Good idea. I put mine in a broom closet with some pillows at home.
sounds really good man !!!
love it.
make sure you don't overheat the amp though
and also i don't think it good for the speaker, cranking it in a closed area...
just sayin...
Quote by The red Strat.
sounds really good man !!!
love it.
make sure you don't overheat the amp though
and also i don't think it good for the speaker, cranking it in a closed area...
just sayin...

Thanks trS

The cabinet breathes quite a bit. It's just a regular kitchen cabinet .. with leaky doors. It blocks out a lot of sound but it is by no means airtight.

I was thinking I might put some holes on the back, up near the top, to allow some convection movement of the hot air out of the cab. What do you think?
Yeah you'd probably want some ventilation of some kind.

...and maybe paint it or something so you don't have a plain ol' kitchen cabinet on stage with you?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by freepatriot
Thanks trS

The cabinet breathes quite a bit. It's just a regular kitchen cabinet .. with leaky doors. It blocks out a lot of sound but it is by no means airtight.

I was thinking I might put some holes on the back, up near the top, to allow some convection movement of the hot air out of the cab. What do you think?

that would help, yeah.
i suggest you put the amp in a way that the it has alot of space in the back, for the speaker to 'breathe' , that + ventilation would be good i think.
How does a mic'd speaker in an isolation cabinet compare to attenuated output? I assume the mic'd speaker would sound better, but you have to worry about the acoustics of the cabinet as well.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Yeah you'd probably want some ventilation of some kind.

...and maybe paint it or something so you don't have a plain ol' kitchen cabinet on stage with you?

But, but ... then it won't look right when I make a peanut butter & jelly sandwich on it.

It sits stage right, out of sight.
Quote by antareus
How does a mic'd speaker in an isolation cabinet compare to attenuated output? I assume the mic'd speaker would sound better, but you have to worry about the acoustics of the cabinet as well.

I've never used an attenuator so I can't tell you how they compare. The recording at the end of the article is a pretty faithful reproduction of what it sounds like standing next to it. The recording is straight off the main mixing board during a live church service, so what you hear is what they heard (minus any stage bleed).

Scotty
I just noticed that you're doing this with a five watt amp. For home use I can understand: it is pretty loud; but on stage the drums will be louder than the amp anyway, so I don't really see the point.

Why?
Quote by mr_hankey
I just noticed that you're doing this with a five watt amp. For home use I can understand: it is pretty loud; but on stage the drums will be louder than the amp anyway, so I don't really see the point.

Why?

Not correct, sir.

My five watt Class A tube amp is louder when turned to 5 than a drum set only ten feet away. This cabinet has made my drummer very happy because now he can hear himself play.

Anyone who has not played a class A tube amp in person owes it to themselves to go to Guitar Center, find the 5W crate palomino, get a guitar off the wall and turn the amp to 5 and play a couple of aggressive 1st position barre chords.

No lie.

Note: if this was a solid state amp, I would agree with you.
Quote by freepatriot
Not correct, sir.

My five watt Class A tube amp is louder when turned to 5 than a drum set only ten feet away. This cabinet has made my drummer very happy because now he can hear himself play.

Anyone who has not played a class A tube amp in person owes it to themselves to go to Guitar Center, find the 5W crate palomino, get a guitar off the wall and turn the amp to 5 and play a couple of aggressive 1st position barre chords.

No lie.

haha what does your drummer use ? fisher price ?
seriously that's one quiet drummer you got there
Well since my volume knob doesn't work(still gotta get it fixed) I just use the gain knob on the amp and turned all the way up its pretty loud. I'm not really sure what level the volume knob is at tho since I guess the volume knob is at a fixed position but I think if I had the volume and gain up it would go with a drummer well.
Quote by freepatriot
Not correct, sir.

No lie.

My 6 watt (class A, woohoo ) amp ,when cranked, is just a tad softer than any drummer I've ever played with.

You have a very special drummer.
I don't know if its good to compare two different amps in volume even if they have similar wattage. Some amps will be louder than others, a fender champ 600 is for ex. quieter than some other 5 watt tube amps. Everyone compares the sound loudness you get by watts but the reason higher watt amps are louder is they higher wattage supports the loudness and just having more watts doesn't mean that the amp wants to use them, maybe i'm wrong tho..or not explaining good
Last edited by yoyodunno at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by freepatriot
Obviously, you guys have a more valid opinion of what my ears hear than I do.

Obviously not, I just find it hard to believe you, unless your drummer only plays with brushes or something like that.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by mr_hankey
Obviously not, I just find it hard to believe you, unless your drummer only plays with brushes or something like that.

Did you listen to the sound file at the end of the article? It's a live recording.

I don't want to turn this into a pro/anti-Palomino thread. But it's a loud amp. Which is why I suggested people go play one.

I realize that in your location, mr_hankey, that may not be possible or practical.
It just occurred to me that tonight i will be at the location where I keep this rig, to pick up my Strat (swapping some pickups tonight) ... and I have a db meter.

I will measure the sound pressure level w/ the db meter at five feet, with the cabinet open and closed, and report my findings. Does that sound reasonable?
Quote by freepatriot
Did you listen to the sound file at the end of the article? It's a live recording.

I don't want to turn this into a pro/anti-Palomino thread. But it's a loud amp. Which is why I suggested people go play one.

I realize that in your location, mr_hankey, that may not be possible or practical.

Yeah, I've never seen one in a shop around here; barely any crate amps at all, actually. I've played a couple of different (+/-) 5 watt amps (Champs, Valve Juniors, GA5s, etc.) and none have been as loud as you describe your Palomino. And please don't think that I'm accusing you of being deaf/stupid or lying, this is (probably) just a matter of perception.

How have you had it setup on stage? I usually put my Champ up on something high right behind me, or I won't hear it well enough.
Quote by mr_hankey
And please don't think that I'm accusing you of being deaf/stupid or lying, this is (probably) just a matter of perception.

True, but you did tell me I have a "very special drummer" ... which I did take as an insult. Sorry if I became overly defensive.

Quote by mr_hankey
How have you had it setup on stage? I usually put my Champ up on something high right behind me, or I won't hear it well enough.

Very good question. I have had to keep it waaay offstage, about 20 feet behind me and pointed 90 degrees away from me (so that neither the speaker grille nor the open back faced me... in other words, so that the side of the cabinet was turned towards me). Otherwise it was too loud.

Here is another mp3 of our style to give you an idea of what kind of playing we do, if it helps. This was from before the cabinet, so the amp was waaay offstage for this:

http://freepatriot.com/imagewarehouse/03%20Pinched%20Solo.mp3
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
Your drummer must play awfully quiet, cause even with it full cranked, it shouldn't interfere with the drummer. But, the specific situation you're dealing with could be an exception
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
Wait I don't get this, you have it mic'd right? So does it wattage really matter if your running it through the PA?
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Quote by Funcoot
Wait I don't get this, you have it mic'd right? So does it wattage really matter if your running it through the PA?

test - this forum's connectivity is flaking out - test
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
Strange. Had to reboot twice.

Quote by Funcoot

No, it really doesn't. This thread has drifted.

It started out with me showing pics of a recycled kitchen cabinet used as a leaky isolation cabinet. It drifted into whether or not a 5 watt Palomino amp actually needs to be kept quiet in the first place.

If I understand him correctly, mr_hankey believes that my amp could not possibly be too loud un-isolated, and thus does not need to be in an isolation cabinet, despite my assertion that, when I keep itout in the open, it is loud enough that the rest of the band complains. I think it comes down to his opinion of what I am hearing vs. my opinion of what I am hearing, but maybe I'm missing his point.

I think several people are responding without having read my article that I linked to in my original post.

When I was up at the stage earlier tonight, I took readings with my db meter. I set the response to SLOW and the weighting to A, and placed it five feet from the isolation cabinet. I had the amp turned halfway up and the gain was set around 1 or 2.

When the isolation cabinet doors were open, I got a reading of 99. When the doors I shut the reading is 92. I suppose some here will tell me that a 99 does not really justify the band telling me to turn down and does not need an isolation cabinet. I we're just going to have to disagree.

Quote by yoyodunno
Its running through a PA?! When did he say this?

In the original article, linked in the original post. The whole POINT of the isolation cabinet in the first place was so that I could put a SM57 to the PA board in front of the amp and turn it up and not blast the band.

I hope some here have enjoyed the idea of a recycled leaky isolation cabinet. I hope others have enjoyed the debate over a 5 watt Palomino.

Good night, guys.

Scotty

freepatriot.com
Last edited by freepatriot at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by freepatriot
I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

don't get what you're trying to say here...

i saw you took Mr_hankey's 'you have a very special drummer' as an insult (i don't know why though)
and my post was similar to his so if i you also took mine as an insult, my apologies, it wasn't meant that way
Quote by freepatriot
True, but you did tell me I have a "very special drummer" ... which I did take as an insult. Sorry if I became overly defensive.

Quote by deputysalty
Your drummer must play awfully quiet, cause even with it full cranked, it shouldn't interfere with the drummer. But, the specific situation you're dealing with could be an exception

That's what I meant, maybe I should have made it more clear.

Still, the fact remains, that I really cannot understand how your amp can be that loud. Does it have a crazy efficient speaker or something? How do you EQ? Lots of mids?
Quote by mr_hankey
That's what I meant, maybe I should have made it more clear.

Still, the fact remains, that I really cannot understand how your amp can be that loud. Does it have a crazy efficient speaker or something? How do you EQ? Lots of mids?

mr_hankey, what is your opinion of the db reading of 99 at 5 feet? Loud or not loud?
freepatriot.com
Quote by The red Strat.
don't get what you're trying to say here...

i saw you took Mr_hankey's 'you have a very special drummer' as an insult (i don't know why though)
and my post was similar to his so if i you also took mine as an insult, my apologies, it wasn't meant that way

No harm no foul. I'm sure neither of you meant it the way I took it.
freepatriot.com
99 db is loud!!! Put it this way at 100db your breaking european noise pollution laws.

i get about 106 out of my stereo which is rated at 40 odd watts. (old pioneer)

and thats LOUD!!!
Last edited by Ashdownlover at Sep 13, 2007,
jesus, now.. when you get 99dB out of a 5 watt palomino.. is it just loud? or does it actually sound like a guitar playing something?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Ashdownlover
99 db is loud!!! Put it this way at 100db your breaking european noise pollution laws.

i get about 106 out of my stereo which is rated at 40 odd watts. (old pioneer)

and thats LOUD!!!

I tried to get people to go play one at a guitar store earlier in the thread. I think it's just easier to click "reply" and type 'bull----'

It's a loud amp.

Quote by Kivarenn82
jesus, now.. when you get 99dB out of a 5 watt palomino.. is it just loud? or does it actually sound like a guitar playing something?

It sounds so loud that I don't want to be in the same room as it.

...hence the kitchen cabinet / isolation cabinet.

...hence the thread.

Quote by yoyodunno
Its like those commercials that seem louder, its because they have different frequencies that the ear picks up better so it will seem louder.

That's why I took pics of the dbmeter. It's empirical, not subjective.
freepatriot.com
Last edited by freepatriot at Sep 21, 2007,