I couldn't find a thread on them... so here goes.

I just started to get into this amazing band (sadly enough). On BNRMetalPages, it says they've only released one album, Focus. Is this true? I've heard most of the songs off the album, and I'm wanting more!

Also, in some live videos, there are screaming vox, but no one on stage seems to do them, and Paul seems to only sing w/ a vocoder type effect on his voice. Is this normal of the band? I don't have any studio songs, only watching vids on YouTube.
Yeh theyve only released one album, but after a small reunion tour, they decided to write some new material!
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
Cynic are quite possibly the best band to ever exist. Favourite songs are "Veil of Maya" (which i can play ), "I'm But a Wave To..." and "Uroboric Forms".

Focus is their only release to date but they've written some new songs like Evolutionary Sleeper and Cosmos.

My advice, buy the album, even if CD collecting isn't your thing, you should own this album.

On the youtube videos they're just using the guys voice from the CD recording. In fact the guy who done the growly vocals wasn't actually an official member of the band, although he did help out with live shows and such.

When I came near losing my own life
It made me learn the true meaning of a smile
Quote by sevenchurches
Cynic are quite possibly the best band to ever exist. Favourite songs are "Veil of Maya" (which i can play ), "I'm But a Wave To..." and "Uroboric Forms".

Focus is their only release to date but they've written some new songs like Evolutionary Sleeper and Cosmos.

My advice, buy the album, even if CD collecting isn't your thing, you should own this album.

On the youtube videos they're just using the guys voice from the CD recording. In fact the guy who done the growly vocals wasn't actually an official member of the band, although he did help out with live shows and such.

You forgot to add how awesome "How could I" is. I've heard evolutionary sleeper and It's an awesome song which gives me high hopes for the band.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
You forgot to add how awesome "How could I" is. I've heard evolutionary sleeper and It's an awesome song which gives me high hopes for the band.

Damn it dude The intro to How Could I is bloody brilliant, but the outro is even better. Awesome song. Yeah pretty much every Cynic song is awesome.

I'd suggest you check out Portal. Their very similar to Cynic, and if you like a bit or moder prog rock check out Aeon Spoke. their material has a lot of depth.
Focus is such a masterpiece. Love every second of it and the robot vocals are cool as hell. Something that many hate, sadly. The three Portal songs that came with the re-issue are nice too. "Circle's Gone" is beautiful.
You can tell that Tool stole a bunch of **** from them.

I love this band but I prefer Atheist.

Also, I made my own top list thingy like The Thrash Four. THE TECH THREE: Atheist, Death, and Cynic.
Quote by metal Lover
You can tell that Tool stole a bunch of **** from them.

I love this band but I prefer Atheist.

Also, I made my own top list thingy like The Thrash Four. THE TECH THREE: Atheist, Death, and Cynic.

Watchtower? ?

Yeah cynic!
can't wait for the new material
evolutionary sleeper sounded great.

Textures is a great song/instrumental
Last edited by punk_metal at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by metal Lover

Umm...Pestilence???

Quote by gimme_fuel_89
overrated.

says the Metallica fan

Really big meh.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
Really big meh.

phail.

Each member of the group owns at what they do and have released post-Cynic work that is amazing, especially Malone.
I've been listening to Cynic for only a few hours now. Already in my very small list of bands to immediately impress me.

Celestial Voyage, holy sh!t?

Atheist and Cynic are mind bawglin'.
Quote by Guitarislife125
phail.

Each member of the group owns at what they do and have released post-Cynic work that is amazing, especially Malone.
werd
definitely checkin' these guys out after what I've been hearing, but I haven't seen a genre mentioned?
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Quote by nebraskan
definitely checkin' these guys out after what I've been hearing, but I haven't seen a genre mentioned?

If they're so awesome, what does it matter?
Quote by Sn^ke
Atheist and Cynic are mind bawglin'.

If you play it backwards it is...

Cynic = pure 00nage

But Atheist > Cynic

I have 3 Cynic Demos from before Focus in MP3 that are pretty poor sound quality but it's interesting to hear the evolution. If you look on eMule and BitTorrent you can find a couple live shows too. I have 2-3 avi's of bootlegged live videos and 1 is pretty good. If nothing else, at least check them out to hear a totally unique band.
MetallyGuitarded.com
- Music Man Silhouette w/stock Floyd - Evo(B) ToneZone(N)
- Boss SD-1 & CS-3, EHX Hazarai & Clone Theory
- VHT PittBull 45 - 2x12
^^ lol... Comparing Cynic to Atheist tho... I dunno, i'd be hard pressed to pick the better of the two. It's like having to pick a favourite testicle.
cynic are great ive seen them live this summer and it was a dream come true. cynic,death,atheist,pestilence and watchtower(first prog death band) are a must for every metalhead who is into some more experimental and inteligent stuff
Quote by MetaL_TerrorisT
I have 3 Cynic Demos from before Focus in MP3 that are pretty poor sound quality but it's interesting to hear the evolution. If you look on eMule and BitTorrent you can find a couple live shows too. I have 2-3 avi's of bootlegged live videos and 1 is pretty good. If nothing else, at least check them out to hear a totally unique band.

I've found all their demos online. They start as a thrash band and even their 1992 demo sounds more like Death than what Focus would sound like.