Is it really bad to barre chord using your thumb and index fingers, rather then just using your index only ?
Thanks
you shouldnt be using your thumb for anything at all...

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
You know, you just wrap it around the top and hit the low E string with it. I Kinda thought it was bad to use it, but whenever I watch people play guitar there is always someone using there thumb.
their probably not using their thumb, they just have their thumb sitting above the fret board when they play. like me.

you should be barring with your index findger (wait.. whats an index finger? ..ok, i think thats the one you point with lol) so yeah barre with that. then use your pinky, ring and middle finger under the barre

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
ohhhhhh...

ok, i can see for grabbing like an F# for a D/F# chord (I think it is easier to move to another open chord like that), but for barre chords, I like to barre with my index finger.

It all depends on what feels right, though. Also, what you are switching to.

I sometimes use my middle, ring and pinky to play an Am if I am going to slide to another Am shape barre chord next (like in State of Love and Trust by PJ).

depends on what fees better, i guess
Whatever, do what feels right.

Grabbing barre chords with your thumb allows you to play a different style, i.e. incorporating open string hammer-ons in the midst of a barre chord!

To all you purists: try playing The Wind Cries Mary without your thumb.

As far as I can tell, Jimi uses his thumb. If Jimi does it, so should you.

...but you should at least know the regular barre chord, too. It comes in handy in situations like:

Bm7
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

First learn how to walk, then how to run. Try to learn barre's the correct way, get confident with them and be able to switch back and forth fluidly, then experiment with changing how they are made to gain speed. It's not wrong persay to use your thumb, but it's not technically correct either. A lot of musicians do it tho, myself included. Try the intro to Suite Madamioselle by Styx. You can't do it without using your thumb. It even states to do so in the music score. It's just one of those things that you learn along the way. Also, some chords that you might see musicians play by hooking their thumb over the top and fretting the low E string aren't necessarily barre chords either. Go check out Fretkillr's stuff at youtube. All his vids have a great angle shot of him playing and you can see clearly that he uses his thumb a lot, and with great success too.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Whatever, do what feels right.

Grabbing barre chords with your thumb allows you to play a different style, i.e. incorporating open string hammer-ons in the midst of a barre chord!

To all you purists: try playing The Wind Cries Mary without your thumb.

As far as I can tell, Jimi uses his thumb. If Jimi does it, so should you.

...but you should at least know the regular barre chord, too. It comes in handy in situations like:

Bm7

I don't think hendrix would ever need to use his thumb because his fingers were so big, but he always uses it to mute unplayed strings.
The Hendrix videos I've seen I didn't see any thumb use, but that's not to say he didn't.

And I've played Wind Cries Mary quite a few times without using my thumb. I think I know where you're talking about, the first couple of notes. That's three 5ths walked up the neck using the 1st and middle finger followed by 3 hammered riffs, same fingers. The rest is all barre chords and leads. You just have to be able to play the barre chords really accurate to get the high "chink" to come out right.

I've seen a few people use their thumbs to hit bass notes, I think John Mayer does that some. Great player that boy...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I have been playing barre chords for about 5 months. They still hurt my hands, will this go away with time, or will it always hurt?
Do you play a lot? If you play frequently it should go away eventually once the muscles in your hand adjust to the activity.
Hendrix pretty much always played with his thumb over the neck, and when he played e shaped barre chords he pretty much always fretted the e string with his thumb.

John Mayer does it coz SRV did it, SRV did it coz Hendrix did it.

Doing this frees up your little finger (if you don't play the a string) allowing you to add those cool R&B style hammer ons and pull offs within the chord. If you want to play like this then it's perfectly OK to do it, but learn how to barre properly too. Also it can be a lot easier to play straight chords like it depending on what you just played.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Barre chords you barre with just your index finger or depending on the chord, your middle finger and index.

For a D/F# you can use your thumb to hold down the E-string and block the A-string, though there are alternate ways to form that.
Kattttt.
Do whatever you feel like doing, I see people using their thumb all the time.
My Gear:

Fender 62 RI Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s