I am looking for a new distortion for my rig. I currently have it like this:

My guitar is plugged into a wah > A/B effect loop switcher with master bypass > Marshall JCM 2205.
I got my other effects in the FX loop.

My question, I want a good metal distortion that does heavy metal really good, I'm playing a lot heavier 80's and 90's thrash. I want to plug that new distortion together with my EQ in effect loop A, and I want to keep my effect loop B clean so I can play cleans. Note I want to keep my JCM 800 clean all the time, but I want to crank it with a distortion on effect loop A.
BOSS Metal distortion.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
It must really have a good high gain thrash sound even on a clean amp, I'll see in the suggestions. Any others?
Get a proper amp, that's my best advice. The distortion from a real tube amp just beats that of any pedal by the longest shot you can imagine. Boss Metal Zone works if you want a good pedal distortion, but the distortion from an amp is just a hundred times better.
^ If you're comparing the Boss Metal Zone to 'real amp' distortion, no woner the amp wins favourably....

A ProCo RAT is a good choice. Don't go with any Boss or Digitech products... The EHX Metal Muff is also worth a look.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
surely you can push the 2205 into it with the EQ and maybe an OD pedal?

+1
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
why do you want to put a distortion pedal onto a clean 2205? that amp was made for distortion! thats like buying a bassman and putting the new boss fender bassman pedal through it to get it to sound bluesy! why don't you just turn it up?
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Quote by Cuddrow
Get a proper amp, that's my best advice. The distortion from a real tube amp just beats that of any pedal by the longest shot you can imagine. Boss Metal Zone works if you want a good pedal distortion, but the distortion from an amp is just a hundred times better.

What's this guy on?

Anyway any thoughts into the "boost your current amps OD with a tube screamer" tip?

Anywya, Turbo Rat, apparently the New Rat IIs aren't too good.
Metal Muff . Very nice metal sound.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
I know the distortion on my 2205 is better and all. The thing is, I want to switch between clean and overdrive quickly on my pedalboard. any solutions?
I don't use the other channel on my JCM 800... it's quite useless.
I have a Rat clone on sale. got a switch between a Marshall Rat and a Turbo Rat and a Clean Boost.

i'd say Rat for 80s. 90s maybe the EHX metal Muff. no digitech or boss.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard