Silly question really but say you had a 5watt valve amp could you fiddle about with it if you knew what you were doing a get say 10 watts out of it?

if you can what would you need to do?

thanks
Dont qoute me on this because i could be completely wrong but i think Kerry (call1800ksmyazz) changes the transformer or something in Valve Juniors which increases the wattage.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
If you change the transformers to get more wattage be careful you don't outmatch the speaker because it'll will start to buzz or possible just break altogether
StueyALBB
ah ok changing transformers that cool

yeah i want to try and supercharge a amp which is simialr to the epihone vavle junior i want to try and get some more power out of it

will be using it to run a 4x12

:-)
Kerry's VJ puts out 11 watts I think it was, but thats because of 2 power tubes & a new tranny.
A 5w amp may very well put out 11 watts stock when cranked...I've seen '100 watt' marshalls do 160 at full bore. New tubes and transformers would help, but keep in mind that would be mostly headroom gain and not volume, and it would probably be more efficient to just get a larger amp.
If an amp is not fixed bias and if the amp is biased a little cold stock (some are) you can rebias it hotter at your own risk. May add a little power, but more likely more distortion.
a more efficient speaker would get you more volume, but it won't be anything drastically louder
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Horlicks
insert more tubes? Isn't there spare slots?

no?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^Kerry has added sockets and transformers so you can do it...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
You can add tubes, this is true...but hard to do...and then you'd need a new OT, and possibly an new power trans too...which ends up being as expensive or more so than a new amp.

Whoever commented on speaker selection, bravo to you! Put a really efficient speaker in it, it'll make a huge difference (depending on what it has in it right now).

What you're looking for is a high "sensitivity" rating. 97-100dB is normal, 103 being "high". If you take a 25 watt amp with a 97dB speaker and put a 103dB in it, it'll sound as loud as a 100 watt with the original 97dB speaker in it.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by Gabel
^Kerry has added sockets and transformers so you can do it...

Yes, but then it's a completely new amp- rather different than just swapping tubes. Also, I was thinking that the VJ cab may physically be too short to hold a KT88.

Edit: +1 speakers. Best way to more volume.