I need a guitar which is comfortable to play ( i prefer the gibson les paul feel) the thick clear sound of a les paul for riffing, that can still create the beautiful bluesy sound of a strat... and also chrystal clear clean tones....in short i need a guitar that can pretty much do everything from metal to bluegrass, but i have no idea where to start looking. I know i'll know the guitar when i find it the problem is i know what i want but due to minimal experience playing different guitars i'm out of touch with what equipment i need to recreate it....i've heard great things about paul reed smith guitars but i could really use the input of someone who knows a bit more about this kind of thing...can anyone help?
well basically, you're dreaming, unless you want to buy an Ibanez JEM, the steve vai sig, that could do all that stuff, its really versatile, but its like 5000 here in aus.
i've played the Jem and just really cant get on with it it just feels too flimsy like most ibanez guitars...but yeah i probably am dreaming unless i can get hold of john petruccis earnie ball music man thing...thats awesome....i may have to settle for buying a lot of exensive guitars...i wish i was rich
wel yea, if you have enough for a JEM then you could buy a Gibson Les Paul and a MIA Fender Strat. Or the budget option could be an epi les paul and a MIM fender strat. do not, i repeat, do not get a squier. theyre sh1t.
get a jackson, they're amazing, if you get a HSS model you can get wat you want to a certain extent, which i think is the closest you will get to achieve those metal to blugrass tones
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
i've got a les paul at the moment...but it has no whammy which is one problem and alot of the time i find it has too chunky a sound for my kind of soloing
PRS nuff said.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
this is my biggest problem with guitars.....i hate playing strats they're just all wrong for me...although i LOVE the tone
do you not like the thin neck? and like the chunky neck of the les paul? coz the MIM strats have chunkier necks.
could be, but it doesn't make much sense that way round as i have small hands....i probably just got used to the beefy gibson, but i didn't like them when i played ibanez either and they have rediculously thin necks
Well you dont need a top end prs. I got a 10 year old one secondhand for a pittance compared to their new prices. New is £1600 i got mine for £570 off ebay. You could even try out a SE custom Singlecut. I hear good things for the money. Still my full on PRS cost just a little more than a new SE Custom does new.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
^ i have small hands too, but guitar isn't really limited by hand size, but what you like. i've always played strats, and i started when i was 4, so im used to the small necks, and i dont liek the chunky necks of gibsons. but if you like the guitar you're playing, you're going to play better, so find one you like, but by the sounds of it, its a PRS or JEM.
Someone needs to go and try out:

- Paul Reed Smiths
- Different strats (one with a different neck)...

Hell...buy a start second hand and fit your own neck?

Quick, run to your nearest music shop!
Quote by SamuelHen
and they should be for the price they ask

SE ftw? Though the music man petrucci signatures are NICE.
Seriously, go with PRS. I've got my eye on the semi-hollow SE Custom.
ESP EC-400.

check that out, les paul look, emg or syemour duncans, ur choice... great axe
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Maybe consider a humbucked Fender Telecaster with dual-to-single-coil and phase switching?