Page 1 of 2
Hey,
Ive been looking everywhere for a 2205 if you have one for sale, let me know. the one chance i had at getting one I couldnt stretch to the asking price at the time.
Anyway my requirements in an amp are these (quite specific, I know):

> tube (fully tube, no exception)
> 50w-ish (wont need 100w, but at least 30-tube-w)
> Gain/preamp vol control, B M T knobs.
> Presence + Reverb (at least one of them, preferably both)
> Marshall tone (dosnt have to be a Marshall but that tone.
> I can work with a 1 channel amp and for the few cleans that I need I would just roll back the vol.

I play Classic / Hard Rock, + some blues.

Bands/Artists' Tone that I want to be able to achieve:
VanHalen, Randy rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Slash, Ang + Mal <AC/DC>, (you get the idea).

i wont set a budget but do remember that I am in England. You name the Amp that can nail most of this, and ill get back to you,

many thanks,

Ciaran
Orange Rocker 30 or Rockerverb 50 would suit you perfectly!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
yep orange
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Windsor - save yourself a TON of money to get a reverb pedal.
Quote by Gabel

I knew somebody would say that
Quote by Gabel

i agree.

why don't you buy a new amp gabe, so you can start recommending a different brand in every possible thread, the oranges are getting repetitive
Rocker 30 or Rockerverb 50 handle van halen? does it go that far?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
Rocker 30 or Rockerverb 50 handle van halen? does it go that far?

Rocker 30 just get's it, but you can get it, especially with an OD. RV50 does it with ease.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Orange is a good idea, also maybe the Laney GH50L?
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
ok, what do you guys think of this:

Hammerhead Head Features:

50-Watt pentode or 25-Watt triode Class AB switchable.

All-valve circuitry.

2 channels.

Solid state rectifier.

Presence control.

Contour knob and gain control for channel 2.

Valve-powered reverb.

Independent/interactive EQ switch.

Standby switch.

Shared 3-band EQ.

Master volume.

Dual 4 ohm, dual 8 ohm, and 16 ohm speaker outs.

12AX7 preamp valves with DC powered filaments.

EL34 power valves.

Footswitch jack (switch not included).

High-voltage fuse.

16-gauge bent and spot-welded chassis.

11-ply plywood cab construction.

26"W x 10-3/4"D x 10-3/4"H.

42 lbs.

Grainger 412SL 4x12 Speaker Cabinet main features include:

4 X 12in Lady Luck Eminence speakers

Max power: 280W

11-ply birch cab

Vinyl covering

Recessed bar handles and reinforced corners

28"W x 28-1/2"H x 14"D

for £399.00

I know a place where I can get the head on its own, what would you value the head at on its own?
This Fits EVERY technical requirement that I stated but I probally wont be able to try one out so I wouldnt know how good it is, or isnt as the case may be.
Has anyone got this amp/ tried it, any info on it and your opinions very welcome.
That head is 100% a rebranded Epiphone So-Cal, I doubt it will do what you want.

I'd go with an Orange Rocker 30 or Rockerverb 50. They will do all your tones perfectly.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
to all who suggested orange amps, I wont be able to get one of them because even the Rocker 30h is £565 new on GAK and the Rockverb 50h is a quid short of a grand. I know that I stated 'no budget' this was simply so that I could hear lots of suggestions, my real budget for an amp head is around £400. but I will try these orange amps, just to see what all the fuss is about .

Anyone here tried the Epiphone So-Cal?
anyone have/ tried the Peavey Windsor?
What would it be like for:
Classic / Hard Rock, + some blues.

Bands/Artists' Tone that I want to be able to achieve:
VanHalen, Randy rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Slash, Ang + Mal <AC/DC>.

Ok its a 3 horse race at the moment,
>Wait for a 2205
>Peavey Windsor Head
>Epiphone So Cal 50/ Grainger Hammer head (So Cal 50 copy)

Your advice n comments, very welcome
Last edited by Campbell_x50 at Sep 12, 2007,
^dirty blues, cleans not important at all, i would settle for a mediocre clean sound. Anyway with tube amps you can just roll back you guitar volume to get a cleanish sound.
ie
if I went for the Windsor, rolled back my guitar vol, (coz its tube) what ever clean tone I have right their would do.
conclusion:
cleans not important at all
Well the Windsor sounds like a perfect choice then.

It can do blues, classic rock and hard rock really well. I tried it and I thought it was a great amp and it would suit you well. 120 watts might be much, but I could get a great sound at a shop, so it sounds good at low volumes.

Well get the Harley Benton with the V30s. Even if the cab ain't the greatest you will have V30s and can always change the cab later and keep the speakers.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

so gabe your saying:
Windsor better than Epi So cal 50?

If so what would you (and everyone else) reccomend,
the Windsor + 2x12 V30 bundle for £425
or...
wait for a 2205 in England, pay up to £400 and then get that same cab (HB 2x12 V20's) for £140 so say £550 all in?

Long term + short term advice and opinions please and of course, other suggestions.
Boy, all those replies and I suggested the Windsor three repies into this thread.

You're welcome.
ahh but demea, you are the unsung HERO of UG. I secretly acknolged your wisdom, as did the rest of us, we just didnt think that you needed telling, thats all .

but just so's ya know, this is how i feel.

Thank You Demea!!!
Well depends. Both are good, but I think the Windsor is great.

It's up to you.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

You said the Orange costs to much, but the price you quoted is new, and since your open to a used JCM why not a used Orange? Also, Ozzy used Orange back in his early days so I think it should be heavy enough.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Well I seem to have seen an utter steal in the new Turnkey catalog . Wait for it.

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 2x12 50w combo for £398 reduced for £700.

"Its a steal, its a deal its the god damned sale of the century in fact F**K it Nick il keep it myself!"

Its not on the website yet so if you want one id cross my fingers that they have stock and phone them asap.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Well I wouldn't recommend the Vintage Modern, it's overall not that good.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by halikus
Well I seem to have seen an utter steal in the new Turnkey catalog . Wait for it.

"Its a steal, its a deal its the god damned sale of the century in fact F**K it Nick il keep it myself!"

Its not on the website yet so if you want one id cross my fingers that they have stock and phone them asap.

I got my copy of that today, too. Regardless of whether or not people say the Vintage Modern is that good, I think that the same price (ish) as you can get a DSL401 for is not to be sniffed at. Shame the Orange Tiny Terror is still £299

Turnkey actually have some really nice prices currently. Like the Grainger Blues Twin (Epiphone Blues Custom) for £299 compared to the £599 from GAK. But I'll shut up now - don't want to go off topic too much...
Quote by Campbell_x50
ahh but demea, you are the unsung HERO of UG. I secretly acknolged your wisdom, as did the rest of us, we just didnt think that you needed telling, thats all .

but just so's ya know, this is how i feel.

Thank You Demea!!!

Hey. Thats what I'm here for.
Quote by halikus

dude I realy hate to burst your buble but when you contact them (which I did) they said that the best price that they could do on the VM combo was £579. I seen that price in the month before the most recent one's catalog, .
What about a jcm900? you can get them for around £400 on ebay now, I've got the 50 watt 2x12 and play everything on it. i got mine for £250, so you can get them dirt cheap. I'd go for a 900 if i were in your situation. though a orange RV50 would be next - only 2nd best 'cause of its price compared to a jcm900 now.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

damn it, I cant decide please, help, me...

all these good sugestions...

The grainger looks perfect for what id need,

The Windsor would be the cheapest option,

Theres a 2205 in england on ebay right now,

arrrrrrgh

any input from you guys greatly apriechated (btw, not drunk, just a crap speller)

Ciaran
If you're willing to go used, it'd be worth your while to check out an old Laney Protube 50 AOR series head. They're about 300USD, and louder and have more gain on tap than any JCM800 I've ever played. And at around 150GBP it wouldn't be a major monetary loss if something happened.
Have you already played the JCM800, not the one on ebay, but a 2205 before? You came on the thread saying that is what you wanted but couldn't get one so would take suggestions...

Well as one has come up I think you should bid for it and if you win it great, if not then save up for a rocker 30, although there is one on ebay atm, I have no idea what it will go for though. Personally I would be waiting till the last day on that then going in with the absolute most you are preared to bid with the smart bidding thing.

For the record I have played the Marshall and the Orange but not the other amps you are chatting about so don't take my advice as gospel.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Last edited by 6StringCraig at Sep 14, 2007,
^ I apriciate your advice Craig, and for the record I have not played a JCM 800 2205, but from my research into this amp, I like what I read from users ie HC and other forums/reviews, Like what I hear in clips ie youtube and other sound clips that i found and beacuse it is highly ascioted with the 80's and I play that style and I has all the features that id need, so the 2205 is the amp for me.

what is your opinion and views on the amp? and would you recommend that amp for me?

Ciaran
Page 1 of 2