I heard from a few people on UG about their Jackson's sounding much better on the low strings if they switch their EMG 81 pickup-which is usually on the bridge, with the EMG 85-which is usually on the neck. Well, tonight, since i had about an hour spare, i decided to take the pickups off, and switch them. Everything went good..at first, the pickups have the same little metal fork type thing attached to the wires and have the same input into the guitar. So i get them switched, put all of the 8 screws back on, tighten the strings up, and plug it into my amp. I turn the amp on, and nothing..not a sound..To switch the pickups-even if they're the same brand, have i got to resauder and rewire and all of that crap? if so..then F it, too much trouble..And if i can't get my pickups to work when i re-switch them again back to the original places, tomorrow, then i'm gonna be screwed(my dad doesn't know i messed with my 800 dollar guitar's pickups :/)
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
you have to resauder for sure(or at least i had to when i put in new ones on my sg) it doesn't matter if there from the same guitar you have to resauder and i believe rewire my friend helped me so ill ask him exactly what to do.
gah..well that sucks..this is like the 3rd time i've taken apart my pickups for no reason..i'm using my dad's friggin power drill so i'm gonna have to hope and pray that i don't strip my screws or anything.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
1. It's spelled resolder...R-E-S-O-L-D-E-R...I'm not sure resauder is even a word...

2. You should never tear into your pickups and/or wiring without first drawing out an accurate diagram or taking a dozen pictures with a digital camera from different angles.

3. You should never tear into wiring/pickups when you don't know what you're doing.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you obviously haven't read up much on this. Every site I've ever found concerning pickup swapping/wiring has stressed the importance of having a diagram or pictures on hand, I have made sure to always stress this in my posts here. If you had read any of them you would know this. I'm sure any book you read will do the same.

Consider this a wake up call, start READING and RESEARCHING what you want to do when it comes to guitar modification. Failing to do that results in problems that might not be easy to solve.

There is no substitute for preparation.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I have those same pickups in a guitar, dont see why swapping them as you said would cause a problem. They both use the same connectors. So no there should be no need to break out the solder iron. I have a old set of EMGs from 91 they need to be resoldered, funny my spell checker still says its wrong. There is no quick connect on them. Generally when they sell a pickup as a positional pickup thats where its supposed to go. A bridge pickup will be brighter. And the neck more bottom end. So swapping them would not seem to make much sense. Thats why it says on the switch for a LP "treble" for the bridge pickup. And following the crowd isnt always the best way to go sometimes. Have a look at "stupidest thing a guitar player has ever told me" thread. People have some pretty obtuse ideas sometimes. And yea your parents might get a bit ticked off you busting a nice expensive guitar listening to "some people" on the internet.
You need to soder it with a soldering gun.

Make sure the wires are in the same spots as they were before (same position) and they have to be connected to the pots.

It's a big deal to go through, you should of done it with help.
you dont need to resolder EMGs most of the time they come with quick connect cables so you can simply just connect them back up, EMGs dont have to be resoldered like msot conventional pickups SO DO NOT TAKE A SOLDERING IRON TO YOUR EMGS!!!!!!