tunomatic bridge, you don't have much travel for the bridge saddles. You'll want angle it slightly, so that there is enough adjustment available in the saddles to accommodate setting the intonation. All this is assuming you're talking about an electric with steel/nickel strings. On an acoustic with nylon strings, that's another matter entirely.

You can probably get a more thorough explanation at ProjectGuitar.com
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks, it's amazing how hard it is to find information like this... I must have searched Yahoo a dozen different times. I found one mention of scale length, but it didn't say anything specific.
the lenth from nut to 12th fret and the 12th fret to the bridge is supposed to be the same I think...
thats correct. livrockdie they are supposed to be the same. best place ot find information on stuff like this is forums, make sure you plan your build out good before you start.
Quote by livrockdie
the lenth from nut to 12th fret and the 12th fret to the bridge is supposed to be the same I think...
That's only true in theory. Or if the strings have no stiffness (Nylon).

For steel/nickel strings, the stiffness requires that the thicker (stiffer) strings have their bridge saddles farther away from the nut. Also, wound strings aren't as stiff as plain strings of the same diameter. If you look at the positions of the saddles on a properly intonated guitar, this pattern will be evident.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.