Page 1 of 4
Good old subborn Brits sticking it to the man! So the EU are "allowing" us to use both metric and our badass imperial measurements in the long term, which is great. I'm very attached to the notion of "nipping to the pub for a pint" and don't really want to be ordering a "large beer", it just sounds wrong.

How does everyone else feel? I personally use imperial for measuring the weight of people and animals (stones and ounces) and for heights and distances (feet and inches).

You've got to love some of the imperial measurements though, my particular favourites are:

barrels per day: rate at which oil is consumed by an engine

1 barleycorn = 1/3 inch
1 rod = 5.5 yards
1 chain = 4 rods

Come on you crazy EU bastards: this sh*t's awesome! I love telling people that my car travels at 6400 chains per hour
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I think a mixture of the metric and imperial systems are best, though maybe it's just habit
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
You say that but wouldn't you prefer to nip out for a litre? ...
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Good old imperial.

Once again, the EU shows that its attempt at supranationalism has failed. Miserably.

Hurrah for being British!

My car gets 67 rods to the gallon, by the way...
Terms and Conditions apply.
Last edited by cagnius at Sep 11, 2007,
Why couldn't you just switch to metric, and still call it a pint of beer?

Crazy brits...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'm disappointed. Metric is easier to use. Also, it's better for the economy as we wouldn't need to convert measurments for import/export.
in blink 182 eyes' boobs in australia are bigger because they are metric boobs
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by nirvanarhcp
I'm disappointed. Metric is easier to use. Also, it's better for the economy as we wouldn't need to convert measurments for import/export.

That's not really a justification.

There are no economic pitfalls involved in having to use a standard convertor.

Also, I'm sure the EU principle of mututal recognition applies here and allows Britain to continue using its imperial measurements.
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

However: Metric is much simpler and easier to work with when collaborating on projects

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by nirvanarhcp

better for the economy???? not particularly i like to think that anyone trading between countries can handle a simple conversion rate,

Read about it earlier.

Huzzah!
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by schnips63
better for the economy???? not particularly i like to think that anyone trading between countries can handle a simple conversion rate,

Simple things can still take up more time and every little step counts during the production of things. I'm not sure how significant it is in economics though.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
http://elftor.com/elftor.php?number=151

Quote by Kailoq
Simple things can still take up more time and every little step counts during the production of things. I'm not sure how significant it is in economics though.

they lost 2 of those spacecraft things they sent to mars because someone screwed up on metric<->English conversions
Last edited by seljer at Sep 11, 2007,
We use the metric system in Canada and can still order a pint at the bar.

Of course, all of our produce is measured in pounds just because it's simpler. A kilo of apples is a lot of apples.
I'm always stuck between the two systems. Metric makes sense and is generally a much easier and much more logical system and I'd say it's better for many things, but I'd be horrified if I had to go and order 568.26125 ml of beer in a pub, or buy 453.59 grams of bananas on a market stall.

The dual system works well enough. It's not exactly difficult to do conversions between the two. Every schoolkid in the country is (or should be) taught how to at a pretty young age, so there's not much of a problem. It's just EU interferance again...

Despite being pretty left-leaning and liberal, that's an awfully conservative point of view I have.

Quote by Kensai

Crazy brits...

Because... it isn't a pint?
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Sep 11, 2007,
Quote by Kensai

Crazy brits...

WIN
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I believe the ruling actually means that retailers may use imperrial measures on their products AS WELL AS metric. Frankly, converting them isn't so difficult anyway. And a poundcake sounds f*cking stupid in metric(four hundred and fifty-three gram cake just sounds gay).
Quote by Caustic
Because... it isn't a pint?

Why isn't it still a pint?
Quote by Kensai
Why isn't it still a pint?

Because, without imperial measures, it would be 568ml.
Yes but it's still a pints worth.

I've been wanting the euro for aages.

I lose so much money on exchange rates between visiting parents =/

And... we still have pints? I had no idea. I thought it was just an expression now....
Quote by MightyAl
It's still a pint in Canada, though...

It's in a pint glass. They fill the pint glass up. If I went into a bar and asked for 568ml of beer they wouldn't know what the hell I'm talking about.
Quote by MightyAl

Ah, well here's your solution:

Take one empty beermug
Fill it with one pint (old measurement) of beer
???????
Profit!

Or am I missing something?
No that's exactly how it goes down!

I don't see the problem. It seems so silly to be in the EU for the bits that suit you but not for the currency or the travel without needing passports. The UK may as well just leave if it's such an inconvenience....
Quote by Kensai
Ah, well here's your solution:

Take one empty beermug
Fill it with one pint (old measurement) of beer
???????
Profit!

Or am I missing something?

Yeah, we can still call it a "pint" now, whereas before we were being told that it would be illegal to do so. Now we can use any measurement system we please

I'm going to make up my own system called the Yakman system

1 Yak = 9 inches (the official length will be stored in my pants)
1 Yakman = 13 litres

I'm going to mix up between metric and imperial just to make things even MORE confusing.

EDIT: brb, I'm nipping down the pub for a 1/26 Yakman of beer
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Yeah, we can still call it a "pint" now, whereas before we were being told that it would be illegal to do so. Now we can use any measurement system we please

I'm going to make up my own system called the Yakman system

1 Yak = 9 inches (the official length will be stored in my pants)
1 Yakman = 13 litres

I'm going to mix up between metric and imperial just to make things even MORE confusing.

EDIT: brb, I'm nipping down the pub for a 1/26 Yakman of beer

Rubbish. You're 6.5, tops.
Quote by cagnius
Rubbish. You're 6.5, tops.

Naa man, I'm a straight up sixer, truth be known

Ah well, it's how you use it that counts. Tragically I'm the lovemaking equivalent of a Parkinson's patient with an airfix model: mildly humorous and ultimately producing nothing worth boasting about

Jokes, I'm like Casanova in the sack, obvs...
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Yeah, we can still call it a "pint" now, whereas before we were being told that it would be illegal to do so.

Oh crap, Finland is in large trouble! A large beer is called "tuoppi" over here as it has for as long as anyone can remember!

...or then you had just misunderstood it a little...
6400 chains an hour?

Speeder >=[
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by Yakult
Naa man, I'm a straight up sixer, truth be known

Ah well, it's how you use it that counts. Tragically I'm the lovemaking equivalent of a Parkinson's patient with an airfix model: mildly humorous and ultimately producing nothing worth boasting about

Jokes, I'm like Casanova in the sack, obvs...

Honesty is the best policy.

I'm like Mirsad Beslija. To the untrained eye I offer a lot, but in reality I'm just quick and my final ball into the box is always poor. Oh dear, I've said too much.
Quote by whoismilan
Oh crap, Finland is in large trouble! A large beer is called "tuoppi" over here as it has for as long as anyone can remember!

Ah yes, but the Finnish have a memory span that's shorter than my sex sessions. That's why I love Finnish women.

Quote by cagnius
Honesty is the best policy.

I'm like Mirsad Beslija. To the untrained eye I offer a lot, but in reality I'm just quick and my final ball into the box is always poor. Oh dear, I've said too much.

I love self-deprecating
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by whoismilan

Yeah but it's a colloqialism, you can call it what you like... Whenever I've asked for a pint nobody's ever said "sorry... no, you can't call it that"...

EDIT: lol @ yakult
As much as I am very much in love with metric and believe it to be the more rational and superior system (everything's in tens, ace) I was shocked to think that those EU morons thought they could actually outlaw imperial measurements.

Like most people, I measure height and weight in feet and stones and distance and speed in miles and MPH.

I would have no idea what speed I was going in KM/H or M/S. Nor do I know my height or weight in metric.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yes but it's still a pints worth.

I've been wanting the euro for aages.

I lose so much money on exchange rates between visiting parents =/

And... we still have pints? I had no idea. I thought it was just an expression now....

I used to think you were cool -_-

Kill the traitor!

Fact is if we fully went metric there would no longer be pints because 568ml isn't a round number, it'd be rounded down to 500ml so we'd have half litres of lager.

Quote by DogWithoutABone
We use the metric system, and still buy beer in pint's.

Same here, point is the EU was trying to force us to use just metric, meaning all road signs would be in Km rather than miles and beers would be sold in half litres rather than pints which is slightly less.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
I was shocked to think that those EU morons thought they could actually outlaw imperial measurements.

Yeah, exactly, they were treating it as if it were a criminal offense to have two forms of measurements in constant use.

Britain: it's not dumb, it's quirky
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Yeah, exactly, they were treating it as if it were a criminal offense to have two forms of measurements in constant use.

Britain: it's not dumb, it's quirky

It would have been illegal in the sense of it being illegal to call all goat's cheese and its variations, feta. It would still have gone on.

What the EU bureaucrats fail to aknowledge is that you can't change things that have been engrained into the mentality of a nation over night.

Don't even get me started on the EU. It's a bloody farce from start to finish.
Quote by Kensai

Crazy brits...

becauswe then it wouldn't be a pint
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by Rankles

I used to think you were cool -_-

Kill the traitor!

Fact is if we fully went metric there would no longer be pints because 568ml isn't a round number, it'd be rounded down to 500ml so we'd have half litres of lager.

*sniffle*

They wouldn't really be able to make the pint less than a pint because it's a British tradition, like in Finland they have something called a tuppi, even though they use metric.

Also, due to my school being convinced of the imminent change to metric, I never got taught ANY imperial measurements. How many yards in a mile? I have no idea. Do yards even go into a mile?! It's just too confusing...

Quote by cagnius

What the EU bureaucrats fail to aknowledge is that you can't change things that have been engrained into the mentality of a nation over night.

Other countries in the EU managed it...
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
*sniffle*

They wouldn't really be able to make the pint less than a pint because it's a British tradition, like in Finland they have something called a tuppi, even though they use metric.

Also, due to my school being convinced of the imminent change to metric, I never got taught ANY imperial measurements. How many yards in a mile? I have no idea. Do yards even go into a mile?! It's just too confusing...

Other countries in the EU managed it...

Aye true but then ten years ago they were saying we'd never go fully metric, and suddenly all our sweet packets were in grammes...

I'm down with that, but I guess it must have annoyed the grown ups.

Saying that, we had one or two lessons in year 5 on imperial measurements. Stuff like barrells and knots. It was a bit daft, but at least we learnt the feet, inches, pounds and stones needed for daily life.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Page 1 of 4