i'm a bit confused right now about the two
when using them in a specific key... lets say C as the root note

pentatonic scale and so forth with the caged system to get the whole giant scale
E-|--|R-|--|X-|
B-|--|X-|--|X-|
G-|X-|--|X-|--|
D-|X-|--|--|R-|
A-|X-|--|--|X-|
E-|--|R-|--|X-|

blues pentatonic scale .... caged system (B-Blues Notes)
E-|R-|--|--|X-|
B-|X-|--|--|X-|
G-|X-|--|X-|B-|
D-|X-|--|R-|--|
A-|X-|B-|X-|--|
E-|R-|--|--|X-|  

now my question is ...having the same pattern when you get the full extended scale (except for the blues notes)

C pentatonic- major pentatonic scale
C Blues pentatonic- minor pentatonic scale

if i played a pentatonic scale (not blues pentatonic scale) on a (12 bar blues on C)
will i be out of key?
coz i've been thinking all this time if im doing it right lol im so confused please help
tilet lickin' gd
Although the blues scale and pentatonic major scale have the same pattern of notes across the fretboard (apart from the blue note), their root notes are actually in different places, so the scales are not very similar at all (see below). The blues scale is interchangeable with the minor pentatonic scale, not the major.

C major pentatonic: C D E G A

C minor pentatonic: C Eb F G Bb

C blues scale: C Eb F Gb G Bb

To confuse you even more, over your twelve bar blues in C all three scales will fit and sound good, but that is because in blues there's often not a strictly major or minor sound.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
meh i noticed that ^^ coz i was playing major minor and blues pentatonic over 12 bar blues on C and i became confused coz they are different scales.. so will a C major pentatonic be out of key when used over a 12 bar blues on C
tilet lickin' gd
No, but if it sounds good it really doesn't matter if it is out of key. There are no rules, you don't have to play in key, but you need to be able to
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Play what sounds good...

That's been my answer to everything lately.

(and no, I'm not a theory n00b. People just place too much emphasis on it. It's not a set of rules so much as something to help you understand what's happening better.)