I heard Orange drop are better O.o but I never got around to exploreing. Thanks for asking the question and reminding me. I'm going to go look now, If i find an answer i'll post it if it isn't already posted.
Orange Drop Tone caps are better sounding. they're a little chunky in size, but they are worth the hassle. Ceramic Disks are not usually used in a guitar/pedal/sound circuit because it sounds very sterile, harsh, and a bit too trebly.

what r u trying to do with the caps? guitar's tone cap? definitely go orange drop.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well im modding out my tele (and maybe following that, further mods to my les paul), and giving it humbucking pickups, 500k pots, and 0.022 microthingy capacitators. i just wondered which of the two kinds i should get. think thats settled it though, for 50p, better sound it worth it.

cheers
Yeah, Orange Drop capacitors are pretty much good for any application in which they have the right capacitance- both amps, pedals, and guitars. Somewhat expensive, though.
And Orange drops are usually larger than other stuff. If your guitar has a tight cavity, I wouldn't use them.
I usually just use polyester, or other metal film ones, rated for lower voltages. I like to keep my control cavitys neat and tidy, in case I get bored and want to add a circuit in there.
I also don't really know if a capacitor's material even matters in a passive guitar circuit...I don't really think so, honestly..Except I think ceramic might be noisier.
I'm going to follow what they say, seems I've learned something new today. I can't seem to find the compisition of the orange drop lol. O.o ironicly enough. I'm sure i'll find it just after i post this lol.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I also don't really know if a capacitor's material even matters in a passive guitar circuit...I don't really think so, honestly..Except I think ceramic might be noisier.

it does. i tried it. the single coil hum was PRONOUNCED with the ceramic discs too. they were somewhat crisper than orange drops.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
If you're going for "vintage tone" on a fender, you'll need to use ceramics.

... cuz that's the junk Leo used.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by WickedBeast666
I'm going to follow what they say, seems I've learned something new today. I can't seem to find the compisition of the orange drop lol. O.o ironicly enough. I'm sure i'll find it just after i post this lol.

Metal film, I believe.

EC: Hmm...I don't know...Then again, I haven't used anything other than poly film ones in my SG for a long time...
poly films the green ones u mean? theres polyurethane and polystyrene so yea lol.

green ones have pretty bad tolerance imo. and it sounds too muddy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I put an orange drop capacitor in my strat and it sounds a bit better than the stock cap. The only difference I noticed was that it's a big smoother when you're fiddling with the tone knob. It's not really jumpy at all like the stock cap.

It's not really worth opening up your guitar to install. Though if you're already in there, go ahead.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!