I've been really interested in learning Spanish for a while, but I honestly can't understand how to learn another language fluently without living in a Spanish speaking country. I've taken 3 years of high-school Spanish, I can read a Spanish newspaper and understand it all, even if I don't understand every single word, I know most of the grammar, and I can generally write out anything I need to say (Aunque a veces necesito un traductor... pues, mas del tiempo). But memorizing every word, or simply understanding a damn thing a fluent speaker is saying is completely beyond me. I mean, I'm a pretty intelligent guy, but god damn...

Does anyone here know a second language with English as their first? How the hell did you do it?
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
My girlfriend speaks fluent Farsi, and she spent several years immersed in it in Iran.... so I'm guessing being surrounded by it is pretty essentially to becoming truly fluent.......

However, it sounds like you're pretty much fluent in Spanish anyways!! Good effort!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Well i learnt finnish when i was... 12 and i'm now 16, one of my friends learnt it at the same time so we can just have conversations and no one knows what were saying.

but i think the reason you can have a conversation is because you dont get a chance to speak to someone who speaks fluent Spanish, Like with me, i talk to my friend and learn, you should find someone and just start of small till you can just finally talk to them normally.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
I've been really interested in learning Spanish for a while, but I honestly can't understand how to learn another language fluently without living in a Spanish speaking country. I've taken 3 years of high-school Spanish, I can read a Spanish newspaper and understand it all, even if I don't understand every single word, I know most of the grammar, and I can generally write out anything I need to say (Aunque a veces necesito un traductor... pues, mas del tiempo). But memorizing every word, or simply understanding a damn thing a fluent speaker is saying is completely beyond me. I mean, I'm a pretty intelligent guy, but god damn...

Does anyone here know a second language with English as their first? How the hell did you do it?

I know about as much French as you know Spanish, and really, it's about as good as you're going to do without some sort of immersion. I'm really not sure what you're complaining about, if you're at that level then you're just going to have to wait until you can go to Mexico or Venezuela or Spain or wherever you're interested in going, when you'll be fine.

As for "memorizing every word", that's absurd. You can live fairly comfortably not understanding every word you encounter in a conversation, never mind every word that exists.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
You can fluently read a spanish newspaper after just 3 years of High School Spanish? I'm impressed.
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
Quote by UndeadPaperclip

I Know Perfect english, and even Better italian....But I don't think it counts...

My mother Is native from boston and my father a native italian I Grew up in Bologna (italy), but my mother always speaks to me in English and i come to boston every summer..

So yeah, i have two fist languages
I like straberry pie

don't you?

Proud founder of the PedoBear fan club. PM me to join

10000+ Free webcam girls at:
camgirls.uk
I have a fourth language with English as my first

I can speak English, Arabic, French and some spanish.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Quote by Yamiyo
You can fluently read a spanish newspaper after just 3 years of High School Spanish? I'm impressed.

I actually kinda was too I was eating at a Mexican restaurant and there was a long wait, so I picked up a newspaper and it was kinda like "Whoah, it's in Spanish...Whoah, I can understand it!"

And actually, I failed one year of that Spanish because I hated the teacher and refused to do any work for her, and the last year I took it I got a D due to coming down with a bad case of Senioritis. So I don't even understand how I know it that far, other than living in Florida you're around it a bit more than most people.

NovemberRain: How did you get fluent in those languages? That is insane.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
I speak fluent English(my first language), fluent Malay as well. Mediocre Russian, understand minimal Greek (im forgetting though, no more greek friends here:[ ), and I'm trying to learn spanish and/or portuguese.

Yeah, being immersed in the culture helps.
BLACK OVERLORD OF THE ORDER OF THE KNIGHTS WHO SAY NI! pm SGstriker to join!

Quote by Bennetts_strat
^Dude, he's an 02'er.... He could put you in dog collars and make you his bitch if he wanted.

YOU stop phailing.
My second language is English. I can understand and speak it very good, and only lived in Israel and Argentina.
But I can probably understand when I hear English due to the fact that I watch south park and family guy over the net in English without subs and that trains your ears.

Just watch stuff in Spanish without subtitles and eventually you will begin to understand.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

well my partner is greek, so i should prob get round to learning Greek. i did try to learn how to right japanese once, got pretty far, then started uni and forgot everything
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
I actually kinda was too I was eating at a Mexican restaurant and there was a long wait, so I picked up a newspaper and it was kinda like "Whoah, it's in Spanish...Whoah, I can understand it!"

And actually, I failed one year of that Spanish because I hated the teacher and refused to do any work for her, and the last year I took it I got a D due to coming down with a bad case of Senioritis. So I don't even understand how I know it that far, other than living in Florida you're around it a bit more than most people.

NovemberRain: How did you get fluent in those languages? That is insane.

Well English is obvious, it being my first language. When I was a kid my mom spoke to me in English, Arabic and French (my parents are from Lebanon), so I could understand arabic and some french. 5 years ago I moved to Lebanon and here everyone speaks English/French/Arabic, so I picked up more on the Arabic and French side of things, by having to speak to people in those languages and taking classes in school. And as for spanish, I said I speak some spanish, so im not exactly fluent in it
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Last edited by NovemberRain273 at Sep 11, 2007,
I have english as my first language (barely ) and I can speak finnish due to spending lots of time over there when I was younger, you pick it up more easily. It is hard though to learn something properly, takes lots of repetition.
Well to be honest you sound like you're doing pretty well already. Just talk in Spanish as much as possible to your teachers and so on, and watch/read a lot of Spanish news on the internet. Going to the country would be a good idea though, that's why I'm going to do French and Italian at university, 6 months in each as part of the course!Woot!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I think it's the best way to learn, by being forced to use the language in everyday situations, none of this crap you learn in school.

+1
Damn right
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
in 50 years, everyone in america will speak spanish fluently because of all the mexicans that will live here.
Watch movies, read books and socialize with spanish people (like in cultural centers)
just practicing grammar wont get you far.
I did 5 years of French in school and got an A* in my GCSE but I'm nowhere near fluent, there's no way I'd understand a French person, or be able to speak it fluently to them. I could probably get by in France but I'd struggle. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think pretty much everyone who can speak a foreign language fluently has spent a decent amount of time in a country/place where the language is widely spoken...

Edit: I just remembered that I met a few guys a couple of years ago who learnt English by watching TV in English with Spanish subtitles so they could understand...
Last edited by bequickorbedead at Sep 11, 2007,
I studied French for five years in school, and I still have only the barest grasp of it, despite getting a good old B. I'd imagine it's much easier when you actually have to learn and are living surrounded by it.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I have english as my first language (barely ) and I can speak finnish due to spending lots of time over there when I was younger, you pick it up more easily. It is hard though to learn something properly, takes lots of repetition.

Yeah, I still can't read English, I just recognize the physical shape of the words.
Well, English is my second language, however I feel that I'm able to express myself quite adequately... I think the answer to why you're have such troubles is that you started to late. In Norway we start learning a second languages in the second year of school. (I was seven) At that age you learn languages so much easier.
my fiancé is from mexico and she moved here to texas in april 2006. she didnt know much english, she took a little in school, but she didnt like it (she got a 4 on one of her tests)

when we met, i found out she didnt speak much english, so i had to pull out my spanish that i learned in middle school (9 years ago). she took some classes here and she speaks and understands english pretty good. im sure being surrounded by the language helps a lot.

my spanish is getting better, due to the fact that her parents do not speak any english. 9 years can do a lot to your mind that you forget a lot of things, but actually speaking it and listening to it being spoken is very helpful. depending on how ppl learn, taking a class or talking to others may help. sometimes, believe it or not, i forget words in english and only can think how to describe things in spanish. after a while it becomes easier to say things, but i am nowhere near fluent yet.

we should start an all spanish thread just for fun
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
I'm kinda getting the hang of Catalan cause my girlfriend's Catalan, I know Spanish would be more practical but I like the idea of speaking a language that isn't that well known, plus I get points with the 'inlaws'
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
Quote by kadinh
we should start an all spanish thread just for fun

that'd be awesome in a very odd way.
Kabir
I can speak english fluently (obviously) and after that my second language is welsh. I live in Wales but round here there aren't many welsh speakers, nor do i have even the slightest trace of an accent.

I got an A in French gcse and am doing A-level french. Next year I'm going to switzerland for a month to practice all I've learnt. (Which isn't very much).

Can anyone here speak any welsh? Just wonderin'...I ain't that good.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
that'd be awesome in a very odd way.

consider it done...
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
I'm surprised actually, threads that are language related often turn into a bunch of metalheads saying how much they'd like to learn Swedish, then a bunch of Swedes coming in and talking in Swedish to piss them off.
Spanish...

Dang I learned it from a parrot
Quote by neopowell
Killing yourself seems like the only simple solution.