What's everyone's favorite distortion or overdrive pedal that you use? (If you use one at all, of course.)

I'm a beginner with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Roland Microcube. The microcube is a cool little amp but I'd prefer to get a tube amp. A good tube amp is pretty pricey compared with the solid states available but with preliminary research I see a couple of decent-looking inexpensive tube amps, such as the Crate Palomino lineup an the Epiphone Valve Junior. I'm leaning toward the Epi VJ (half-stack setup) which looks to be only $250...it just looks prettier and I like that "half-stack" look. But with only one channel and one volume control it doesn't seem geared for distorted sounds, which is where a pedal would need to come in. So, I just wanted to see what everyone liked in terms of overdrive pedals. I'd prefer something on the higher-gain side of OD, but am open to anything that would be suitable for this setup.
i dont use many OD/dist pedals and mainly use the amp's distortion...
anyway, check out the keeley modded BD-2 for overdrive...

dont forget the TS-808 too, but for a cheaper work-alike try the maxon od808
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

^ for a lil bit more money you can get an OCD

oh btw get the palomino V8 amazing little amp
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
my favorite is my custom made BYOC TS808 half-clone. it has its specs, but with some modifications. not to the extremes though. works awesome for me.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ i want to try that build...im scared to after this past mess up i think i will be alot more careful next time.

i want to try it side by side with my FD2 to see how it goes

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^u want a prebuilt kit from me? i'll probably charge you less than $100 w/ shipping prebuilt. the prebuilt stuff is really expensive on the website tho. like $120?

EDIT: its $135 + shipping...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ yea i might do that. because i want to try another pedal because i dont feel i did this one justice. but the TS clone looks alot harder

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^well... not exactly. but they're okay. and i think its worth more than the realy TS808 reissue that ibanez has. way more. so if u can like PM me when u feel like it, then its cool.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
alright can do

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
back to topic:

Valve Jr. would be a decent investment, but will be difficult to reach high gain tones. it is a very warm, bassy vintage sound. maybe you can invest in a RAT. i have one righ there next to me, so for the specs, go here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10361888
soundclips are on my profile.

or PM me for easier information access of course.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Fulltone OCD would have to be my favourite OD, sounds big, thick and crunchy.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by km-r
i dont use many OD/dist pedals and mainly use the amp's distortion...
anyway, check out the keeley modded BD-2 for overdrive...

The TS808 and OCD are completely different, the TS is a compressed, smooth overdrive and the OCD can be a raw open crunchy overdrive, the OCD cant really be compared to a TS style pedal.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
I have tried the ts808, liked it, I also like my J&H.

I want to try the fuzz factory (not technically a dist/OD I know) and an OCD, but they are so god-damn hard to find anywhere in england part from the net.
I'm not familiar with any of the newer pedals, mine are old geezers. I use a Marshall Bluesbreaker OD pedal, love it. A friend gave it to me for some equipment repairs I did for him. My distortion pedal is an old Ibanez SD 9 Sonic Distortion, I'll NEVER let that baby go. I've had it over 20 years, never checked out any new pedals because I never needed one. It needs some repair right now, but I've never heard a better sounding distortion pedal.

The Maxons are getting good reviews, they are supposed to be the same pedals they made for Ibanez all those years, the Tube Screamer and SD9 both have gotten good comments everywhere I've read. About the only issue I've seen is the two circuit board jobs are considered not as good as the original one board pedals. I've opened up my vintage SD 9 and a TS 9, both are stamped Maxon inside the case, and Maxon printed on the circuit board. I'm thinking about trying to find one later on if I can scrape up the bucks...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I use a Bad Monkey OD, which is really cheap but I like it a lot. I tried a few boss pedals but those were way too noisy. (and sucked major tone)
WTLTL 2011
Quote by km-r

I'd say that the Ibanez TS-808 was more of a nockoff of the Maxon OD-808 because Maxon were the company that made the chips and circuits for Ibanez back when the TS got famous, Maxon make the most authentic TS available. I love mine
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have one of the first line of DOD Grunge pedals that I WILL not part with. It's a fantastic pedal for searing leads. Compared to the one thats out now it destroys it.
I got my Metal Muff today, and WOW! It's amazing! I also got my Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 today. All tube, for about 200$. Incredible difference compared to the Spider I owned previously.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Well my favorite OD pedal is the only OD pedal that I have: the ElectroHarmonix Double Muff. It's a mix of about half fuzz and half OD, so I guess it's not really a 100% overdrive, but I like it. Gives a nice crunch or boost depending on the settings.

Quote by Stentroll
I got my Metal Muff today, and WOW! It's amazing! I also got my Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 today. All tube, for about 200$. Incredible difference compared to the Spider I owned previously.

I just got a Peavey Valveking Royal 8 on Saturday and I love it! This amp has nice warm tones and is beautiful to listen to. Works great with my Double Muff pedal and my DOD FX52 Classic Fuzz.
Quote by ssguitar
oh btw get the palomino V8 amazing little amp

+1

I use a Blues Driver for a little extra edge on the tone. Very Skynyrd / Allman.

Thinking about getting a TS9 but cannot comment on that now because I don't have one
Last edited by freepatriot at Sep 11, 2007,
I'm thinking about ordering one of thoughs BYOC Big Muff kits.You might want to look at thoughs.
^u mean the large beaver or sumtin? they're gonna do buy 3 get one large beaver kit for free promotion soon.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by climhazzard
my mi audio crunchbox.

+1, I have one of these. It was recomended by another UGer, cant remember the name (sorry to whoever it is )
Its a great pedal, and can get just about any range of gain you want, and its great for the money. So good for such an uncommon brand name.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by ECistheBest
^u mean the large beaver or sumtin? they're gonna do buy 3 get one large beaver kit for free promotion soon.

I think,lol they have cool names.That one proco rat type one seems neat with its like different modes.I would buy 3 if I had over $200 to spend on a couple dirt boxes.I needz teh moneyz for the mustang I want to buy.The guitar not the car.