Hi everybody,

I notice that everyone is still debating wildly about alternate vs economy picking.. But some of them dont even know exactly what economy picking is. Maybe my lesson can help:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/economy_picking.html

I havent made this lesson to convince people to switch from alternate to economy, I personally think its best to master the two techniques and use the right one in the right situation. Strictly using only one technique is not very open-minded IMO, so thats why I tried to explain what economy picking actually is.

Enjoy, and plz rate/comment!
Cheers!
(and check out my profile & youtube video => crit plz..!)
Well to say it's faster isn't the whole truth (oh no! this argument again...).
I know TS, that you didn't claim it was but I feel it's important that people understand why it isn't always ideal. Now, being in the tired state I'm in, I'm going to leave my explantation for somebody else.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
I actually economy pick naturally. I didn't even know that was what I was doing until a about a year ago. I'm tying now to work on my alternate picking.
Thank you for posting that. HUGE help; really cleared up a lot for me since I'm a beginner.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by si!
economy picking is my best friend, i just started doing it naturally, although i should get more into alternate picking i really see no reason to, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it? My minor pentatonic's fine, why bother learning other scales?
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Good article there man.

In my opinion, both picking styles are good. It's all a matter of preference. When I started, I used strictly economy picking 'cause it was so much easier. I've recently switched to strict alternate picking just because it's more comfortable for me.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Quote by Caressing Death
If it isn't broken, don't fix it? My minor pentatonic's fine, why bother learning other scales?

well if i alternate pick the same thing i would economy pick, it would sound pretty much the same, but if you play a different scale, it sounds totally different.